Is it too early to start a Royal Ballet Nutcracker topic?

I very much enjoyed the recent Insight:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/watch-live-rehearsals-for-the-nutcracker-with-the-royal-ballet-on-16-november-2017

I like seeing Christopher Saunders coaching: to me he just exudes confidence, energy and a great understanding of the detail and characterisation of the roles.  And it's always such a pleasure to see dancers rehearse - Mayara, Tierney, Bea and Nicol in this Insight.

There's also some cast changes:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-changes-the-nutcracker-201718

Do hope dancers recover quickly from any injuries.  But I think this means over the main Christmas period Anna Rose will be dancing Clara on 20, 23, 28 & 30 December and 1 & 2 January.  Do hope she'll have time to enjoy the celebrations.

• Like 4

Really enjoyed Insight too. Christopher Saunders has a very special talent, he is firm but tactful and considerate. You can see the dancers improving and enjoying their work. I often wonder do the dancers volunteer or are they invited? I am looking forward to the dress rehearsal of Nutcracker.

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Royal Ballet Nutcracker, 2017-18

I am looking forward to this in December completely by chance I've chosen a good evening I think...with both Naghdi and Ball and Anna Rose O Sullivan performing. I booked this one because it was a  night I could do as need tobe in London very early the next morning so very pleased with the casting when I saw it!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I am looking forward to this in December completely by chance I've chosen a good evening I think...with both Naghdi and Ball and Anna Rose O Sullivan performing. I booked this one because it was a  night I could do as need tobe in London very early the next morning so very pleased with the casting when I saw it!! 

You seem to have hit a jackpot, LinMM :)

• Like 3

On 22/11/2017 at 21:00, Rachelm said:

I loved the insight evening too! It was really interesting to compare Heap and Magri''s Rose Fairy side-by-side: both beautiful in different ways. Such a lovely role!

Heap as the Rose Fairy is interesting casting.  In rehearsal, Magri seemed better suited to such a musical and lyrical role.  Softer, somehow, if that makes sense? 

• Like 2

Magri is more experienced than Heap and is returning to the role whereas this is Heap's first season as the Rose Fairy. Heap may not be a natural fit and obvious casting for the role but its demands will stretch and develop her as an artist. She seems to be one of those dancers who prefer performance and projection to safety first careful non-performances. I don't mean that she is slapdash in her dancing simply she tries to make something of the choreography she has been given. This was very noticeable in the disaster that was Acosta's Carmen where she was not satisfied with merely reproducing the choreography but wanted to make it work as a piece of theatre and came very close to succeeding.

If I were an AD intent on developing Heap's performance in the key roles she already dances;looking at her potential as one of the contrasting Shades in Bayadere and trying to determine when she might be ready for her first Odette/Odile this is precisely the sort of role I would be giving her to dance. 

• Like 11

I too thought that the side by side coaching of Magri and Heap was very illuminating and agree wholeheartedly re musicality with AnnaC. It isn’t that Heap isn’t musical, simply that Magri’s dancing seemed to flow through the music much better. And I too would describe Magri as ‘softer’.

isnt it amazing how different dancers respond so differently to the same music with the same choreography? And thank goodness they do; life would be very boring otherwise. 

• Like 4

Oh, that's bad luck, Jillykins.  

I mean no slight on Heap; in the more dramatic, "flashier" roles, I think she's very watchable indeed.  Carmen, Odile et al would seem perfect for her.  Where she suffers in comparison to Magri, Naghdi et al is in lyricism (is that a word?), musicality and even sometimes in implementing corrections.  Not just in the recent Nutcracker rehearsal footage but previously too.  This is merely my observation, obviously.  As Legseleven says, ballet-watching would be very dull if all the dancers interpreted a role in the same way.  I just think Heap is perhaps better suited to a bolder more dynamic role than Rose Fairy.  Horses for courses. :)

• Like 4

The experience thing maybe that Magri has taken part in competitions like Prix de Lausanne so although may have graduated at the same time perhaps Magri has more experience of performing in front of audiences etc.

i thought that in particular this last year Magri has really started to stand out more so be interesting to see what happens for her now.