RBS Ja leotards

dancingmuppet

Have just received my dd ja leotard and it's really wide, I think even with the belt on it's going to look very pulled in at the waist. Can anyone tell me how strict they are with the fit of it? As I think the size down will be far to short in the body for her! Maybe I should order the smaller one to compare.

Why not wash it on a hot wash and tumble dry - it may shrink a little?

or you could just take it in up the side seams with a sewing machine.

When my DD was in the JA's (6 years ago) I remember seeing all shapes and sizes, one parent even lined her daughter's leotard because it was a wee bit see -through.

Best wishes, enjoy the experience.

Jx

• Like 1

Was it the size 2 or size 1 that you ordered? My eldest daughter who is petite wore the size 1 for year 5 and 6 and there was still room for her to grow. I have just bought the size 1 for my younger daughter who is going into year 4 and don't expect to have to buy her another size until she hopefully joins mids!!! I remember trying the size 0 but it is very short in the body. All of the girls in my daughters class last year wore the size 1. Hope that helps a little!!!

Agreed, the sizes are a little strange! My DD wears the JA size 1 and is going into yr 6. Her normal leotards are still a zero but the JA zero was so short.

Some of the Jas wear their leotards with lots of growing room shall we say!! I prefer to have a good fit as hate seeing baggy leotards!

They do shrink a little with washing and if its too short in the body this would be uncomfortable to dance in so be a little careful there!!!

Good Luck x

Hi

My DD is going into year 6 (first time JA) and I bought her size 2 and its pretty baggy. I was worried the size one would be too small. It is baggy under the armpits and crotch. But I didn't want to squeeze her ito a smaller one and it show her bits! And she'll probably grow! She's 10 but only 127cm tall and in size 8-9 clothes. Making the national skirt was the hardest part but it's done now!!!

Hi

My DD is going into year 6 (first time JA) and I bought her size 2 and its pretty baggy. I was worried the size one would be too small. It is baggy under the armpits and crotch. But I didn't want to squeeze her ito a smaller one and it show her bits! And she'll probably grow! She's 10 but only 127cm tall and in size 8-9 clothes. Making the national skirt was the hardest part but it's done now!!!

The size 1 maybe better for your daughter. My DD was 135cm last September when she started and the size 1 fit nicely. I have just ordered the size 2 as the size 1 was getting too short on the body for her and there appears to be a big difference in size. I think we will have to take it in at the seams as it is quite wide!!

Ax

Hi Amber21

Are you at Leeds going into year 6 too? Your daughter is tall at 135cm! Although I know my 10 year old is very small at 127! Oh well, I'm sure she'll grow into her size 2 leotard! Maybe they'll be someone there with a tight looking size 1 leotard and they can swop!!

Hi Eloise_please

Lol!! Thats how tall she was last year starting in year 4!! Yes she is tall for her age even taller now going into year 5!! I would offer you her size 1 but in comparison to the new ones it looks quite worn so wouldnt even give it away now! I have just stitched the sides of her new leotard and it fits quite nicely now. Good luck with your year 6 it will be an exciting time for you and your DD!!

Ax

• Like 1

if you haven't got an overlocker you should stitch stretchy material using a ball-point needle and a zig-zag stitch. Although it sounds strange the zig-zag stitch works perfectly well allowing the material to stretch without the stitching breaking as it would with a straight stitch. I used this method to make leotard-type costumes before I got an overlocker.

How did you stitch it? I don't think my sewing machine will cope with stretchy fabric?

Hi good idea re size 1! The suppliers are okay re exchanging as I orginially ordered a size 0 and returned for size 1. Probably best to call them maybe quicker. I just stitched the seams by turning inside out and using white thread and needle stitched by hand a normal stitch about an inch in on each side following the line of the leotard, it just lies beside seams when turned the right way round. Looks okay now.

Ax

Edited by amber21

Have fun at your first JA classes everyone :) I have such fond memories of starting JAs with my ds and dd - very exciting time. And I made some really good friends over our time - make sure you chat to the other parents (although try to avoid the ones who think their child's the next Fonteyn/Nureyev ;) ).

I wish we'd had Facebook then, as I've lost touch with a couple of parents from the class who I used to chat to a lot and I can't remember their surname to try and find them!!

• Like 4