Sergei Polunin - news and discussions - cont'd

On 14/05/2019 at 04:02, FionaE said:

I think Sergei is the only principal dancer that is regularly commissioning works before age 30.  

The question about ‘not turning up’ applies only to the collaboration with Peter Schauffuss from the early days of leaving the RB, which he left, along with Igor Zelensky.  

He never once missed a performance while employed at the RB.  That’s a pretty big statement of commitment.  

There was the possibility of performing M&A at RB with Osipova in 2017.  Has anyone involved revealed why those performances didn’t go ahead?  I’d love to know. It wasn’t long after their personal relationship had broken up.  So that’s a possible explanation.  Or the RB’s own inflexibility. (Osipova herself suffered recently as had to let down Russian fans by not performing Don Q there because the RB wouldn’t release her - despite being booked months in advance.  Something odd going on KoH?).  Those are the only 2 occasions of Sergei not turning up, that I am aware of.  Happy to be corrected.

It would be good if the British could understand how a rigid classical company can (and did) limit the artistic development of those dancers who need more.  Have we noticed how the ballet world has opened up so much more in the last 10 years - many principals and soloists (and Corps de ballet for that matter) now perform elsewhere and get involved in other projects.  It’s a new world for dancers - partially prompted by Sergei’s own move - and so much richer artistically for all - dancers and audiences alike.

Since 2012, Sergei has had a brilliant classical career at the Stanislavsky and in Munich, increasingly alongside his own projects.  If you research his shows this year alone, you’ll discover a very hardworking artist performing day-after-day to sold-out audiences all over Europe, including Russia, Germany and Italy.  And that’s not to mention the many movies, interviews, modelling etc on top of his own foundation fund for young dancers (a la the Nureyev Foundation)

Re the above by paragraph:

1. Really? If he's a principal dancer that says he works regularly with a company, and it's usually the company director who either commissions or choreographs new works, it's not left to the dancers to arrange. If he's freelance he's not a principal. Semantics but let's be specific.

2 & 3. Not quite the case. At the very kindest interpretation, Mr Polunin has allowed his name to be used as a selling point on a number of occasions of which I'm aware, for none of which he had any intention of showing up. When he was employed at the Royal Ballet, it was his job to show up, what he was paid to do. We show up at our paid jobs every day, but it's not necessarily a "pretty big statement of commitment" unless in my case my commitment to eating and sleeping with a roof over my head!

4. Bad example to use Marguerite and Armand in 2017. For months it was TBC on the cast list, then it was Mr Polunin, then just a few days later it was again TBC, soon replaced by Vladimir Shklyarov (and the ins and outs of why it wasn't a Royal Ballet dancer are not for this particular thread).

5. The Royal Ballet is a "rigid classical company"? News to me, and I'm sure to Wayne McGregor, for one! Meanwhile, dancers from companies all over the world have been guesting all over the world for decades. Dame Beryl Grey danced with the Kirov and the Bolshoi, in the Soviet Union, in the late 1950s. Dame Margot Fonteyn danced anywhere with anyone (largely to support her **** of a husband), particularly supportive of and dancing with the Australian Ballet in its early years. Li Cunxin originally went to Houston Ballet as a guest before defecting. His second wife Mary McKendry was dancing with London Festival Ballet when she guested in Houston. David McAllister and Elizabeth Toohey guested with both the Kirov and the Bolshoi in the mid-1980s. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

6. Many movies? Modelling? Foundation fund? Interviews? All done by many many dancers. He's certainly not unique.

On 14/05/2019 at 06:22, FionaE said:

I doubt Sergei will be performing full-on classics much, if ever.  And why should he.  He was easily the best technically and dramatically at RB 10 years ago, and then for 5+ years at Stanislavsky in Moscow and later at Bavarian State Ballet.  Lots of brilliant even perfect YouTube clips of Giselle, Mayerling, Don Q, Coppelia, Rhapsody , etc etc.  What more is there to challenge him repeating those for the next 15 years?  So it’s on to other artistic challenges for him.

The Royal haven’t had anything to match Sergei in his classical prime. 

So it turns out that the complete package is a very rare thing indeed.

1. So you saw every performance by every principal in the Royal Ballet in 2009? Wish I had your budget! Added to which you've watched every performance by the Stanislavsky AND Bayerisches Staatsballett since Mr Polunin started dancing with those companies? Because you can't (shouldn't) make the claims you are unless you have.

2. Really? Sweeping statement or considered opinion after watching every Royal Ballet performance since Mr Polunin joined the company?

3. Agreed.

On 14/05/2019 at 08:50, FionaE said:

He is still finding his way with new contemporary and classical works.  Not everyone liked the post-balletic Baryshnikov either.

I saw his Spartacus in Munich recently - the emotional charge from his performance is unlike anything I have ever experienced.  I am sorry for you who don’t see him that you will miss out.

1. Are you saying Mr Polunin is now post-balletic?

2. First sentence is your opinion, which you are welcome to express. Second sentence is again your opinion, and you must allow others to disagree with you.

On 14/05/2019 at 09:00, FionaE said:

As you know Putin is the president of Russia recently re-elected with 77% of the vote.  That’s many many millions of Russians that voted for Putin.  I know many in the West think negatively of Putin, but that is not how he is perceived by the majority of Russians.  

I bet there are many Americans with tattoos of Trump. Is that any different?  

How we would laugh though if anyone in UK had a tattoo of Farage!

1. Glad you say 77% of the vote (it was 76.69% actually). Are you aware that only 67.5% of registered voters actually voted? Are you aware that registered voters are less than 75% of the eligible population? "Many in the West" is a turn of phrase most frequently used by those not "in the West", so here's where I start wondering where you're actually writing from...

2. Trump has three more elections to win and even more human rights to trample before you can compare him with Putin.

Ignoring the Farage suggestion as it's hardly relevant or a similar situation.

On 14/05/2019 at 20:18, FionaE said:

Yes, lots, he is a complicated person without much adult mentoring ever.  Without Zelensky and Kobborg he would be completely off the rails in my opinion.

Plenty of people didn’t like Nureyev either for his actions.  And Nijinsky went completely mad.

1. Polunin had the same teaching and available mentoring at the Royal Ballet School as any other student. Cannot speak as to the situation when he joined the company. Yes it is good he seems to regard Zelensky and Kobborg as mentors or at the very least people to listen to, whatever he then does.

2. Irrelevant, both, as neither was in a similar situation 

On 14/05/2019 at 21:00, FionaE said:

What you say is true, that current RB dancers get lots of opportunities outside RB.  My point is that wasn’t the case (except in a very limited way - eg Adam Cooper as The Swan) before Sergei’s departure highlighted it.  Things have changed, and he was one of the catalysts for that change.

You really don’t know much about the current Sergei:

He has a starring role in a French movie coming out in September - currently in editing process.

He is already funding 4 children through dance school - name another 29 year old dancer doing that.

He has been appointed artist director of a new dance school in Russia.  Again name another 29 year old dancer doing that.  

The negativity and inaccuracy of the English press really does influence British people.  Such a shame.

1. Debunked this myth of Royal Ballet dancers not being allowed to accept opportunities outside the company earlier on. 

2. How big his role in the French film is, remains to be seen. As another poster pointed out, there are people of younger than 29 running their own quality dance schools while continuing to perform themselves.

3. If I were British, living in Britain, I'd certainly be reading the "English press" although I'm unsure if you're referring to English-language press or English-location press. Fairly normal for press local to a person to influence a person. 

23 hours ago, FionaE said:

And yes the Crimean school is going to be an interesting story to follow.  The setting is absolutely beautiful.  We in the West have a narrow perspective of Russian / Ukrainian issues.  I for one feel I’ll-informed to comment either way on that.  The history of Crimea’s changing ownership goes back many centuries, most of the last 200 + years it has been part of Russia. 

Bugger the setting, what about the facilities and faculty and finances? And again, a curiously Russian "We in the West" comment.

10 hours ago, FionaE said:

Actually I was as taken in by English press negativity about Sergei as many of you are.  I was put off by the stories of drugs and scared by the tattoos -why scared?  They are not on my body.  

And then I saw him dance on YouTube (clips from all the classics including Macmillan and Ashton), the Dancer movie, Take Me To Church.  I spent hours online.  Oh my word what had I missed.  And now I have seen him dance live too.  I cannot explain in words

So basically now you're saying you've seen him on YouTube many times, and only seen him dance live once?

10 hours ago, FionaE said:

I studied ballet with Merle Park, Shirley Grahame, June French, Mignon Furman amongst others.  I doubt very much that Jeremy Kyle or Putin did!

When I was seven years old Antoinette Sibley came to my little ballet school and watched/taught several classes (she was friends with the principal). I can legitimately claim to have studied with her, at least for that one class.

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

I didn’t suggest he was stifled, Sergei said so ‘the artist in me was dying’.  He wasn’t being let go to take on other challenges that he wanted.  And I suspect, he had a family immature way of communicating that with RB management at the time, which wouldn’t have helped.

Regarding research, I have looked into the names you mention and after discounting performances with RB tours to Australia:

-Kobborg and Cojocaru appeared with Australian Ballet in 2014.  (After Polunin).  Both had left the RB under a black cloud in 2013.

-Galeazzi performed in a Gala in 2016, after retiring from the RB in 2013.

-McRae is Australian, you’d expect him to be allowed to dance in his home country.  Although it has been very occasional. 

-David Ashmole was actually a principal of the Australian Ballet company for 10 years

but I do take your point that there were some guesting appearances allowed before Polunin.  Though I will say they were strictly limited in number and to only the most prestigious dancers, eg Bussell.

I’m sure Sylvie Guillem can describe how much a fight it was for her to be allowed to do so.  Wasn’t this the reason she left Paris  Opera Ballet?  I seem to remember her being similarly vilified at the time.  

The ballet world has become much more flexible, as have the RB under KoH, and not only because of Polunin.   We, the audience, are certainly benefitting.  I hope you are too in Australia.

5 hours ago, FionaE said:

1. At 21 he still had some time to develop his artistry. I think he may have exaggerated just a tiny bit there.

2. Kobborg and Cojocaru had danced with Australian Ballet in the mid-2000s as well. Galeazzi did not perform in any Australian Ballet gala in 2016 (they didn't do any galas that year), in fact she performed about ten years before that. McRae in fact trained at the Royal Ballet upper school and never danced with the Australian Ballet except as a guest, as has Alexander Campbell. Miss Benjamin trained at the Royal Ballet School as well and only ever danced with Australian Ballet as a guest, in 1987 and then in I think 2007. David Ashmole in fact started with the Royal Ballet where he reached principal rank in 1975, then danced with the then-Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet as a principal from 1976-84, only joining Australian Ballet after that.

3 & 4. It's not clear what you're saying about Miss Guillem. She couldn't guest out while in Paris? Or London?

I notice you always refer to "Sergei" but that others are referred to by their surnames only or by both forename and surname. This, to me, smacks of an apologist. Thoughts, anyone?

Also, yes, mods, with my much-loved brother's recent wedding fresh in my mind, a word in support of @Tatiana and the above request.

Edited by Sophoife
  • Like 8

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, FionaE said:

I believe he felt Instagram is a not very serious place and they he could have a laugh without consequences.

Fiona: I fear that this is incredibly naive of you: Polunin has (or did have) the same agent as Ralph Fiennes; he has (or had) many friends in the public eye; he has been in the "business" for many years; he has done a whole publicity junket for his own film. He knows full-well the  way social media works. He has said in one of his subsequent interviews - in terms -  that he wanted to destroy what he had created because that is the way to create again...What he does is calculated recklessness and his current choice is to re-position himself as a Russian with a crush on Putin - irrespective of how that goes down in the Ukraine where he was born and where his parents and grandparents still live.... 

It is curious and perhaps telling that through his recklessness he sabotaged his friendship with David LaChapelle, to whom he surely owes a great debt for the Hozier video and all the media exposure that brought him....

Polunin would have done well to have emulated the career path of Sylvie Guillem - who was not, in truth, "vilified"  when she left the POB: she made it clear she did not want to be bound in that  "administrative relationship"  as she has since described it, and sought more freedom by going the RB as a permanent guest with a minimum number of fixed performances per season. It is a very great shame and I think ultimately a detriment to his career (and certainly his technique and artistic development) that Polunin did not have the wit or foresight to ask for the same  arrangement. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Of course she didn’t, social media didn’t exist back then!

But this press was around then and Ms Guillem featured in the press rather a lot!

This thread has now become a serious yawn-fest.  I am joining in the yawning!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Of course she didn’t, social media didn’t exist back then!

Ms Guillem did not retire until 2014. Social media had been around for some time before that.

• Like 3

If you scroll back and actually click on the Instagram link from FionaE (don’t just read the stuff shown) that was sent yesterday, you will fall down a rabbit hole of groupie/stalkerdom that is both hilarious and deeply disturbing. Enjoy...

• Like 2

Actually, I formed the opinion a while back that Sergei is neither complex nor complicated.  The only thing he craves is publicity; doesn’t appear to matter what sort - being talked about, gaining column inches is what he craves.  Being part of a ballet company, however prestigious and however exalted his own role, was never going to be enough for him.  Project Polunin is just another name awareness exercise - there is no project but plenty of Polunin.  He is like a starlet with a publicist keeping him in the news.  If it means insulting homosexuals or people with weight problems, what does he care?  Disfiguring the body that made him famous is just another notch on the fame totem pole.  Terribly, terribly sad.  One day people will forget he was ever a dancer and wonder who the hell he is.

• Like 1

It is sad. I managed to see him in all his roles with the Royal - he was such a charmer in Alice...I also liked his first post Royal performances until the offers dried up. I do regret not having seen him as Rudolf in Munich when he was guesting last year - heavens it’s a role made for him. I do have one very pleasant “groupie” memory...when he danced with Rojo in M&A at her farewell performance, they and other RB dancers were at the large table next to mine in the Delaunay  - I was with 3 friends. One of them - she loves him still - went over to say hello. I cringed with embarrassment but was v v v envious. Anyway she said something, he nodded and turned round and raised his glass to the table. We did the same, cringe worthy I know. But it was a great smile and a nice moment. And that’s why I’m so angry because it’s all a waste, and for me politics do count. Particularly if you’re at the receiving end.

Edited by Vanartus
Stuff
  • Like 4

I saw the M & A with Rojo,too.  It was wonderful.  But that Polunin has gone.  When I saw him at Sadlers Wells, apart from the sheer awfulness of the material, it was clear that his technique was deteriorating.  God knows what he does in terms of practices/coaching.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Angela said:

I really wanted keep quiet, but I found something new: Trouble in Italy

https://www.gramilano.com/2019/05/rights-group-asks-for-polunin-ballet-in-veronas-arena-to-be-cancelled/

I just spotted this too, Angela.  Surprised in a way there hadn't been more outrage in London on the occasion of the Palladium programme.    

Still, perhaps - in that instance - (e.g., a - and please forgive the pun - straight commercial rental) -  it may well provide the very best defence to let this barking dog lie.  Seems he - more often than not - is all too good at (metaphysically speaking) hanging himself - or at very least tightening his own noose.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sophoife said:

Re the above by paragraph:

1. Really? If he's a principal dancer that says he works regularly with a company, and it's usually the company director who either commissions or choreographs new works, it's not left to the dancers to arrange. If he's freelance he's not a principal. Semantics but let's be specific.

2 & 3. Not quite the case. At the very kindest interpretation, Mr Polunin has allowed his name to be used as a selling point on a number of occasions of which I'm aware, for none of which he had any intention of showing up. When he was employed at the Royal Ballet, it was his job to show up, what he was paid to do. We show up at our paid jobs every day, but it's not necessarily a "pretty big statement of commitment" unless in my case my commitment to eating and sleeping with a roof over my head!

4. Bad example to use Marguerite and Armand in 2017. For months it was TBC on the cast list, then it was Mr Polunin, then just a few days later it was again TBC, soon replaced by Vladimir Shklyarov (and the ins and outs of why it wasn't a Royal Ballet dancer are not for this particular thread).

5. The Royal Ballet is a "rigid classical company"? News to me, and I'm sure to Wayne McGregor, for one! Meanwhile, dancers from companies all over the world have been guesting all over the world for decades. Dame Beryl Grey danced with the Kirov and the Bolshoi, in the Soviet Union, in the late 1950s. Dame Margot Fonteyn danced anywhere with anyone (largely to support her **** of a husband), particularly supportive of and dancing with the Australian Ballet in its early years. Li Cunxin originally went to Houston Ballet as a guest before defecting. His second wife Mary McKendry was dancing with London Festival Ballet when she guested in Houston. David McAllister and Elizabeth Toohey guested with both the Kirov and the Bolshoi in the mid-1980s. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

6. Many movies? Modelling? Foundation fund? Interviews? All done by many many dancers. He's certainly not unique.

1. So you saw every performance by every principal in the Royal Ballet in 2009? Wish I had your budget! Added to which you've watched every performance by the Stanislavsky AND Bayerisches Staatsballett since Mr Polunin started dancing with those companies? Because you can't (shouldn't) make the claims you are unless you have.

2. Really? Sweeping statement or considered opinion after watching every Royal Ballet performance since Mr Polunin joined the company?

3. Agreed.

1. Are you saying Mr Polunin is now post-balletic?

2. First sentence is your opinion, which you are welcome to express. Second sentence is again your opinion, and you must allow others to disagree with you.

1. Glad you say 77% of the vote (it was 76.69% actually). Are you aware that only 67.5% of registered voters actually voted? Are you aware that registered voters are less than 75% of the eligible population? "Many in the West" is a turn of phrase most frequently used by those not "in the West", so here's where I start wondering where you're actually writing from...

2. Trump has three more elections to win and even more human rights to trample before you can compare him with Putin.

Ignoring the Farage suggestion as it's hardly relevant or a similar situation.

1. Polunin had the same teaching and available mentoring at the Royal Ballet School as any other student. Cannot speak as to the situation when he joined the company. Yes it is good he seems to regard Zelensky and Kobborg as mentors or at the very least people to listen to, whatever he then does.

2. Irrelevant, both, as neither was in a similar situation 

1. Debunked this myth of Royal Ballet dancers not being allowed to accept opportunities outside the company earlier on. 

2. How big his role in the French film is, remains to be seen. As another poster pointed out, there are people of younger than 29 running their own quality dance schools while continuing to perform themselves.

3. If I were British, living in Britain, I'd certainly be reading the "English press" although I'm unsure if you're referring to English-language press or English-location press. Fairly normal for press local to a person to influence a person. 

Bugger the setting, what about the facilities and faculty and finances? And again, a curiously Russian "We in the West" comment.

So basically now you're saying you've seen him on YouTube many times, and only seen him dance live once?

When I was seven years old Antoinette Sibley came to my little ballet school and watched/taught several classes (she was friends with the principal). I can legitimately claim to have studied with her, at least for that one class.

1. At 21 he still had some time to develop his artistry. I think he may have exaggerated just a tiny bit there.

2. Kobborg and Cojocaru had danced with Australian Ballet in the mid-2000s as well. Galeazzi did not perform in any Australian Ballet gala in 2016 (they didn't do any galas that year), in fact she performed about ten years before that. McRae in fact trained at the Royal Ballet upper school and never danced with the Australian Ballet except as a guest, as has Alexander Campbell. Miss Benjamin trained at the Royal Ballet School as well and only ever danced with Australian Ballet as a guest, in 1987 and then in I think 2007. David Ashmole in fact started with the Royal Ballet where he reached principal rank in 1975, then danced with the then-Sadler's Wells Royal Ballet as a principal from 1976-84, only joining Australian Ballet after that.

3 & 4. It's not clear what you're saying about Miss Guillem. She couldn't guest out while in Paris? Or London?

I notice you always refer to "Sergei" but that others are referred to by their surnames only or by both forename and surname. This, to me, smacks of an apologist. Thoughts, anyone?

Also, yes, mods, with my much-loved brother's recent wedding fresh in my mind, a word in support of @Tatiana and the above request.

Congratulations on this lengthy response. 

Sadly I don’t have the time to respond as other life priorities are calling me away.  Perhaps others will.

For those that that seem to doubt it, I am British and live in the UK.  I love ballet and admire many ballet dancers.  I love travel, but have never been to Russia.  It’s an enormous country.  I would love to visit there, amongst many other countries.  Life is too short!

And I am very much looking forward to seeing Sergei Polunin, Johan Kobborg and company at the London Palladium later this month.  I’ve heard Fraudulent Smile and Sacre are excellent works.  

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I see that The Times has picked up on the Italian protest - there's a piece in today's World News pages.  No need for a link as I can't see anything new. 

Here’s a comment from the internationally renowned composer Kirill Richter who actually knows and has worked and is working with Sergei Polunin:

It is part of a Russian article (see link below). This is a translation of the part referring to Sergei:

"- Together with Sergei Polunin I worked on the project The Frames devoted to the Days of the Quatar culture in Moscow. I composed the music The Song of Distant Earth. That was quite an interesting experince, a mixture of cultures, working with musicians from Quatar. - How did you get aquainted with Sergei Polunin? - Via the agency which was dealt with the Quatar project. They had several options but finally they contactes Sergei and me. There is the thist person in this project, the film director Lado Quitania.An exhibition devoted to our work will be opned at the Moscow Museum of Modern Arts in May. The Frames will be released at the same time. - There have been a lot of scandals around Sergei Polunin recently. And the problem was not even the Putin portrait on his chest but rather his discriminating posts in the instagram... - Well, everything seems to be ok now. - But you never know when a relapse can occur! - I'd better avoid medical terms. Of course I know what is going on. But if I support a man and consider him to be my friend I support him in everything. It doesn't mean we don't discuss all that. All people have the right to have their own opinions ans you should always respects the choices of others even if you don't share it fully. You should respect people's right on their bodies, on thr opportunity to make any tattoos, to worship any gods and to have any skin color. It is a respect of personal territory. You see, Sergei has got his own way of communication. For example he was accused of hating gay people,but all that is not true. He wrote not about it, he only said about differences between female and male energies. He is not at all homophobic. Generally he is a very kind man. It is difficult for people who don't know him well to comprehend it."

http://www.spletnik.ru/buzz/interview1/89366-kompozitor-kirill-rikhter.html?fbclid=IwAR1eEdfzzNCfu3TaXhcalAYjerbGnAzVaa_jC6GQXm9aCsY6zLltDbAcrds

10 hours ago, Angela said:

I really wanted keep quiet, but I found something new: Trouble in Italy

https://www.gramilano.com/2019/05/rights-group-asks-for-polunin-ballet-in-veronas-arena-to-be-cancelled/

From the above article:

"The Arena’s managing director, Gianmarco Mazzi, was quoted in the Corriere del Veneto newspaper as saying: I think that a world class artist of Polunin’s stature should be judged for his art."

I would suggest that Polunin has made an art of more than just his dancing, including but not limited to his social media presence, and certainly including the use of his body as a permanent gallery for other people's (tattooists') art of his own choice.  Those protesting against him very much ARE judging him for his art.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Congratulations on this lengthy response. 

Sadly I don’t have the time to respond as other life priorities are calling me away.  Perhaps others will.

🤣🤣🤣 Somehow I didn't think you'd respond to my very long, carefully considered post in any other way.

(Sorry mods in advance) By the way, I must congratulate you on your relentless pro-Polunin trolling in this thread. Any further posts from you I think I'll follow @bangorballetboy's example...😫

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Sounds like a third-rate Ludovico Einaudi.

Oi! My favourite new short work from AusBallet in the last few years uses Einaudi...and every time I listen to the playlist I made, I see the movements in my mind's eye. So I like a bit of Einaudi 😉

9 minutes ago, penelopesimpson said:

Yes, my response was WHO?

I cannot believe the conceit displayed here.  Just because you haven’t heard of someone doesn’t mean that person isn’t ‘known’.  Perhaps you should speak to Fox Sport who commissioned work from him for last year.  Or just google.  

21 minutes ago, Sophoife said:

🤣🤣🤣 Somehow I didn't think you'd respond to my very long, carefully considered post in any other way.

(Sorry mods in advance) By the way, I must congratulate you on your relentless pro-Polunin trolling in this thread. Any further posts from you I think I'll follow @bangorballetboy's example...😫

So if I am pro-something it's ok to accuse me of trolling?  I won’t descend to responding.

I did mean thank you for all the work you did - there was a lot of information and sadly I do have other commitments - a job, children, aged parents etc that take most of my time.  Communicating on fan sites is meant to be fun and informative in the occasional free moments. (All too infrequent!) 

We should all be allowed to have different opinions, different likes on this forum.  And for that to be respected.  It is possible to be wrong or for circumstances to change so that one’s current opinion can change.  All humans should aspire to openness and willingness to listen.  You don’t have to like or be persuaded by the other’s point of view.  Rudeness should be dealt with by objective moderators.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

I cannot believe the conceit displayed here.  Just because you haven’t heard of someone doesn’t mean that person isn’t ‘known’.  Perhaps you should speak to Fox Sport who commissioned work from him for last year.  Or just google.  

Ooh, I say!  

London Theatre Direct halt ticket sales for Sergei Polunin at the London Palladium in light of homophobic comments posted on Instagram (May 21st)

https://www.londontheatredirect.com/news/london-theatre-direct-halt-ticket-sales-for-sergei-polunin-at-the-london-palladium-in-light-of-homophobic-comments-posted-on-instagram

(but tickets are available on other retailers) 

• Like 4

Shame about the shoddy and sensationalist reporting.  But what on earth took them so long?  It's not as if those comments are remotely new.  Why start selling the tickets in the first place if they feel so strongly about it?

• Like 6

11 hours ago, alison said:

Shame about the shoddy and sensationalist reporting.  But what on earth took them so long?  It's not as if those comments are remotely new.  Why start selling the tickets in the first place if they feel so strongly about it?

Agree with all your points.