Sergei Polunin - news and discussions - cont'd

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alison - I thought it was an exercise in obfuscation and ducking the issue, but maybe something was lost in google translate?! I think Zelensky is conflicted/compromised on this issue for reasons which are well-rehearsed elsewhere on the board. Whose interests will he put first, I wonder, if it goes to the line?

Can someone kindly put this up in English please?  When I click the link and go to 'original' or 'translation' they are both in German.  I clicked elsewhere and it said 'translate' and when I clicked that it took me to a German version of the Raymonda production notes.  I must be doing something wrong?!

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

Can someone kindly put this up in English please?  When I click the link and go to 'original' or 'translation' they are both in German.  I clicked elsewhere and it said 'translate' and when I clicked that it took me to a German version of the Raymonda production notes.  I must be doing something wrong?!

Not sure how to put the translation up, but I found that I had to change the option top left to translate from German to English, and then click the 'translate' button top right and it came out in (poor) English.

Ah thanks Bridie, that worked!  Yes, a very non-committal statement (from what I could understand!).  I will be interested to see a) whether he turns up this weekend and b) if he does, how he does and how he is received. 

• Like 1

Well I may be able to let you know what happens. I'm on my way to Munich now. My daughter is a dancer there. I haven't actually got a ticket for Raymonda but have a feeling I won't have a problem getting a return ticket! It's going to be an interesting weekend! 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Juliet said:

Well I may be able to let you know what happens. I'm on my way to Munich now. My daughter is a dancer there. I haven't actually got a ticket for Raymonda but have a feeling I won't have a problem getting a return ticket! It's going to be an interesting weekend! 

Have fun (and stay warm)!  We're there next weekend.

• Like 1

I did not interpret the press release as an exercise in obsfucation as it seems to me that the text as translated by the programme embedded on the company's website is simply producing a literal translation of the original text rather than a prepared text in English which takes account of the difference in idioms between German and English. The gist  of the message is that they are taking the whole thing very seriously as in the days of social media an individual's personal views and comments posted on social media are no longer private views expressed to a handful of people but have a much wider currency which could affect the company itself. They want to speak to Polunin before any full  decision is made. The company expect him to dance in Raymonda on the advertised dates. I don't think that this is anything other than a holding position. They want to speak to Polunin to hear both sides before a final decision is made. The fact that Zelensky's name appears on the press release, does not, it seems to me  place him in a situation in which he will be faced with any conflict of interests. It would be a very sad day when saying that an individual's comments published on  social media may have an impact on a company and that there is a need to investigate and hear from both sides debars an individual from undertaking the investigation and making a final decision.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

(I was referring to the original German - didn't see any signs of an English version - just so we're clear.  There's some absolute garbage in the middle of it, not to mention all the spelling errors and I don't know what else.)

On 18/01/2019 at 13:57, alison said:

(I was referring to the original German - didn't see any signs of an English version - just so we're clear.  There's some absolute garbage in the middle of it, not to mention all the spelling errors and I don't know what else.)

Alison, the press release is in perfect German without any errors - the garbage must have happened with the Google translate link that was put up here. This is the original German text, I hope the link works:

https://www.staatsoper.de/presse/presseinformationen/presse-infos-ballett/mitteilung/news/presseerklaerung-nikolaus-bachler-und-igor-zelensky-zum-engagement-von-sergei-polunin.html?no_cache=1&tx_news_pi1[controller]=News&tx_news_pi1[action]=detail&cHash=bdb222ec9ae272506690360b62778b92

It's the Bavarian State Opera, they proofread their press releases... 😉

Basically it says that the reports about Polunin's instagram posts were "simplified" (I don't know how to interpret this, I mean what's not to understand about them...), they don't want to stigmatize him and they want to talk to him in person first. Until then they judge him by what they already know: his qualitites as an artist. That's why he will dance the two Raymonda performances. They don't know what will happen afterwards, "which is alright" - a very strange last sentence. It will be interesting to see if they tell us about those conversations they have.

Very sorry, I'm in a hurry, not time to translate the whole statement.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2019 at 13:26, Juliet said:

I haven't actually got a ticket for Raymonda but have a feeling I won't have a problem getting a return ticket!

I wouldn't be so sure about that, most ballet perfomances at Munich are sold out, with or without Polunin. And now everybody wants to see the Putin tattoo... 😁

Well I went to the box office and the queue was a mile long. It was going to take forever to get to the front. I'm not sure if people were queuing to return tickets or queuing in the hope of picking up a cheapy. My daughter will report back if anything happens tonight. I think there is a general feeling of nervousness amongst the ranks. Hopefully all will be fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angela said:

Alison, the press release is in perfect German without any errors - the garbage must have happened with the Google translate link that was put up here.

Which contained, inter alia, "Es sind große otresente fragen, die nun aufkommen, und die uns dacha tempo und die star So der z der der Med Med Med Med ien ien:::?" :)  I'd assumed the link was to the original as it was in German, but perhaps not!

Ha ha Alison....I know my Germans a bit rusty these days but I struggled with that bit too!! 

Are you still going to try to get in Juliet....I wasn't sure from your post whether you'd given up at the queue length or your daughter was queuing for you!!

Edited by LinMM

Noooooo.........I took one look at it and estimated an hour at least before I reached the front (conservative estimate). I'm here really to have some mother/daughter time. There's another performance tomorrow so may review the situation then. 

• Like 1