Amelia

Sergei Polunin - news and discussions - cont'd

On 25/11/2018 at 10:00, Bruce Wall said:

Polunin has got a new tattoo .... See here.  Speaks for itself really.  

I greatly respect Polunin who is brave enough to speak out on issues he believes in.  Art has always been connected to politics and art to sits politely on the sidelines and does not speak out is a dead art.  Besides Polunin and lived and worked in UK, Russia and Ukraine and experienced all three countries personally and in depth so who better to give opinions on the current situation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, annafranklin said:

On 25th November I did make the first posting.  That is the last and ONLY posting I made in the strand that day.  I made NO other comment.  Indeed I have made NO other comment since that first posting.  I am distressed that the second item appears under my name as - as far as I am aware - I did NOT write it.  Indeed cannot find it.  I would not - as far as I am aware - have written it - certainly in the current context.  Please can I have a public explanation.  I am MOST troubled by this.  

AS I CANNOT EDIT OR REMOVE MY OWN COMMENT - LET ME TELL ANYONE READING THIS THAT THE COMMENT MADE BY ANNAFRANKLIN ABOVE WAS ORIGINALLY QUOTED UNDER MY NAME.  IT WAS KINDLY REMOVED FROM MY ASSOCIATION BY A MODERATOR MINUTES LATER AND PUT UNDER ITS OWN AUTHOR'S CREDIT.

Edited by Bruce Wall

10 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

On 25th November I did make the first posting.  That is the last and ONLY posting I made in the strand that day.  I made NO other comment.  Indeed I have made NO other comment since that first posting.  I am distressed that the second item appears under my name as - as far as I am aware - I did NOT write it.  Indeed cannot find it.  I would not - as far as I am aware - have written it - certainlky in the current context.  Please can I have a public explanation.  I am MOST troubled by this.  

I have fixed this  I assume this was a simple error by the poster in using the forum software.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, annafranklin said:

I greatly respect Polunin who is brave enough to speak out on issues he believes in.  Art has always been connected to politics and art to sits politely on the sidelines and does not speak out is a dead art.  Besides Polunin and lived and worked in UK, Russia and Ukraine and experienced all three countries personally and in depth so who better to give opinions on the current situation.

I'm just not sure if I want to be forced to think about today's politics during Giselle or Spartacus because I see a politician's face on a dancer. Speaking out as an artist off stage is different from showing symbols in a performance that was once created by another artist.

• Like 3

Presumably this tattoo, like others, will be hidden/covered when he performs (unless it's some sort of political or personal work where the tattoo is deemed  to be relevant). Otherwise his career as a dancer will become untenable.

I know that very well, bridiem, but you know that tattoos tend to appear during a performance if they are only covered by make-up. Faroukh Ruzimatov taped the tattoos on his arms, the few times I saw Polunin he only used make-up, on the hands for example. I have no problems with tattoos, they are okay for me in modern works, but I don't want to see them in classical ballets - I vividly remember Aurora's mother with a small tattooed rose in her décolleté: it distracts, it makes you laugh. 

• Like 7

I personally can't stand tattoos, and I certainly don't want to see them on my classical princes!  I know that Polunin can hide his body tatts with clothes, but how about the ones on his hands and neck?  I know you can use cover makeup, but doesn't that run with sweat?  

• Like 9

I think I posted my comment under the wrong button.  Anyway I do respect Polunin and that he is brave enough to stand up for what he believes in.  About the tattoos I read an interview where he said that during performances his tattoos are covered with make-up although it sometimes rubs off on the costumes which his partners are not always very happy about

• Like 1

4 hours ago, annafranklin said:

I think I posted my comment under the wrong button.  Anyway I do respect Polunin and that he is brave enough to stand up for what he believes in.  About the tattoos I read an interview where he said that during performances his tattoos are covered with make-up although it sometimes rubs off on the costumes which his partners are not always very happy about

Brave?  Brave enough?  For what exactly?

His tattoos have only one function which is to draw attention and comment.  This is the oxygen which Polunin needs for his existence.  He is, as they say, quickly becoming famous for being famous.  No serious classical dancer can immerse themselves in a role whilst their body bears a picture of somebody who didn't even exist when the work being performed was created by ...yes, another artiste.  Utter disrespect - for his body, his art and the workof the original creator.  Oh, and lets not forget his talent which he has squandered remorselessly.

Polunin is now little more than a caricature.  If this is what makes him happy, then more power to him, but pretending that he is some brave campaigner using his art to highlight... what exactly... is simply ludicrous.

• Like 4

White Crow is due for release on 22nd March, Ralph Fiennes directs and acts so it could be good.

Shame they didn't proofread that press release before releasing it.  It's total nonsense in places :( 

Alison - I thought it was an exercise in obfuscation and ducking the issue, but maybe something was lost in google translate?! I think Zelensky is conflicted/compromised on this issue for reasons which are well-rehearsed elsewhere on the board. Whose interests will he put first, I wonder, if it goes to the line?

It's an awful press release and a dreadful position for Zelensky to take.  I feel very sorry for the dancers in Munich.  IMO, this issue needs to go to the full management of the Staatsballett and Zelensky should not participate in the discussions due to potential conflict of interest.

• Like 2

Can someone kindly put this up in English please?  When I click the link and go to 'original' or 'translation' they are both in German.  I clicked elsewhere and it said 'translate' and when I clicked that it took me to a German version of the Raymonda production notes.  I must be doing something wrong?!

3 minutes ago, Sim said:

Can someone kindly put this up in English please?  When I click the link and go to 'original' or 'translation' they are both in German.  I clicked elsewhere and it said 'translate' and when I clicked that it took me to a German version of the Raymonda production notes.  I must be doing something wrong?!

Not sure how to put the translation up, but I found that I had to change the option top left to translate from German to English, and then click the 'translate' button top right and it came out in (poor) English.

Ah thanks Bridie, that worked!  Yes, a very non-committal statement (from what I could understand!).  I will be interested to see a) whether he turns up this weekend and b) if he does, how he does and how he is received. 

• Like 1

Well I may be able to let you know what happens. I'm on my way to Munich now. My daughter is a dancer there. I haven't actually got a ticket for Raymonda but have a feeling I won't have a problem getting a return ticket! It's going to be an interesting weekend! 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Juliet said:

Well I may be able to let you know what happens. I'm on my way to Munich now. My daughter is a dancer there. I haven't actually got a ticket for Raymonda but have a feeling I won't have a problem getting a return ticket! It's going to be an interesting weekend! 

Have fun (and stay warm)!  We're there next weekend.

• Like 1

I did not interpret the press release as an exercise in obsfucation as it seems to me that the text as translated by the programme embedded on the company's website is simply producing a literal translation of the original text rather than a prepared text in English which takes account of the difference in idioms between German and English. The gist  of the message is that they are taking the whole thing very seriously as in the days of social media an individual's personal views and comments posted on social media are no longer private views expressed to a handful of people but have a much wider currency which could affect the company itself. They want to speak to Polunin before any full  decision is made. The company expect him to dance in Raymonda on the advertised dates. I don't think that this is anything other than a holding position. They want to speak to Polunin to hear both sides before a final decision is made. The fact that Zelensky's name appears on the press release, does not, it seems to me  place him in a situation in which he will be faced with any conflict of interests. It would be a very sad day when saying that an individual's comments published on  social media may have an impact on a company and that there is a need to investigate and hear from both sides debars an individual from undertaking the investigation and making a final decision.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 3

I see that the recent tweets are no longer on his account. I suppose that's something (though I'm not sure what).

(I was referring to the original German - didn't see any signs of an English version - just so we're clear.  There's some absolute garbage in the middle of it, not to mention all the spelling errors and I don't know what else.)

The genie is already out of the bottle, though.  The stable door has been closed after the horse has bolted.  It's too late to repair any damage. 

Are there two Polunin threads or have some posts been removed from here from earlier this week?

Many thanks ....yes I see that now..doh!