Sergei Polunin - news and discussions - cont'd

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going - but somewhere on the previous pages in this topic I've already mentioned that. That is, some people are going (I believe, Fiona is going as well). To say the truth,  the main reason of my visit to London is to see Natalia Osipova in "Romeo and Juliet" and San Francisco ballet (I miss our Ulrik Birkkjær), Polunin's show is an extra "bonus". I'm very interested in his dancing  (and I'm expecting to see some dancing). 

Actually I have the tickets to the Grand Circle of Palladium, so it's interesting to see if I'll be relocated somewhere. The London Palladium sent me a nice mail clarifying how to get to them, etc., but without mentioning the possible relocation to Royal Circle or Stalls.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

I wonder, is that because interested people are too intimidated to respond here, or that they have long since given up on this group. 

Well, as I’m a Moderator I can safely say the answer from me is “no” and “no”.  ☺️

I’m disabled and only have very limited reserves of both money and energy to spend on ballet, so I choose to support and watch dancers and companies who will put on (and perform beautifully) ballets I know I’m going to enjoy - and those who don’t repeatedly upset, anger and alienate me with highly offensive social media posts.   

I used to admire Polunin’s dancing so very much but not even his dancing is enough to make me want to give him my time or money these days.  

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Estreiiita said:

I'm going - but somewhere on the previous pages in this topic I've already mentioned that. That is, some people are going (I believe, Fiona is going as well). To say the truth,  the main reason of my visit to London is to see Natalia Osipova in "Romeo and Juliet" and San Francisco ballet (I miss our Ulrik Birkkjær), Polunin's show is an extra "bonus". I'm very interested in his dancing  (and I'm expecting to see some dancing). 

Actually I have the tickets to the Grand Circle of Palladium, so it's interesting to see if I'll be relocated somewhere. The London Palladium sent me a nice mail clarifying how to get to them, etc., but without mentioning the possible relocation to Royal Circle or Stalls.

Very good to know at least 1 other person from this forum is going 🤗

If what he said wasn’t meant to be homophobic, I would hate to hear what he has to say when he means it.

i thought he came across as a sad figure with no place to go.  The naivety of ‘I thought I would go into films,’ as if its that easy.  Hamlet with a picture of Putin on your chest....?

• Like 2

I'm not bothered about the Putin tattoo. It could easily be dealt with were a bare chest required, and is not evil per se - just a bit silly.  Why is it put on a par with the anti-fat, anti-gay comments which are a thousand times worse?

Those comments were stupid at best and evil at worst, although I am fat and I feel like slapping myself for it sometimes!  Having said that I did buy tickets for Saturday and will still go (but never again unless he becomes more thoughtful and careful).  I do want to see him live, even just once.

Polunin is clearly a damaged soul. I know others have pointed out that that does not excuse nastiness (and I agree).  However to say other dancers' parents are divorced and so what? is not fair on Polunin.  Everyone is different.  He seems very sensitised to the fact that the CAUSE of his parents' divorce was himself - they and his grandmother made the most enormous sacrifices in order to finance his dancing, even to the point of the family being spread over three different countries.  The strain became too much.  He has to live with that, and it has harmed his already volatile psyche.  This does not excuse everything but it does go a long way to explain.

There are other great artists who were in some ways obnoxious but had the nous or a clever enough publicity agent to cover it up.  How about dear Margot Fonteyn gun-smuggling, for example?  (I still love her though....)  And Nureyev said and did many not very nice things in his life, although I adore him and his dancing.  All people are a mixture of good and bad, and we have to allow the most special artists a little leeway.  I hope Sergei Polunin learns his lesson and manages to mend his ways before his genius is entirely spent.

I'll report back after Saturday.  We only have cheap tickets (£40 - not the top price £409!!) so might not see much...

*Edited by Mods with poster’s permission*

Edited by Anna C
  • Like 1

Ha ha  I've just worked out your name maryrosesatonapin! 

Its amazing what the brain does sometimes I initially read it as some Italian sounding name!! 

I agree with your post largely ....I'm sad to say I didn't really "grow up" or let's say "develop" till I was around 35!! I was a very sensible and good girl until about the age of 23 and then had a bit of a wild late adolescence!! So do have some sympathy with him in one way but it remains to be seen whether he has the depth to take on that final responsibility for himself.

I cannot believe those prices .....£409!! I hope they throw in a bottle of champagne for that price.

Hope you enjoy the performance. I'm not going to see this as have decided any money I have left for ballet this summer I will save for the Bolshoi .....which are also expensive but never know when will come again. 

On 28/05/2019 at 19:17, Estreiiita said:

Both of the first two nights the grand circle  was open and pretty full. (I was there last night.). So you may not get an upgrade!

38 minutes ago, alison said:

I guess that depends on whether someone is brave enough to own up to having gone to see it, given what's been said here.

If someone has chosen to see it, of course they should feel able to post their opinions. Those who don't wish to read them need not do so.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, alison said:

I guess that depends on whether someone is brave enough to own up to having gone to see it, given what's been said here.

Given the general antagonism shown to me here (never mind to Sergei and Johan and company) I won’t be sharing my opinions.  I’m sure many of you are thrilled.  

Suffice to say there is a spare ticket (mine) for the ROH insight talk tonight for Matthew Ball if anyone would like it.  I’m going to see Sergei’s show instead.

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

Given the general antagonism shown to me here (never mind to Sergei and Johan and company) I won’t be sharing my opinions.  I’m sure many of you are thrilled.  

Suffice to say there is a spare ticket (mine) for the ROH insight talk tonight for Matthew Ball if anyone would like it.  I’m going to see Sergei’s show instead.

At least your post hasn't been deleted, FionaE, as mine seems to have been.... 

Oh Fiona.  Why chicken out now?  Do you honestly think there is anyone on this forum who would not be delighted to hear that Sergei was, once again, the exciting, accomplished dancer we all remember?

I don't think anyone has shown you antagonism.  Personally, I've praised the way you show Mr Polunin such unconditional loyalty - even though I believe that unadulterated hero worship is bad for any serious artiste.  I wonder if you are not prepared to submit a review because, as a ballet person, you know just how bad things are?  Go on, be brave!

The reviews speak for themselves and I suspect, given the numbers of empty seats, Sergei is losing support.  Yes, he may stagger on for a few more years yet, but the bad boy thing is merely tedious now and his loose connection with ballet and faltering technique may signal the end.  

Normally the moderators say if they have hidden a post.

I can't remember anything particularly controversial in it offhand ....at least that hasn't been said on this thread already

Perhaps you will get a PM to explain.

I will just reiterate that when a post has been reported by someone, or if we feel that it breaches AUP,  the moderators hide it in the first instance, then discuss it to see if we agree with the report or with each other and if so, how to proceed.  As we all have lives of our own, this is usually not an instantaneous process, which is why we always say that the post has been hidden as it's under discussion by the mods, which is indeed what I did here.  The people involved are then contacted privately by us.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Oh Fiona.  Why chicken out now?  Do you honestly think there is anyone on this forum who would not be delighted to hear that Sergei was, once again, the exciting, accomplished dancer we all remember?

I don't think anyone has shown you antagonism.  Personally, I've praised the way you show Mr Polunin such unconditional loyalty - even though I believe that unadulterated hero worship is bad for any serious artiste.  I wonder if you are not prepared to submit a review because, as a ballet person, you know just how bad things are?  Go on, be brave!

The reviews speak for themselves and I suspect, given the numbers of empty seats, Sergei is losing support.  Yes, he may stagger on for a few more years yet, but the bad boy thing is merely tedious now and his loose connection with ballet and faltering technique may signal the end.  

It is precisely this kind of response that has alienated me (and others).  

Just one thing to clarify the mis-information stated here - the auditorium was almost full yesterday - all 3 levels.  

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, FionaE said:

It is precisely this kind of response that has alienated me (and others).  

Just one thing to clarify the mis-information stayed here - the auditorium was almost full yesterday - all 3 levels.  

Perhaps you would care to explain what I can possibly have said that has 'alienated' you?

And yes, I'm glad it sold well.  And if people enjoyed it, even better.

Although I don't really care for Sergei or this thread, I will say that I think what Fiona is referring to is the condescending attitude that quite a few persons in this thread have expressed towards her -- although perhaps it was unintentional.   

Edited by HappyTurk
  • Like 4