Audience Behaviour

I am originally from NY, so I have no class ( :) ).

My sister (NYC resident) and I saw ABT perform Swan Lake at the Met Opera House on a hot summer day a couple years ago. We had box seats which had three rows. My sister and I were in the back row. At some point during the performance, a gentleman in the front row turned around and said to the gentleman in the second row:

"Stop breathing down my neck!"

"I’m not breathing down your neck!"

A few minutes later:

"I feel you breathing down my neck. Knock it off!"

"Listen buddy, I’m not breathing down your neck!"

Several people from several boxes were shushing the gentleman.

The exchange between the two guys continued for some time. Then the last exchange just before the interval:

"Breath on me one more time and we’re gonna take it outside!"

"You want a piece of me?!?!"

Another person finally yelled: "Someone get the attendant!"

During the interval, the attendant investigated and interviewed everyone in the box. Before the performance resumed, the guy in the first row apologized to everyone in the box. As it turns out, the air conditioner vent was "breathing down" his neck.

Near fisticuffs over an air condition vent. Only in New York! :)

• Like 3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the ENB matinee in Liverpool today and there were a lot of children around where I was sitting. It is all to easy to complain about issues that have affected our enjoyment but I thought I would post some good behaviour for a change! All the children around me were impeccably behaved and it was a pleasure to hear their obvious enjoyment at the end of the performance.

• Like 6

I had a go at someone (supposedly a devout Christian) in church once - he had been complaining about several little children who had been noisily playing during the service. I asked him whether he thought Jesus might have been annoyed at the interruption, or whether He would welcome children into church with open arms...

Edited for spelling

Edited by taxi4ballet
  • Like 1

Open arms, surely - but then I suspect He would also have expected them to give him a fair amount of attention when he was talking. Seriously, children's behaviour can be a problem during services if they're being so loud as to drown out the sermon or whatever.

Anyway, back to audiences: how about the guy who, admittedly in a theatre which was far from full, put his legs up on the back of the seat in front of him?!

Open arms, surely - but then I suspect He would also have expected them to give him a fair amount of attention when he was talking. Seriously, children's behaviour can be a problem during services if they're being so loud as to drown out the sermon or whatever.

Anyway, back to audiences: how about the guy who, admittedly in a theatre which was far from full, put his legs up on the back of the seat in front of him?!

Well, at least he kept his socks on and didn't play with his toes.

• Like 1

Wow, now they're bringing movie manners to the theaters ! And I thought the buckets full of popcorn at the Bolshoi cinema transmissions were annoying.....

A good one from the Friends' General Rehearsal on Saturday.

My better third & I were sitting in the second row of the stalls circle, central section, (which aren't the best seats for short people as the rake is not overly steep). Anyway, as Infra begins the two ladies in front of the gent beside me were talking. Slightly distracting but Infra starts with a lifted black curtain onto a drak stage with one Opie figure walking across the on-stage screen). The bloke leans forward and plants his hand on the shoulder of one of the ladies - I think (and gratefully hope) that he is going to ask them quietly to stop talking. Oh no; in a normal talking voice, he says "Please stay still." A voice from the front row says: "Still?" to which the man replies: "Yes, really still."

Admittedly, they didn't talk again after that - and my better third & I stood for Fool's Paradise.

• Like 1

Could not help but think of this thread the other day when at a Xmas fair I came accross spectacles with little lights attached to the outer edges. They were being promoted as ideal for wearing to 'dark venues like the theatre or cinema'. Just imagine how distracting that would be for the dancers/actors on stage!!!

• Like 1

no it was more like the sides of the frame but facing forward (ie edge of face rather than nose area) lit up quite brightly - it was quite disconcerting looking at someone wearing them in daylight as they were quite bright and you found yourself avoiding eye contact. Would have been horrendous in the dark. Cannot imagine them being very comfortable to wear either!

Re lights in the auditorium, I find it really disconcerting at pantomimes etc where they sell flashing fairy wands and other gizmos for kids to wave. Sometimes there is a whole sea of them in front of you and it's incredibly distracting. Heaven knows what it looks like from the stage!

Tonight we had the ultimate....in the middle of the Black Swan pdd, someone was violently sick on the floor in stalls of the Opera House....a horrible noise and sight, and loads of people had to get up and leave the auditorium. Most of them were back after the interval when it had been cleaned, but blcchhh...very unpleasant! This was in addition to the person loudly unwrapping sweets during the White Swan pdd (and they had been doing it during Act 1, too). I finally shushed them very loudly and they stopped. I mean, don't people have any perception of the noise they make? And in the quietest moments of the whole ballet? Unbelievable.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got back from seeing Paco Pena at the Lowry. A few minutes in to the second half a man on the second row of the stalls (about 5 rows in front of me) started taking photographs with some sort of tablet device. It was incredibly distracting. At a suitable point the duty manager was able to get to him and ask him to desist. He did for about 5 minutes and then started again. At the next suitable point he was asked to leave the theatre. Unbelievable!

I thought the Lowry personnel were superb in their handling of the situation. They were very discreet and didn't cause any further disruption by their action.

I don't think I have ever seen anything quite so blatant before!

A different use for mobile phones: using the light from them to read the cast sheet during the performance! Please, if you can't read the casting by ambient light, wait until the end. The amphi audience behind you would very much appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

A different use for mobile phones: using the light from them to read the cast sheet during the performance! Please, if you can't read the casting by ambient light, wait until the end. The amphi audience behind you would very much appreciate it.

ditto stalls circle standing, to those in the posh seats

Just had a wonderful night at The Mariinsky- despite announcements in Russian and English and notices to reinforce the message, several camera flashes went off during the second half. Very surprised at such behaviour.

• 5 months later...

At "Pricilla Queen of the Desert". Two woman arrived late, 20 mins odd. Their friend took a phone call from them and went to get them. Then used their phone torch to get to their seats.They then chatted as if no performance on. Checked their phones continually. Then started eating.

Mobiles as torches seem to be too common now so people walk in late and use them.

I get so fed up. Obviously Pricilla is pretty loud but still it was disruptive.

This looks like a fairly old thread now have just been reading.

Yes surprising what people get up to in the theatre.....including alarm clocks going off....mea culpa...but a long story!

.I do find noisy sweet unwrapping annoying enough in the cinema let alone at the theatre and people at intervals standing around talking nearby but then only deciding to take their seats after the lights have actually gone down(twice last week by same people at Bayadere) just as everyone is settled!

However I would like to urge a bit of caution with too loud a shushing!! Sometimes I hear the shusher but didn't hear what is being shushed!! So that can be annoying too!

So did I, and a camera flash in Act 2 from somewhere in the Balcony Boxes. I've seen La B 3 times this season so far, and there has ALWAYS been chat , especially during the first entr'acte music - much more so than in any other production. I wonder why?

Yes, there has always been talking over every entr'acte when I've been.  New audiences, perhaps?  Very disrespectful to the orchestra, if not to the composer (depending on whether you think it's "only Minkus", I guess).

Oh, and there was something at BRB the other day that I was going to post here, only can't remember what it was at the moment.