Summer school reviews

Tulip

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Following some initial interest in the idea, I have started a new topic called "summer school review form". There is a blank form here that people can fill in as I thought that this may make it easier to make objective comparisons between courses. Feel free to contribute if you wish!

Taxi4ballet, we had to go to RBS on the Sunday to register and thats when they told us who we would have teaching us - the reaction from everyone was a very huge "wow" as I'm sure you can imagine :) We had her for class at the end of the 2nd week for class and she was so amazing, it was such a privilige to be taught by Darcey Bussell. She was there on the final day to see the performance too. I have a couple of photographs with her :):)

• Like 8

I know of two people who were selected for ABT, but unfortunately their school wouldn't allow them to go. Don't know if anyone else got to go as I would also love to know more about summer schools abroad.

What a shame. I'm also curious about summer schools in US (especially New York) as my partner is going to be working there next year so would be a perfect opportunity to combine a visit and for dd to attend a SI.

My DS with offered the chance to do summer school in America this summer. The places were offered to DS and his friend through their ballet teacher at school. When they got there it turned out to be an American EYB type performance. They went out to Boca Raton in Florida for 3 weeks where they did classes everyday except Sunday from 10am - 6pm. Then at the end of the course they did 3 performances of Coppelia. The main roles were danced by 2 members of American Ballet Theatre. DS felt he had good parts in the ballet. The groups were small and DS and his friend the only boys and the oldest. My DS throughly enjoyed it and for someone not used to travelling it has prepared him for next year. He has gained some much needed performance experience from the show. They were also lucky enough to stay with a member of staff who treated them like family. He would do it again tomorrow if he could.

• Like 3

if i was lucky enough to get in next year i think an Advanced 2 level class would definitely be far too hard!!

I'm in the same position swanprincess! I would love so much to do the covent garden summer school (if i got in) but think I would be hugely behind so really don't know whether to apply or not.

hmm yes it is hard to decide wether to risk £20 on an ss application!! you do Adv 1 though dont you- maybe that woild be enough? its hard to know what they look for ;) think i might ask my ballet teacher if i can join advanced 1, but because its quite a small school theres only 2 other girls at that level- who are 18 & 19!!! but yes it would be utterly Awesome to spend 2 weeks in Covent Garden... :) x

• Like 1

Swanprincess, applications won't be judged solely on your exam grade! It is current ability and potential that counts and you would be surprised what they can see just from the photographs.

Having said that, you would be expected to be capable of dancing at that sort of level when you are there and I agree that you should talk to your teacher to see if she thinks that is possible! From another thread it seems that you have just done your grade 5 exam and if you aren't currently doing any vocational grade level classes as well you would find advanced one quite a leap! Does our school offer intermediate or intermediate foundation?

Unfortunately the dates for Summer Intensives in USA often don't work for pupils from the UK as the summer holiday dates are so different. In US they often finish school about the same dates we have our May half term and then their holidays last about 3 months. So rather than thinking of it like a UK summer school, the SI often last 4 - 6 weeks and you have to think of ithem as half a term of Vocational training.

It may be that is why some UK schools don't want pupils to go, they would miss too many important events towards the end of the UK summer term.

• Like 1

We were looking at Juilliard's summer dance intensive which lasts for 3 weeks. The dates this year were from 15th July so not too bad especially as my dd takes her GCSE's next year so will be leaving school early (she's not at vocational school). However, as they audition all over the States for 44 places I think it's a bit of a pipe dream anyway! :)

Jellybeans, i do Intermediate RAD and IDTA, and also attend a youth ballet where we have an hour class before 2 hours rehearsal. the classes there are quite challenging, probably about Adv. foundation level, as they are a lot harder than my Intermediate class! (with steps such as full plies in 1st and 5th in the centre, promenades in Arabesque, triple pirouettes, and occasionally fouettes turns.) :) hope that makes it a bit clearer! (and if i was to start Advanced, now i think about it, i would probably do adv. foundation for a while) :) x

• Like 2

Swanprincess, Royal Ballet Summer school is assesed on the requested photographs that they ask you to do. It does not matter what grade you are and indeed some of the children will not have followed a syllabus. As somebody mentioned earlier, the faculty at Royal can tell from looking at the photographs if you would be suitable for the course. I would speak to your teacher, who knows you better and would be the best person to advise you on the way forward with this. There are also some other very good ballet summer courses available and I would say that Elmhurst summer school would come a close second to the Royal one so keep a look out for this next year. Again, this is assesed on photographs.

Edited to add that I have just looked at the Royal Ballet Schools website and it says, There are NO AUDITIONS for the International Summer Schools. Candidates are selected by The Royal Ballet School's Director through PHOTO APPLICATION ONLY. It does not ask for grades or level of training at all.

Edited by primrose
  • Like 1

thankyou Primrose, thats very interesting: i had assumed that Royal would look for very high grades/exam results, because they get so many applicants! and the Elmhurst one sounds lovely- a few of my friends were accepted this year, so i will probably apply there for next year too :-) x

Here is a final review of Elmhurst now that it has finished. The standard of students was of a very good standard (age 14 upwards). Teaching was of a very high standard and the students learned a lot, eg during par de deux, my daughters partner was a BRB dancer who told her not to twist her hip during something as it made his job as a partner more difficult etc etc. Marion Tate pointed out that this summer school was about LEARNING yes it was important to have fun, but the emphasis was to focus, concentrate and learn. The classes were ballet everyday, repertior, par de deux, jazz, contempory and something called feudge? I think.

House parents were lovely, accomodation was clean, warm and safe and the catering was very good. There was some activities on during the evening, but my daughter said everyone was very tired so wanted to go to bed around 10 pm.

I feel that this summer school is excellent value for money. The children need to be focused and hard working, expectations are high. The performance at the end of the week was excellent. My only critisism is that we did not see enough of group C, but that is just the way the cookie crumbles as they say. I would suggest that if a child is only dancing for fun and is not used to working from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm with small breaks, at such a high level, then this may not be the right summer school. This is only my review, I am sure other people from listening to their children will have different thoughts and feelings.

• Like 10

My only critisism is that we did not see enough of group C

And not enough of group D for me.

I haven't had much time to discuss everything with my daughter as she has gone to her friends.

She said that the BRB dancers were lovely especially Max Maslen who she partnered ,said some lovely things that really boosted her confidence.

She felt they did rather a lot of Rep work compared to everything else.

I don't think I could add anymore your review is spot on Tulip!

• Like 4

It will have been Grosse Fuge, choreographed by Hans Van Manen and which BRB are performing in Birmingham and at Sadler's Wells this Autumn. It's fabulous!

BRB are performing Grosse Fuge as part of a triple bill with David Bintley's Take Five and Jessica Lang's Lyric Pieces. What a terrific programme!

• Like 2

My daughter was also group D. She had a great time - every sentence since picking her up has started "when we were at Elmhurst ...." She loved dancing with the guys and girls from BRB who offered advice to them individually which benefitted her tremendously. She enjoyed Jazz and contemporary lessons too. She did think one teacher tended to favour the full time vocational students but I guess you will get that anywhere. This is the 4th course at different schools/colleges she has been to but said Elmhurst was definitely the best!

• Like 6

Sounds like Elmhurst SS was excellent for the older dancers. My dd will be 14 at the end of this year, so she was thinking about applying for next year but would be one of the younger ones there. Does anyone know who teaches the younger age-group, and if it is enjoyable as well as an amazing learning experience? She generally goes to YBSS, but might like a change for next Summer.

• Like 2

If anyone has done has done Elmhurst and Royal Ballet Summer school. how do they compare? It looks like at Covent Garden they are taught by some of the RB dancers as well or is that just for an odd class?

Has anyone got into Elmhurst through the summer school or are none of the regular staff or Artistic director there?

And finally is the Elmhurst Summer school a lot easier to get into?

Edited for grammatical corrections and ask final question.

Edited by tutoo2much

My daughter really enjoyed the elmhurst summer school. I think the teachers rotated so taught younger and older. The 14 year olds got one room mate - same age and were in the same house block and the older ones got single rooms with en suite. My daughter said her room mate was lovely. She said the food was lovely and varied and snacks available.Evening entertainment was enough because of the busy day dancing 9-5. They then went back to the common room so again was with same ageS. My daughter said all the elmhurst students that were there were really nice and welcoming and everyone else she met was too. In her dance class (about 20) again based on age about half were from the school but she felt the level was fine for her. She made some personal notes for her technique and enjoyed learning all the rep. Good chance to dance with a male partner too.

• Like 2

Think it is a bit easier to get in than royal - not as many international students but still a waiting list and over subscribed. On the positive side, there is no application fee so nothing to lose by applying.

One girl was offered a place in year 11 at the summer school this year :)

Lil

• Like 6

My dd did Royal at Covent Garden and had a fantastic time. The performance at the end was really stunning, the standard was incredibly high. Classes were really challenging but very rewarding, there were personal and group corrections, it seemed very personal. There was a lot of pointework at least 3 hours a day but also jazz, contemporary, body conditioning and musical theatre. My dd felt it was a massively enriching experience - incredibly hard work but thats what she wanted!! It seems that so much was learned from such excellent teaching staff. The support they received from the staff - not just teaching, but ALL staff during the day was great and they were able to see the physio at any point should they need to. My dd didnt stay in the boarding houses so I can't comment on that (though I'm sure it was also excellent) she was staying with her best friend who was also on the course. I would also say it was great value for money without a doubt.There is nothing negative that I have to say on my own dd's experience :) She will be applying for next year and if she is selected she will definitely do it - its just getting selected as the number of applicants is very large with obviously limited places.

• Like 2