Daughter in wrong class?

Shelovesdance

Hi, I’m a first time poster so hope I get this right!

My 6 year old has done primary exams at her old ISTD school so was in a grade 1 class (mainly with older girls) then recently moved to a new school that does IDTA. I said she’d already done her Primary so she’s been put in a grade 1 class which she’s very competent and happy in, but when I was looking into ITDA the ages seem to be different. Eek, I think I might have put her into a class she’s too young for? She doesn’t turn 7 until July and I’ve noticed all of the kids are already 7, if not 8. I’m not sure if the teacher has realised her age and I kind of don’t want to mention it as she loves the older girls and being with them, but if they do exams next spring/summer she might not be old enough.

Is the cut off 7 years old? If so do I mention it hoping they won’t be doing exams next year? This class only did their exams May this year so how long does it take between primary and grade 1 in ITDA? 

Any advice welcome.

Claire x

Hi Claire welcome to the forum! If your daughter is keeping up she's probably in the correct class. The ages are for guidance and although there may be minimum ages for taking an exam it doesn't mean your daughter can't be working at that level.

• Like 2

My DD had taken primary ballet with her ISTD class aged 5 3/4yrs, and then we moved house and she started in an IDTA grade 1 class aged 6 yrs and 2 weeks! 

She was the school year below the next youngest in her class ( and about 9mths younger too) and 6yrs on, is now doing IDTA intermediate with pretty much the same group of girls (and is still the youngest by 9mths!) I don't recall her age ever being an issue when it came to taking exams. 

• Like 2

Oh thanks both, you’ve put my mind at rest. Pixiewoo it sounds like we had exactly the same situation! I’m glad to hear you didn’t have any exam issues. I think I’ll just leave it for now and if they are doing them before her birthday she can always not do the exam. 

thanks again both.

Her teacher would be able to tell if she’s in the right class, regardless of whether she’s old enough for the next exam yet. My dd has always been in classes with girls older than her and scraped into the age bracket for doing exams because of when her birthday was and when the exams were held. 

• Like 1

My younger DD has done the opposite in that she’s moved from IDTA to ISTD for both ballet & tap. She had completed her IDTA Primary exams in the June, just before her 6th birthday and started at the new school the following September, going into Grade 1 for both. She was then entered for her Tap Grade 1 exam in March, going into Grade 2 in April. She is now 7trs 4mths and Grade 1 still for ballet, Grade 2 for tap and the youngest in her tap class & spent all of last year as the youngest in her ballet class. I was told by her previous teacher that Grade 1 takes longer to learn/master than the primary grades and certainly my elder DD was in Grade 2 IDTA when she started RBS JAs in year 6 (she’s now at vocational school). So I would say your DD is probably fine where she is. 

DD has also always been the youngest in her ballet class. If the teacher is happy that they are able to do the work and if they are happy with their older classmates, they are in the right class for them even if their friends from school are dancing in different classes. Wishing your DD all the best at her new studio! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Legseleven said:

DD has also always been the youngest in her ballet class. If the teacher is happy that they are able to do the work and if they are happy with their older classmates, they are in the right class for them even if their friends from school are dancing in different classes. Wishing your DD all the best at her new studio! 

Same here, DD has a July birthday so is quite used to being the youngest in her class for school and in the studio. When she moved schools she was placed in an age appropriate class/Grade. Over time she has taken the exams with success and has moved quickly through the Grades now in RAD Grade 7 but also studying Grade 8 with girls 2 years older than her but relishing the challenge. Nothing phases her. The move was the best thing we did, a few years back but well worth it. 

• Like 2