The Canterville Ghost 2018 by LCB

Swanilda

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not sure what to do so I’m hoping balletcoers can help?

DD had an accident at school just over a week ago when a whole stack of benches fell on her as she was pulling them out for assembly. Right leg and foot took the worst of it so she hasn’t been dancing since just resting and icing. The swelling has gone down and most of the bruising though some still visible down her leg and a tiny bit across her foot.

She went back to normal Ballet on Friday (no pointe work) and had no complaints and has been walking to school and back in her normal shoes for the last three days (was wearing loose trainers) so I was hoping all on track for her audition for LCB tomorrow. But then she came back from associates today and said she only marked the class as her foot cricked and she couldn’t dance on it? Her foot often “cricks” though and she just waits till it cricks back and carries on. This time she couldn’t.

I thought she’d be fine and now I’m worried - should I mention anything at Finals tomorrow or just leave it be?

I don’t want to make it look like I’m making any excuses or being a bit pushy so I’d rather not say anything. To look at her dancing around to Strictly now there doesn’t seem to be a thing wrong with her, jumping, up on her toes, all seems painless? But then she’s not doing any Ballet specifically just mucking around...

Plus I know if I do work up the courage to say anything I’ll just go bright red and not make a single bit of sense or have my innocent but “resting bitch face” entirely misinterpreted as the snowflake rearing helicopter parent I really dread.

(DD currently has fake plastic rose clutched between her toes balancing on that bad foot trying to touch back of head with it to the strains of We’re In The Money just to put in context)

• Like 4

My 'like' was for Dd's Strictly Dancing, not for her injury, which sounds very painful. 

In terms of tomorrow I think if she says in morning it is sore and affecting how she moves I think totally reasonable to mention she was injured. Otherwise maybe just dose with ibuprofen and hope that takes edge off any residual niggling pain?

And good luck to mini pv! Pom poms are ready and waiting.

• Like 3

Thank you luv! She doesn’t want me to say anything - stiff upper lip and all that. Maybe if I stand in the queue and loudly proclaim “you can hardly see the bruises through her tights” in an offhand way...very subtly..

Lower expectations enough to pave way for shock amazingness.

No. 

I’m going to drop kick her into Central and trot off in search off more fussy, over priced, takes ages and is tepid when finally arrives Holborn hipster coffee (Prufrock I’m looking at you)

• Like 2

Since him upstairs started working from home regularly the only time we go out of our way to chat face to face is over an audition coffee. Usually it’s via the landline intercom. We don’t even use names anymore just 

“TOPFLOOR!”

”...hello lounge?”

good luck to everyone tmrw xx

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Petalviolet said:

Sorry to hear that MAK, just to get to finals in a tough full cast all bells and whistles production Year is a tough one. 

No post for us yet but another friend received a No letter this morning and she’s a fabulous dancer so...ugh. 

The only thing I regret is that she hadn't auditioned before. With hindsight I would have encouraged her to do so as next year would be the last time she'd be eligible and if they do another smaller scale production the chances will be even slimmer (let's hope they don't). In the meantime, huge congratulations to all the yeses. We will look forward to seeing you dance next year!

58 minutes ago, Petalviolet said:

There will be a mini pv on tour!! Haha - she will be thrilled after just getting to finals last year!

Petalviolet, congratulations to mini pv. My dd was on a tour last year and it was an incredible experience for her X

• Like 3

Hello, my son's got a yes for main cast too. It's the 3rd year that he's been involved, so feel very lucky! He got a place on the tour and "ballet for boys" lessons the first year and got into Secret Garden last year. LCB has been a great experience. Best wishes to all waiting for news xx

• Like 5

19 hours ago, MAK said:

It's the usual "no" for us - came by post. Good luck everyone, I'm sure we'll be coming to watch the lucky few in April 😊

Sorry to hear MaK, It is hard for children, keep strong and continue dancing. Good luck with other auditions x

Thanks @Annasophia, congratulations to your dd!

I think dd1 will probably take a step back now and focus on (academic) school and perhaps finding another passion or hobby just to do for fun. The internal competition at her local dance school is extremely strong and her confidence has gone through the floor this year. Dd2 always rationalises every knockback so I'm sure she'll be auditioning for years to come!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAK said:

Thanks @Annasophia, congratulations to your dd!

I think dd1 will probably take a step back now and focus on (academic) school and perhaps finding another passion or hobby just to do for fun. The internal competition at her local dance school is extremely strong and her confidence has gone through the floor this year. Dd2 always rationalises every knockback so I'm sure she'll be auditioning for years to come!!

I'm so sorry to hear her confidence is low, but getting to the finals is such an achievement in itself. As I see it LCB are looking for certain roles to be filled, and dancers who get cast aren't 'better' dancers, just fit what the panel is looking for in a particular year. I hope she can look back and see with hindsight how well she really did. Personally I think anyone who can dance in a room full of strangers, in front of panel of judges, is just amazing anyway! xx

• Like 4