ArucariaBallerina

English Youth Ballet 2017-18

14 minutes ago, dancertaxi said:

Hi for those who have been to the audition, what colour leotard did you wear and what style? 

DD will be attending Buxton audition. 

Also will she Def stay in with Junior group regardless of grade?  Shes 10 grade 5 and just started learning grade 6 too. 

Dd will have taken grade 5 before audition. 

At 10, I would think she will audition with the juniors regardless of grade. They do have some flexibility for 11/12 year olds  - my DD did the senior audition when she was 11, and some 12 year olds do the junior audition. But I would think a 10 year old would be better doing the junior audition. If in doubt though you can, always email Miss Lewis and ask. 

They don't stay as separate groups throughout the programme anyway, so it probably doesn't matter that much to be honest! Casting is done at the first rehearsal and  the groups that the middle of the age range encompass tend to be made up of the older ones from the junior audition and the younger ones from the senior audition. Likewise they are put into 3 groups for daily class before the rehearsals, which are based on what level they are at as well as age. Size is a factor of course as they have to fit in the costumes, so that does influence what parts are allocated, but many of the groups involve students from both junior and senior auditions.

• Like 1

Regarding leotards - Miss Lewis has a problem with the colour purple, it actual makes her feel very ill. This doesn’t mean girls wearing purple don’t get in because they do,at the last EYB audition DD purple was the colour of a local school, the majority of them got in despite wearing purple  but if you can avoid it then do for Miss Lewis’s sake more than anything. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

Regarding leotards - Miss Lewis has a problem with the colour purple, it actual makes her feel very ill. This doesn’t mean girls wearing purple don’t get in because they do,at the last EYB audition DD purple was the colour of a local school, the majority of them got in despite wearing purple  but if you can avoid it then do for Miss Lewis’s sake more than anything. 

Thanks pointetoes thats helpful to know. Wouldnt want to make her feel sickly. 

I have looked at the Buxton audition for my dd, she is interested in doing it but was wondering how her associate class would be with missing so many weekends?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Princessballerina said:

I have looked at the Buxton audition for my dd, she is interested in doing it but was wondering how her associate class would be with missing so many weekends?

My Dd finished JA thankfully in June and starts performing arts secondary school sept. We had said not taking on anything else while she settles into school but Dd missed last time we were able to do as was 3 days off being minimum age for audition. 

I guess the only thing would be I know our JA didnt start til mid Sept so the first rehearsal weekend might at least be ok??

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

Saturday rehearsals usually start at 2pm and Sunday at 12 noon, 

That's useful to know, thank you.

On 17/04/2018 at 21:55, Sugarplummum said:

It was a no for dd 😣

She got totally overwhelmed and started crying when She was called in.

She seemed to have settled down by the time we went in to watch, but then when she got nearer the front she started crying again, felt awful for her 😢

Then to top it all off she needed a wee so had to pull her out to go to the toilet! (You probably saw me lol) Not a great look for her lol.

But I'm so proud that she faced her fears and didn't give in and I'm hoping going forwards she will learn to control her nerves. 

She did say she would try again in 2 years so she can't

Be too traumatised 🤣

Well done to your dc, there were alot of applicants so that's fantastic she got a place. 

And also very well done to @ArucariaBallerina

So sorry to hear this, I commented on your other thread and was crossing my fingers for your dd. Hopefully next time!

Hi there! Has anyone performing in Wimbledon swan lake in August heard anything yet about rehersal venue? I know it said by Friday but I’m feeling randomly paranoid about the radio silence! Thanks in advance- it’s all rather new to me! 

Edited by Becca

1 hour ago, Becca said:

Hi there! Has anyone performing in Wimbledon swan lake in August heard anything yet about rehersal venue? I know it said by Friday but I’m feeling randomly paranoid about the radio silence! Thanks in advance- it’s all rather new to me! 

I’d missed that! I was wondering if it was too early to start a thread. It would be great to be in touch with others who are doing Swan Lake.

Thanks all! I feel appeased! I’d love to be in touch too- a thread sounds like a great idea!

Me too. Had completely forgotten about rehearsal venue. I did have it confirmed that casting/photos is definitely Tues 26th June (as inevitably we have clashes 😱).

I have a bit of a dilemma, there are 4 Fridays when we need to get to the rehearsal venue for 4pm.

School finishes at 3.15 but we'll be travelling from Derby to Nottingham. She only has one lesson in the afternoon but it's Maths or Science on Fridays.

School have been really good about the time off for the dress rehearsal and are also allowing my DC's to miss a day when my eldest graduates. 

I just feel like it would be pushing it to ask if I can collect her at the start of lunch.

Edited by Tatasmum
Screen jumps!!!

When my DD did Coppelia earlier this year, the first hour always consisted of warm up ballet exercises so if you struggle to get time off from school, they're really understanding about it at the EYB (I also overheard that it is for this reason that they allocate the first hour for warm ups). It's then followed by the actual casting/rehearsals. So I wouldn't worry :) 

1 hour ago, AdageKitty said:

When my DD did Coppelia earlier this year, the first hour always consisted of warm up ballet exercises so if you struggle to get time off from school, they're really understanding about it at the EYB (I also overheard that it is for this reason that they allocate the first hour for warm ups). It's then followed by the actual casting/rehearsals. So I wouldn't worry :) 

That's reassuring to hear 😊

Edited by Tatasmum

@Lifeisgood there is no Pointework in the auditions... All on flat for all groups! You will only need to do pointe at Casting if you get in, but if you are not on pointe there are still Pointework parts for seniors x

We have the casting in Nottingham this afternoon. Quite excited about it. I'm collecting DD 15 minutes early from school but she won't have time to get changed beforehand..

Good luck to your dd @Tatasmum.

Out of interest, how long after casting is it generally until you find out the part they've been given, or is that shared when rehearsals start?

• Like 1

I’m sure when students have done it before they find out at the casting what parts they have

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MAK said:

Out of interest, how long after casting is it generally until you find out the part they've been given, or is that shared when rehearsals start?

Thank you @MAK 

26 minutes ago, MAK said:

You find out on the day of casting what part you have. 

Oh really, that's great thank you everyone. I do rather like this "not being made to wait" approach that EYB has 😊 (appreciate it doesn't work in all scenarios).

12 minutes ago, Tatasmum said:

Are they given a t shirt at casting? 

Some, not all, are given a t-shirt just to wear for the casting day photos. T-shirts are then available to purchase at rehearsals (not compulsory!)

• Like 1

So DD is a 'party guest' and something else that she can't remember - 'they wore a puffy dress and lots of feathers'

? ???

Anyway, she's come home very happy. 

Has anybody got experience of Cinderella in Hollywood? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hoglett said:

So DD is a 'party guest' and something else that she can't remember - 'they wore a puffy dress and lots of feathers'

? ???

Anyway, she's come home very happy. 

Has anybody got experience of Cinderella in Hollywood? 

Hi Hoglett 

i believe it's an new production so everything new! How exciting :wub:

c4d