English Youth Ballet 2017-18

ArucariaBallerina

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Absolutely delighted, ecstatic, amazed to say that I have been offered a full scholarship for EYB! I'm so happy, especially with many disappointments over the last few months!Β :)Β Thank you everybody on here for all your support and encouragement and advice always xx

Fantastic news which made my eyes well up! Well done, I am so pleased for you.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sugarplummum said:

Anyone going to the Nottingham audition today?Β 

It is dd first audition for anything and she is very nervous 😣

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, was a bit hectic collecting DD from school at lunchtime and getting her bun just right. DD was thrilled to get a place, hope your DD was successful.

The venue wasn't as comfortable as the Royal Concert Hall in 2016. I tookΒ a flask with me and stood for most of the time, had a quick sit down on Β a bench during the boy's dances.

It was a no for dd 😣

Β 

She got totally overwhelmed and started crying when She was called in.

She seemed to have settled down by the time we went in to watch, but then when she got nearer the front she started crying again, felt awful for her 😒

Then to top it all off she needed a wee so had to pull her out to go to the toilet! (You probably saw me lol) Not a great look for her lol.

But I'm so proud that she faced her fears and didn't give in and I'm hoping going forwards she will learn to control her nerves.Β 

She did say she would try again in 2 years so she can't

Be too traumatised 🀣

Β 

Well done to your dc, there were alot of applicants so that's fantastic she got a place.Β 

Β 

And also very well done to @ArucariaBallerina

Β 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sugarplummum said:

It was a no for dd 😣

Β 

She seemed to have settled down by the time we went in to watch, but then when she got nearer the front she started crying again, felt awful for her 😒

Then to top it all off she needed a wee so had to pull her out to go to the toilet! (You probably saw me lol) Not a great look for her lol.

But I'm so proud that she faced her fears and didn't give in and I'm hoping going forwards she will learn to control her nerves.Β 

Be too traumatised 🀣

Β 

Well done to your dc, there were alot of applicants so that's fantastic she got a place.Β 

Β 

Β 

Thank you andΒ I'm sorry to hear that and I didn't notice you nip out. I was stood near the back. My DD didn't get in last time so now your DD has had experience she will cope better next time. I think it was worse for them this time as the 'audience' and panel were so close to the dancers.Β 

Β 

Edited by Tatasmum

5 minutes ago, Sugarplummum said:

It was a no for dd 😣

Β 

Be too traumatised 🀣

Β 

Β 

Β 

Aww, bless her, what a shame. These things can be very daunting. But sometimes we learn the most from experiences that don't go according to plan. Next time she will know more what to expect and will probably feel far more confident. Just getting up on stage and having a go is a big achievement so she should be proud of herself.

• Like 1

Hi for those who have been to the audition, what colour leotard did you wear and what style?Β 

DD will be attending Buxton audition.Β 

Β 

Also will she Def stay in with Junior group regardless of grade?Β  Shes 10 grade 5 and just started learning grade 6 too.Β 

Dd will have taken grade 5 before audition.Β 

Edited by dancertaxi
Info

11 minutes ago, dancertaxi said:

Hi for those who have been to the audition, what colour leotard did you wear and what style?Β 

Β 

Also will she Def stay in with Junior group regardless of grade?Β  Shes 10 grade 5 and just started learning grade 6 too.Β 

My DD wore a black Bloch lacy cap sleeved. Her class leotard is getting a bit faded bobbly so I wanted her to feel confident and smart. Others had their regular class leotards on though. Lots of navy lilac blue black and a few pastel coloured ones.

On the email It says 12 year olds who are below grade 5 can audition for juniors so I think your daughter will definitely be in Juniors. Good luck!

Edited by Tatasmum

1 minute ago, Tatasmum said:

My DD wore a Bloch cap sleeved. Her class leotard is getting a bit faded bobbly so I wanted her to feel confident and smart. Others had their regular class leotards on though. On the email It says 12 year olds who are below grade 5 can audition for juniors so I think your daughter will definitely be in Juniors. Good luck!

Thanks Tatasmum.Β 

I was dreading them looking at grade 6 on her form ( takes grade 5 end april) and her being told to dance with those much olderΒ 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dancertaxi said:

Β 

At 10, I would think she will audition with the juniors regardless of grade. They do have some flexibility for 11/12 year oldsΒ  - my DD did the senior audition when she was 11, and some 12 year olds do the junior audition. But I would think a 10 year old would be better doing the junior audition. If in doubt though you can, always email Miss Lewis and ask.Β 

They don't stay as separate groups throughout the programme anyway, so it probably doesn't matter that much to be honest! Casting is done at the first rehearsal andΒ  the groups that the middle of the age range encompass tend to be made up of the older ones from the junior audition and the younger ones from the senior audition. Likewise they are put into 3 groups for daily class before the rehearsals, which are based on what level they are at as well as age. Size is a factor of course as they have to fit in the costumes, so that does influence what parts are allocated, but many of the groups involve students from both junior and senior auditions.

• Like 1

Regarding leotards - Miss Lewis has a problem with the colour purple, it actual makes her feel very ill. This doesn’t mean girls wearing purple don’t get in because they do,at the last EYB audition DD purple was the colour of a local school, the majority of them got in despite wearing purple Β but if you can avoid it then do for Miss Lewis’s sake more than anything.Β 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

Regarding leotards - Miss Lewis has a problem with the colour purple, it actual makes her feel very ill. This doesn’t mean girls wearing purple don’t get in because they do,at the last EYB audition DD purple was the colour of a local school, the majority of them got in despite wearing purple Β but if you can avoid it then do for Miss Lewis’s sake more than anything.Β 

Thanks pointetoes thats helpful to know. Wouldnt want to make her feel sickly.Β 

41 minutes ago, Princessballerina said:

I have looked at the Buxton audition for my dd, she is interested in doing it but was wondering how her associate class would be with missing so many weekends?

My Dd finished JA thankfully in June and starts performing arts secondary school sept. We had said not taking on anything else while she settles into school but Dd missed last time we were able to do as was 3 days off being minimum age for audition.Β 

I guess the only thing would be I know our JA didnt start til mid Sept so the first rehearsal weekend might at least be ok??

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2018 at 21:55, Sugarplummum said:

It was a no for dd 😣

Β 

Be too traumatised 🀣

Β 

Β 

Β 

So sorry to hear this, I commented on your other thread and was crossing my fingers for your dd. Hopefully next time!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there!Β Has anyone performing in Wimbledon swan lake in August heard anything yet about rehersal venue? I know it said by Friday but I’m feeling randomly paranoid about the radio silence! Thanks in advance- it’s all rather new to me!Β 

Edited by Becca

1 hour ago, Becca said:

Hi there!Β Has anyone performing in Wimbledon swan lake in August heard anything yet about rehersal venue? I know it said by Friday but I’m feeling randomly paranoid about the radio silence! Thanks in advance- it’s all rather new to me!Β 

I’d missed that! I was wondering if it was too early to start a thread. It would be great to be in touch with others who are doing Swan Lake.