EYB-Sleeping Beauty - and footcare questions!

Danceroo

Don't panic, swanprincess - my dd had a new pair which she broke in just before EYB and they lasted for the whole thing. She doesn't tend to kill pointes very quickly and these were a harder shank than usual.

I'd recommend seeing what part you get because some parts have more pointework and more dancing than others, and it will also depend on how quickly you normally break shoes. :-)

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm with RYB ahead, hadn't considered pointe shoes - hmm lots if darning ahead then!

No, just ripped the ends off and nail varnished the edges of them!!!! It was sewing on ribbons that took the time, even recycling ribbons from one pair to another she needed about 4 pairs 'ready to go' at a time!!

• Like 1

There are a number of things you can do to aid in picking up dance combinations more quickly. Do you want to discuss it here or ddo you want to make a new thread?

Might be easier to start a new thread, Anjuli, that way people who may not look at the EYB thread can also get tips and/or contribute. :-)

Taxiforballet, I have started darning my own pointes for the first time this week (previously just stuck on the suade patches), and am beginning to feel like Aurora- have pricked my finger with the needle about 4 times already.... ;) Hope your dd's darning mission goes well! x

• Like 2

Hi Spanner, my dd has been having similar pressure pain on the big toes too - and has developed a lovely bruised toenail over the two days off! She asked Emma if there was anything she could do but there isn't apparently, it's just how it is! What my dd has been doing though is smothering her toes with both Germolene and Arnica cream in the evenings and letting it sink in - don't know if it's doing any good but at least she feels like she's doing something!

The best thing for any soreness after rehearsals, training etc is a 15 minute bathe in ice water. Get a tray of icecubes or more, and fill an old washing up bowl or bucket with VERY cold water (let the tap run for a bit to make sure it's coming from way down underground!) and add the ice. Have your DD sit with her feet & ankles, or calves too if using a bucket, in the ice water. It's certainly not pleasant but it's the best way to aid recovery.

There's a reason Olympic athletes do it!

Edited by drdance
  • Like 3

I tried to add photos but if you do a quick google search of athletes and ice baths you'll see Jessica Ennis among others all in their ice baths. Some stood in wheelie bins up to their waist but at the Athlete's village there's a room full of inflatable baths for the athletes to use, and a whiteboard where they've all written messages to each other!

• Like 1

By chance I got chatting to a mum at the EYB rehearsal yesterday about sore feet. She told me about the freezing water/foot bath idea which sounded terrible to me. I told my dd and she was so keen to try anything to relieve her sore big toes she gave it a go. It wasn't pleasant but this morning dd woke up with a smile and said her feet felt completely normal. So, if you dd's can stand it it might just work for them too!

• Like 2

So how does the ice help? I'd probably go for Savlon cream and moisturiser if it was me- does the ice on the feet purely reduce swelling, as Anjuli mentioned, or will it help blisters etc to heal? :)

When there is an injury the cells and tiny blood vessels in the area are torn and they leak fluid at the site which produces pain and swelling. Applying cold compress/ice stops this leakage.

You should always have a cold compress (easily purchased) in your freezer. A bag of frozen peas also works wonderfully. This can be wrapped around the injury.

However, even though this helps with pain and swelling - you should not therefore assume all is well and run out and immediately go full throttle into your physical activity. The injury still needs to heal.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 2

Anjuli is spot on there - however you're probably thinking 'my feet are just sore, not injured'....

After any moderate to intense bout of physical activity the body tissues are experience some wear and tear, known as microtrauma. Most of the time, we don't even know it's happening and are totally pain free, and once we rest, our bodies heal this wear and tear all by itself quite happily (incidentally, this microtrauma is the stimulus that generates strength too).

If this microtrauma becomes a bit more than 'micro' then tissues get inflamed (pain and/or redness and/or heat and/or swelling). The signs of inflammation vary from person to person... some get swelling and puffiness but nothing else, some get a bit sore but don't feel any of the other signs. But that's not to say that they aren't there!

Ice reduces the inflammation therefore reducing the pain caused by it. Ice also reduces muscle spasm which also often occurs after a lot of activity. Heat opens up the blood vessels which increases inflammation so actually the worst thing one can do is climb into a hot bath!

Edited to add: Ice won't necessarily help blisters to heal, but might help relieve the pain and swelling associated with them. A bit of salt in the water will help as an antiseptic but might sting!

Edited by drdance
  • Like 4

The chiropodist told us not to put any savlon - in fact any cream at all on dd's feet, just salt water bathing and then wiping with surgical spirit. She said you don't want to soften dancing skin, and that if you're inclined to slightly ingrowing nails, putting cream on them can almost clog them up and seal any underlying infection in.

My dd tried ice cold water after EYB and then wiping with surgical spirit and amazingly she didn't have even one blister the whole time. :-)

• Like 4

that's interesting, drdance and anjuli, i had always wondered why it is necessary to ice injuries! the science behind dance is fascinating :)

It certainly is! I spent a good 9 years studying it full time and spreading the word is my passion (as if you hadn't already guessed!)

• Like 1

Anyone at Elmhurst should know what I mean when I mention the 'red buckets of death'. They've got tall red buckets of iced water for legs to go in. Obviously not everyone uses them but my son found it the best thing for his problem calves.

• Like 4