Year 11

BlueLou

We did this last year and yes it can be challenging. Some ideas - Use one calendar/diary (whether e or paper) and put everything in it (dance, school, work, dentist whatever). That way any clashes can be intercepted. Talk to your dcs school early on  - I put auditions in same context as visits to FE colleges/ other 6th form - so that its not a total shock to them when you need time off. I personally would not allow anything to compromise/jeopardise GCSEs - needed as a condition of entry to some courses and always needed for later on. If that means participation at festivals etc has to go by the board for year 11 so be it. At this point you may be accused of being selfish. Ignore the selfish person who says this. Get your audition requests in early to secure the best dates for you. We also tried to knock off all the applications together. I made a chart of all the photo poses needed and just blasted through in one session. Be prepared for the expense of it all - not sure I was tbh and by the time you have added up flights hotels and petrol it gets scary. If your dc is lucky enough to secure an early offer at a school they definitely want to go to, then be ready to have the discussion about whether to do any more auditions. Other than that, I'd say what you need is a fast and unerring sense of priority and a good sense of humour.

YOU - photos, applications, travel arrangements, personal statements, booking days off school, sorting revision sessions during school hours e.g by DC missing PE etc. Applications in as early as possible to avoid too many auditions/finals (if lucky) just before exams. Oh and lots of chauffeuring to and from training. Oh and work!!

DC -coursework, revision, exams, training. Try to attend training less and less as auditions/finals are over from around March time onwards.

I think I have read your DC attends the NBT CAT scheme? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Whilst they are quite strict on attendance they are great during GCSE year and will allow DC to miss as many nights off as they need for exam revision or if they are just too exhausted and need a rest😊

Good luck and enjoy doing it all together. It all seems like a huge amount of effort but I guarantee you will miss all of it once they are away at Upper School👍 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Pud said:
2 hours ago, Yorkshire Pud said:

YOU - photos, applications, travel arrangements, personal statements, booking days off school, sorting revision sessions during school hours e.g by DC missing PE etc. Applications in as early as possible to avoid too many auditions/finals (if lucky) just before exams. Oh and lots of chauffeuring to and from training. Oh and work!!

DC -coursework, revision, exams, training. Try to attend training less and less as auditions/finals are over from around March time onwards.

I think I have read your DC attends the NBT CAT scheme? Please correct me if I’m wrong. Whilst they are quite strict on attendance they are great during GCSE year and will allow DC to miss as many nights off as they need for exam revision or if they are just too exhausted and need a rest😊

Good luck and enjoy doing it all together. It all seems like a huge amount of effort but I guarantee you will miss all of it once they are away at Upper School👍 

Thankyou! Yes, she is at Northern CAT. And they are very supportive and helpful. Too much stuff to do backing up at the moment, but I know that we'll get through it and hopefully one day we'll look back at plenty of good memories of this year! Half term now - time to catch up a bit, and rest 😊. 

• Like 1

One step and one thing at a time. Make sure your DC gets sleep. Tell school they are ill if they need a day in bed (exhaustion makes you feel poorly. It is not a lie). I agree with Pups Mum. Stock the house with some gin and wine.

• Like 2

Gin and wine for you 

if DD is looking or is exhausted take the day off school. At DDs prom she was awarded the hat that said “most likely to miss Friday afternoon Biology “ She got an A ......

Tell school her plans, be open and honest but don’t take no for an answer. 

We were completely honest, told we were mad and wasting a good brain etc etc At speech day last week all the staff commented on how well DD looks and how happy she is. Not quiet an apology but close to it. 

Good luck it is quiet possibly the worst year. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I totally sympathise with you as we are in the same boat.

Throw in school House Dance event and then the local Am Dram Panto as well as the mocks, RAD exams, auditions and a little holiday called Christmas into the mix and all I keep thinking of is roll on June 23rd (day after last GCSE and Prom)! ;)

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

On 06/11/2017 at 21:20, balletbean said:

I totally sympathise with you as we are in the same boat.

Throw in school House Dance event and then the local Am Dram Panto as well as the mocks, RAD exams, auditions and a little holiday called Christmas into the mix and all I keep thinking of is roll on June 23rd (day after last GCSE and Prom)! ;)

I too would sometimes like to fast forward to after auditions and gcses, but then I think of all the experiences,memories and audition trips we would miss out on. Granted it's going to be a very busy and difficult time but hopefully we can enjoy it too.x

• Like 5