RBS Associate Yes and No Letters

dancing10

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Elmhurst envelopes came in A4 yes smaller envelopes No, but are all associate responses the same?? at least if you know the size of envelope then you don't need to open it if dd is at school when it arrives and you can pick your time to give them no envelope.

Hate all this waiting.

good luck to all those waiting

In my experience, there has never been a difference in yes or no letters from RBS or Elmhurst. They all come in a normal envelope size and contain one sheet of paper saying yes or no. If its a yes, they then follow up with more information in larger envelopes later.

I think it is different with Tring or Hammond as they tend to send you lots of information about how to reserve your place with the yes letter.

I don't know if it's the same for Associates but the "yes" letters for the RBS summer school is the same size but much thicker than the "no" letters. We had one of each this year!

:) + :( = :unsure: I suppose...

• Like 1

The RBS ones are thin regardless of yes or no - making the torture even worse when it arrives on a day when your DD or DS is out dancing until late and you have to sit and look at it!!!! ;) (or steam it open in the case of some of my friends!!!!)

Best of luck to those waiting - next week perhaps?

(well for LS anyway)

F x

• 1 month later...

JA and MA letters for my dd were both small thin envelopes, one sheet of paper with an acceptance slip initially. The mountain of forms follow later. In fact, I seem to have spent half my life filling in forms since dd took up ballet!

• Like 1

Afab ... I can't really remember and the letter was just 'date as postmark', however, the deadline for accepting the place was mid April ... and they don't generally give you long to reply, so I think it will have been around the end of March ... I'm sure it came towards the beginning of the Easter holidays, so it's quite a wait after finals.

When my DD applied for SAs 2 years ago we were told associate letters went out after all the auditions were completed. Don't forget they probably allow time for people to accept/decline places offered and offer from the WL before dealing with associate places. We were told end March 2 years ago but the letter came early April. I remember well because we had an early April deadline for DD to respond to something and we were waiting for Associates news first.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Still a little early to hear but I wanted to ask about the SA places for RBS because I have just been chatting to my dd's ex-dance teacher and she told me that SAs are very often from vocational school and go to RBS associates at the weekend. I had no idea of this-I thought associate places were intended for those not in full-time training. Can anyone enlighten me please.

Swe

I've not heard of anyone at WL or Elmhurst going to an associate class, but I knew a girl who used to go to Tring who went to RBS MAs. At the time my daugther was a JA and I did find it odd that someone at full-time school would carry on with associates - in their case they were hoping that one day she'd get into RBS and it was a case of "keeping their hand in". From a purely personal point of view I don't think it's right - I think associate classes should be there for those not in full-time training. Just my opinion.....

(Edited for typo)

• Like 3

Yes I suppose I can see that if you needn't give up your place, then it may be great on your CV and enhance your training, but I have to be honest, I now feel dd's chance of a place are even slimmer and I may not have encouraged her to go for it had I known this previously (as negative as this may sound)!

I know we discussed attending two different associate classes, but the only people I know who do that (not my dd!) are not at Vocational School. I think that's a different issue from being at Vocational School and still attending Associates though. The whole point of Associate Classes for my daughter is to take advantage of very good non-syllabus training at the same time as "topping up" her local syllabus training and juggling academic school.

Surely there must be a slight clash between two systems of training if, for example, you attended Tring and also RBS Associates?

I think I'm going to have to agree to disagree with people who have done both (vocational and associates, or two associates) as it's not something I would ever have even considered for my son or daughter. When ds went to full-time vocational school he needed some "down time" not travelling to another dance class, and when my dd was a JA I wouldn't want to take away a place for another student who didn't get into JAs but might've got into another associate scheme. Don't mean to sound grumpy - just something I feel quite strongly about

• Like 4

I know of a girl who was an SA while at vocational school who then went on to be accepted into 6th form at RBS. I also know of a dancer who is at vocational school who is also on a CAT scheme. A few of my Students have been on up to 3 associate schemes at a time! All the schemes have similar audition times and you are not guaranteed places at any of them so parents opt to let their children try for as many they are interested in. The results come out at different times so if a child is offered a place at one they are not going to turn it down while waiting to hear off the others as they may not get a place in the others. Also thinking ahead to auditioning at 10/11 being in different schemes means they have experience of the schools and what may or may not be right for their child.

• Like 1

Knowing how hard my DD works to juggle the vast amount of homework she gets, singing and piano lessons, local dance classes 4 evenings a week and Associates pretty much all day on Saturday (including travelling time), I wouldn't want her to attend a second Associate class on a Sunday. She'd never fit all her homework in BUT, just as importantly, she'd never get any time to rest her body and mind.

Knowing how hard children at Vocational School work, (and don't some of them do RAD classes on a Saturday?), I wouldn't be happy for my child to be dancing every day at Vocational school and then doing an Associate class - when are they supposed to get quality rest?

• Like 2

I was just about to make the very same point, Spanner! My DD does 5 x weekday ballet technique plus 3 hours RAD on Saturday. Even if we lived close enough to whip her out of school and take her to a Saturday afternoon associate class I certainly don't think it would do her any good. And to do a Sunday class would mean she was dancing 7 days a week which is a real no no! She's tired enough as it is!

• Like 1

I know that anyone doing associates from Tring is doing it without the Director of Dance's permission. The school feels strongly that the students do enough during the week and need time to rest and that there can be confusion in style. I know this because I asked for permission for my son to continue with his RBS associates class (mainly cos I'd paid for the year and he got an early scholarship and I wanted to get my money's worth LOL!) and I was given a very clear no. The RBS letter offering an associates place requires that a letter be sent from the vocational school principal giving permission. Tring has stated categirically they won't give permission, so anyone doing it has probably done it without the school's knowledge.

• Like 2