33 minutes ago, alison said:

Indeed.  I notice Clement Crisp, in his summing-up for the FT, suggested it be repeated on a four-yearly basis.  It then struck me: is there any reason why something similar couldn't be done for Ashton?  (Although given that BRB have a fair amount of Ashton in their repertoire there would be less novelty involved).

I think it absolutely should be done for Ashton. There must be various possible anniversaries that could be used as the rationale.

• Like 9

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back from a London trip taking in the final MacMillan evening, Lucia di Lammermoor and the Triple Bill general rehearsal.  I'm sorry that I hadn't managed any earlier MacMillan performances given the enthusiastic reviews but the Insight relays have been excellent.  

I very much enjoy the intimacy of the Clore Studio and found Sea of Troubles fascinating and exquisite playing of Webern and Martinu.  

I'd not seen Judas Tree in the theatre before: brutal, traumatic and deeply unsettling, but demanding we explore humanity's dark recesses.  Melissa, Benn, Matthew, Calvin and all the men were incredibly committed: the Royal Ballet have such strength in depth.  The music works well and I would certainly go again.  I'm not sure how dancers manage to recover from such searing roles - it certainly gave me a restless night simply having been in the audience.  And how on earth they move from Judas Tree rehearsals to fun Alice performances etc is quite beyond me.

Song was particularly poignant for me and lovely to see Tamara back at the ROH but I thought some sections didn't quite seem as coherent as I remember from recent Royal Ballet performances (passing the girl between the men) and I'm afraid I thought Joseph Caley distinctly underwhelming.  In contrast I found Jeffrey Cirio a hugely impressive Messenger with real clarity and precision in his dancing.  Again as many people have said the music was wonderfully performed.

Congratulations to Kevin O’Hare and all involved in such a great collaboration and I agree with the calls for further such projects and not limited to MacMillan.

Apologies for a slight aside but I must add how stunning Lucia was.  Wonderful coloratura from Lisette Oropesa, strong cast, superlative shaping from conductor Michele Mariotti, and a gripping, intelligent production.  Has quite restored my faith in Opera well in time for next Autumn’s Ring.  Rather made for a traumatic series of performances with only The Illustrated Farewell as light relief but tremendous theatre and genuinely moving.

• Like 9

On 02/11/2017 at 20:05, bridiem said:

I think it absolutely should be done for Ashton. There must be various possible anniversaries that could be used as the rationale.

Do it for Ashton , if it works as well again the no excuses / reasons needed to keep doing it. 

• Like 7

I was so thrilled to be able to make the Nov 1 performance. Song Of The Earth was everything I hoped it would be:  wonderful music, inspirational singing, and stunning dance/movement of ENB artists. Joseph Caley, Jeffrey Cirio, and Tamara Rojo as Lead Man and Woman and Messanger were wonderful matched in every way. Caley was clever, funny, and expressive. The journey of life ending with Rojo and Cirio brought me to tears - so well intertwined emotionally and physically.  The lead supporting cast of Senri Kou, Tiffany Hedman, and Aitor Arrieta led me through the times of youth, beauty, and love. Their intent was clear: Kou in the playfulness of youth, Hedman in the beauty of new love, and Arrieta discovering love. 

Bravo to the musicians, singers, and Gavin Sutherland. A wonderful experience and I can't wait to see it again in January!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

I'm not sure how dancers manage to recover from such searing roles - it certainly gave me a restless night simply having been in the audience.  And how on earth they move from Judas Tree rehearsals to fun Alice performances etc is quite beyond me.

Presumably you didn't go to the "Dancing Mayerling" insight prior to the double bill?  One of the things which was mentioned was the difficulty of sleeping after doing some of the more (emotionally?) demanding roles - I don't think "Mayerling" was the only culprit there.  And possibly the Alice is some light relief after the very dark?

• Like 2