Make up for ballet Upper School auditions

sarahw

DD is about to start auditions. She is a young 15 and looks it and doesn't usually wear make up although she has done for shows etc. She is pale skinned. So my questions are:

1)Should she wear any?

2) If so what? Foundation/tinted moisturiser? Blusher/highlighter? Mascara? Eyeshadow? Lipstick/gloss?

I'm not skilled at make up so thought a session at No 7 may be in order but wanted the benefit of your experience first. It needs to be fairly simple I think to avoid un- necessary stress. 😂😂😂😂

Many thanks 

For an audition you want as few distractions as possible so maybe try a few products and looks out over half term? The purpose of make up (for me) is to make the wearer feel more confident, so if it causes self-consciousness or stress in getting the 'right look' you might be better off without it. My dd favoured a light concealer to even out skin tone, lip gloss in a neutral shade and a little mascara and eye brow pencil (eye brows very on trend apparently). But ultimately it is OK to look 15 years old.

It's all about confidence in herself so whatever she thinks she would like to try she needs to get started practising now, wear it for classes now, so she has confidence that her mascara won't run with sweat, she won't lick her lips etc. 

I think it's  like her hair and ribbons she does it so she is happy and confident in herself

• Like 1

My DD was a bit older and she wore some light make up - just a bit of foundation, eye shadow and lip gloss in neutral colours - but I saw plenty of girls with no or very minimal make up on. I think the more MT orientated schools tend to like students to wear more "full on" make up but most of the girls we saw at the classically focused schools were not heavily made up at all. I think its important that your DD feels comfortable so I'd be inclined to let her decide what she thinks she'd be happiest with.

Thank you ladies, that all sounds very reasonable and appropriate for us. We'll try some light foundation type thing as she looks better with a bit of colour and neutral gloss is a great idea. Mascara - even I can do that and we'll investigate discreet brows and possibly eyeshadow...

Thanks again.

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 1

In addition to the relatively sensible approach outlined above, here is another option. Go to audition workshop at Floral Street only to discover have left concealer at home on dressing table. Have complete hissy in Bond Street branch of Boots because they do not appear to have any more of the concealer. Taken pity on by delightful man working at Smashbox counter who is shown by now very tear stained letter inviting dd to Floral street. Delightful man gives dd wonderful professional make over that looks incredibly natural. Never knew it took so many products to look like you weren't wearing make up. Dd skips out happily. Harassed mother feels morally obligated to buy most of Smashbox counter. Retire to John Lewis for light snack and glass of wine. This approach is not recommended.

2 hours ago, mnemo said:

In addition to the relatively sensible approach outlined above, here is another option. Go to audition workshop at Floral Street only to discover have left concealer at home on dressing table. Have complete hissy in Bond Street branch of Boots because they do not appear to have any more of the concealer. Taken pity on by delightful man working at Smashbox counter who is shown by now very tear stained letter inviting dd to Floral street. Delightful man gives dd wonderful professional make over that looks incredibly natural. Never knew it took so many products to look like you weren't wearing make up. Dd skips out happily. Harassed mother feels morally obligated to buy most of Smashbox counter. Retire to John Lewis for light snack and glass of wine. This approach is not recommended.

Oh mnemo I can just imagine it - how hideous! Did you manage to limit yourself to just 1 glass of wine? 

7 hours ago, sarahw said:

Oh mnemo I can just imagine it - how hideous! Did you manage to limit yourself to just 1 glass of wine? 

Not when I finally got home :D but that's another story!