Acosta Danza: London debut, September 2017 & UK Tour

The long awaited Acosta Danza Company are at Sadlers Wells until Saturday 30th September but if you do not have a ticket hope for returns. Quite a mixture, Watch out for Mario Sergei Elias, I called him mini Carlos, watch him go far. If you are expecting some Cuban tunes they are not there. The music is fairly percussive. The Twelve is very clever and well rehearsed. Here are some pictures from the rehearsal.

Acosta%2BDanza%2B-%2BDebut_030.jpg.small

Alejandro Silva and Carlos Luis Blanco in El cruce sobre el Niagara

Acosta+Danza+-+Debut_045.jpg.small.jpg

Mario Sergio Elias in Belles Lettres

Acosta+Danza+-+Debut_129.jpg.small.jpg

Marta Ortega and Carlos Acosta in Mermaid

• Like 4

• John Mallinson changed the title to Acosta Danza: London debut, September 2017

Brilliant. Varied, absorbing, original and fun. I love the whole concept of the company: Carlos wants to showcase the talent of Cuban dancers, celebrate Cuban culture and revive forgotten Cuban works one of which was the first piece in the programme, an incredible duet for two men based on the story of the famous French tightrope walker Blondin. I don't know how many people came to see Carlos himself - he performed a short duet with the very charismatic Martina Ortega -  but he is clear that this company is not a vehicle for him and this was very evident in the way that he conducted himself at the curtain calls. The dancers were wonderful and the company is well worth seeing but you will be disappointed if you are expecting an evening of 'Latin' music and dancing.

• Like 8

I saw the show last Saturday. I have the deepest feelings for what Carlos Acosta is trying to do and what he's done as an artist.

The evening, for me, had a very masculine orientation. I tend to like the ballerina centered gracefulness of ballet related dance, but this is a totally personal choice. I found Carlos Acosta's own performance to have to the best balance of ballet poetry and masculinity. 

I enjoyed a lot of the last work, which revolved around tossed plastic water bottles. It was meant to be fun and it was.There were some dance 'acrobatics' that were as excitingly artistic as I've seen. There were sequences of choreographic and performing excellence throughout the evening.

I do wish him and the dancers much success in bringing the dance artistry of Cuba to the world.

Edited by Buddy
  • Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Acosta Danza: London debut, September 2017 & UK Tour

I saw Acosta Danza at the Lowry last Friday.  What an enjoyable evening it turned out to be.

The evening started off with El cruce sobre el Niagara, based on a tightrope walker's journey across Niagara.  A duet for 2 men, it was very slow moving and totally engrossing.  The sweat on the bodies showed how much effort there is in dancing in such a slow and controlled manner but they made it look effortless.  

Belles Lettres, choreographed by Justin Peck, was gorgeously fluid and lyrical.  I thought the costumes really enhanced the movement.  I just loved it.

The second half of the evening opened with Imponderable which I have to admit I found imponderable but somehow I still enjoyed it!  

Mermaid was a beautiful and moving duet featuring Marta Ortega and Carlos Acosta.

The evening finished with The Twelve.  Goodness me the company showed incredible accuracy when throwing and catching those bottles of water!  It was enormous fun and very clever although perhaps not conventional dance.  It certainly thrilled this member of the audience.

As I said at the start of this posting, it was an enjoyable evening and I came out on a real high.

• Like 2

I was mesmerized by El cruce sobre el Niagara and the effort by the two dancers was tremendous.  The final work put me in mind of a Deborah Colker piece, she always had a unique way with props whereas I noted The Twelve was conceptual rather than choreographic, Colker would have put more dance in, but the audience loved it.  Nice to see a Justin Peck work, we need to see more. 

• Like 2