Vadim Muntagirov visa saga

No news yet on the success of Vadim Muntagirov's work visa application but readers might be interested to hear that Daria Klimentova has told me she and Vadim will be dancing "Swan Lake" in Moscow on 28 August - thankfully he doesn't need a visa for that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great news but now Lachlan has tweeted that his Visa application has been refused - what is our Border Patrol agency up to?? I thought professional ballet dancers were one of occupations not subject to refusal anyway if you understand my gist

That's bad luck for Lachlan who, I understand, is just starting his professional career with BRB. I must say, I had thought that it was a case of ENB being disorganised but it now looks as if there is a widespread problem with the issuing of work permits to non-EU dancers in a timely fashion. I don't want to stray into political territory here but in one of my previous jobs I met many people who had overstayed their visas (usually student visas) for years and they were still living here, working and claiming benefits and living in Council properties, without the authorities doing anything to deport them. This was some time ago and it may be that things have been tightened up since then. On the face of it the Border Agency seems to be taking a very tough line with these dancers, particularly in insisting that they return to their home countries and apply / re-apply for work permits from there.

Aileen, it seems to be one of the rules that you have to do it from your country of origin rather than where you are living in this country when it needs renewing. It seems absolutely ludicrous, especially when you see reports of the numbers of illegal immigrants "missing" in this sceptred isle!

I think all government servants have a hard time these days with so many jobs cut and, if anything in many cases, an increase in workload but it's not just people applying for work visas. I won't bore you with the three attempts that it took my niece (British born of British born of British born ad infinitum) to renew her passport!!!!! Our nerves were shredded by the time it was eventually renewed!!!!!

I sincerely hope Lachlan gets his visa sorted out soon.

A few years back Swansea Ballet Russe suffered through this. My son had danced with them in 2nd year 6th form (he was a student at elmhurst) . He had a call from them in 3rd year saying many of their company had visas refused and could he help out. Fortunately Elmhurst allowed him to go again. I can't remember how many but enough of their dancers from Russia to cause a problem. I always wonder if this helped contribute to their demise. Such a shame as whilst not the heights of ENB, or BRB a grand little touring co that brought ballet to a wider audience.