Living away from home at 16 upper schools

Siconne50

Hi need some advice dd keen to audition for central & Elmhurst, feeling concerned that if offered a place how do they cope at 16 with cooking, cleaning etc as well as studies? Seems very young & surely at that age would need house parents for guidance, does anyone have dc at these schools? Thanks 🤔

• Like 2

I have dc at Elmhurst 6th form. The 6:1 and 6:2 live in a supported house 5 minutes walk from the school. They have 2 houseparents and have all their meals at Elmhurst. They have to do their own washing. The accomadation is very good and my dc are happy with it. As for dance and studies, be prepared for a real boot camp ! They leave the house at 7:45 and don't get back til 7 in the evening. Then they start their homework, washing, exercises etc. Ds was non vocational prior to starting so found it a real struggle but Dd has done 5 years and is finding the increase in dance tiring but is managing well. If you have any specific questions I'm very happy to help xx

• Like 3

Dd attended a Central Dance Day last year. Most dancers there were auditioning the following day. There was a Q&A for parents at the end of the day. The overwhelming majority of concerns raised by parents were to do with living independently. The man from Central pointed out that the dropout rate is zero, or close to zero, every year, so obviously the students are doing just fine. We parents will still worry though! It seems that currently most 1st years at Central live in Liberty Living student accommodation which is just over the road. I presume when Central relocates, most will live in the student accommodation within the new building (although nothing to do with Central). At least they all seem to stick together! Dd will be applying this year. 

• Like 1

When DD did the Central Easter school , in the Q and A they told us the accomadation in the building where they were moving was more "high end" private apartments rather than student accomadation, they anticipated most students would still be accomadated in the liberty living where they are now and thought the walk would be roughly the same. If it is to be student accommodation that would be great. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loulou said:

When DD did the Central Easter school , in the Q and A they told us the accomadation in the building where they were moving was more "high end" private apartments rather than student accomadation, they anticipated most students would still be accomadated in the liberty living where they are now and thought the walk would be roughly the same. If it is to be student accommodation that would be great. 

Just checked the website - they are ‘luxury student apartments’, starting from £265 pppw, which is pretty reasonable. However, they say they only accept over 18s. Maybe they will change that policy when Central move in downstairs! 

http://purestudentliving.com/our-properties/paris-gardens#1-3-bed-apartment

The ‘current’ accommodation  I was thinking of is literally a stone’s throw from the front door of the present Central building, but would be a bit of a walk to Southbank. It’s not actually a Liberty Living, just something similar. Maybe that’s not the one where most students currently stay though. 

http://www.herbalhillstudios.com/

• Like 1

I have a dc of this age in full time training. Some points to consider, it might be new to the applicant and their parents, but the schools do it every year so they are used to easing 16 year olds into training. Dance schools tend to be quite small relative to the size of say, a university or large sixth form college so much more visibility of each student to staff. As regards doing own laundry well most boarding schools expect it of their pupils by 6th form and I have even heard of children living at home who are expected to help wash their own clothes and keep their rooms tidy :).  Shopping for food and cooking are potentially more demanding but again the advent of on line shopping means that you can help them set up a 'model' list of weekly items and make sure they have a basic repertoire of nourishing meals they can easily cook. Its easy to stay in touch these days too with e-media like facetime. 

It was liberty place at liberty plaza that they told us most students lived in and I think all the ones who were at the q and a. That's interesting if there's some reasonable priced in the same building , that's cheaper than liberty plaza  if on your own but not if sharing. As you say when they realise Central have 16 year olds maybe they will change their policy . Wonder why they don't stay at a herbal Hill one if closer. 

https://www.libertyliving.co.uk/student-accommodation/london/

Edited by Loulou
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Mmmm. Our DD is 16 training overseas and tells me her chums in London are having a pretty good time. Without singling out any particular school, I get the impression there is a fair bit of dancing and other things going on outside the studio too. Some schools perhaps more than others...  

Edited by Flora

The majority of the Central students live at Liberty Plaza which is not the accommodation just across the road. They have a bus or tube journey everyday. 

My DD (16) is at a different London school and also takes two buses to school and back every day. She is lucky enough to have he breakfast and evening meal provided which helps enormously but does all he own washing and shopping for lunch, toiletries etc. 

Theg are all in the same situation and adapt very well.