Sir Peter Hall RIP

Jan McNulty

I once had quite unknowingly a long chat with Sir Peter Hall at a well known London restaurant. I was looking at photos of Victorian actors and playwrights. We started discussing them and I thought that he looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't place him. He complimented me on my knowledge of the Victorian theatre and then left. As soon as he disappeared I realised who he was.

• Like 7

I suppose people immediately think of the RSC and NT when they remember him, but he was an inspired opera director too and his version of Britten's A Mid Summer's Night Dream, still in the Glyndebourne repertoire, remains the loveliest opera production I've ever seen.  An extraordinary talent, he'll live forever in the annuls of British theatre history.

• Like 3

I had the privilege of sitting next to him at the RSC many years ago. I don't remember the play but I do remember that he quietly slumbered through the bulk of it while I sat hardly daring to breathe, for fear of disturbing the great man.

His contribution to theatre in this country is so beyond calculation but as MAB says above, he was also a superb opera director, often with his then wife, Maria Ewing leading the cast. Their Salome and his Glyndebourne Midsummer's Night Dream and much else besides are preserved on disk but sadly all too little of his Shakespearean productions and it is for those that I shall chiefly remember him. We were truly blessed.    

• Like 2

From the Radio Times web site:

"The BBC will pay tribute to Sir Peter Hall on BBC4 and BBC2 with a special documentary celebrating the life of the celebrated director. The schedules have been amended to make way for a special documentary called Sir Peter Hall Remembered, looking back at the work of the Royal Shakespeare Company founder and National Theatre director, who has passed away aged 86.

The hour-long episode will feature tributes from theatre greats including Dame Judi Dench, Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave, Sir Trevor Nunn and many others. The documentary will be broadcast on BBC4 on Tuesday 12th September at 9pm."

• Like 2

On 9/12/2017 at 17:00, David said:

From the Radio Times web site:

"The BBC will pay tribute to Sir Peter Hall on BBC4 and BBC2 with a special documentary celebrating the life of the celebrated director..... The hour-long episode will feature tributes from theatre greats including Dame Judi Dench, Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave, Sir Trevor Nunn and many others. The documentary will be broadcast on BBC4 on Tuesday 12th September at 9pm."

A truly marvellous tribute by the BBC that brought back so many memories and sent me rushing to my recordings of his many productions for stage, film, television and opera. We take genius so much for granted when it is with us; it is only when we lose it that we truly appreciate what we had!

Edited by David
  • Like 1