New school year

Harwel

Well, another school year starts and another emotional drop off at vocational school is looming.  After such a lovely summer holidays spending time together, there always seems to be such a hole left when ds is dropped back at school.    

He is so excited to be going back and of course we are thrilled that he can follow his dreams.  With only 2 years left of upper school these long holidays will soon be a thing of the past.  

I wish all parents of vocational students (new and old) safe journeys and strong nerves for the ensuing days. My Tring-a-ling is returning today to be there to welcome new starters tomorrow.  Good luck all. 

• Like 6

Thank you, I am a newbie at this, I never imagined dd would be going off to school but it's happening.  I have so many worries for dd, will she be homesick, will she cope with the huge workload of A Levels plus dance etc.  I am also worrying about my 2 other dds at home and how much they will miss her.  Feel emotional today :(

• Like 7

Lemon girl I'm sure it will work out fine - your dd is 16 and she'll have made a logical decision to board.

When my dd started boarding last year I found the 1st 4 weeks tough but fine after. She is where she has been desperate to be. She was wanting to go back in the 2nd weekof the holidays! ! (Maybe I'm very mean 😂😂😂😂)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lemongirl said:

Thank you, I am a newbie at this, I never imagined dd would be going off to school but it's happening.  I have so many worries for dd, will she be homesick, will she cope with the huge workload of A Levels plus dance etc.  I am also worrying about my 2 other dds at home and how much they will miss her.  Feel emotional today :(

It is a very tough time for us mums, but I think they cope better than us.  When ds first went my younger son used to go and sleep in his brothers room.  They do have a huge workload but they manage very well and need their exeat weekends and holidays for sleep and eating!  

The kids that got dropped off today were all so excited to be back and seeing their friends, it really is a second family. I'm sure your dd will settle and soon find her feet. For us mums there is always chocolate and gin!!! 

• Like 2

I'm finding it really difficult and I'm dreading Tuesday 😥

At the moment I'm very busy packing both children (as we just came back from holiday) but I can't imagine how will I cope with no children at home. 

Just wanted to add that I wish everyone safe journey and a fantastic, injury free term. Hope all the children settle well.

Edited by Happymum
To add something
  • Like 3

Well, we've done the drop off!

Dd has her own room, small but cosy and plenty of storage.   I helped her unpack and then parents were invited to stay for lunch.  Afterwards dd wasn't keen on us going but I thought it would be worse if we hung around.  Lots of new Year 12 girls who are also boarding for the first time.  I'm sure they'll make friends with each other soon but today was a bit strange for dd.  She phoned this evening, other than supper and a meeting for boarders, today was generally a free day so dh and I encouraged her to go to the common room to find people to chat to.  She's tired after an early start so will probably shower soon and have an early night.  Induction day tomorrow and first proper day on Tuesday.

It already feels so strange at home without her.   I just want her to settle in quickly so I can relax a bit!

• Like 8

Even when its all they have ever wanted to do its tough isn't it ? (for the parents). Dd was quite happy to be left provided that I made the following promises: that I will water her cactus garden, that I will not allow her older sister to use her wardrobe as additional storage space and that I will meet her en route at half term. Hope everyone is feeling OK this morning. Off to work to keep my mind busy.

As my DD drives, she took herself back to school yesterday which I have mixed feelings about. She's in different accommodation this year and I don't like not knowing what it's like! A weekend visit may be in order, but my other children have such busy weekends that that is easier said than done.

I got the first "Mum, I've forgotten my....." message last night, and I've just found a solitary pointe shoe on her bedroom floor. Hopefully it's a dead one!

• Like 4