RBS National Skirt desperate plea

dizzyalice

Can anyone help? I'm getting desperate. The lady who I asked to make my daughter's skirt is now unable to and I'm stuck. I can't find anyone locally and have tried phoning the recommended service however the lovely chap says the worst case scenario is 3 weeks to make the skirt and my daughter starts on the 9th Sept. Does anyone please please have a skirt for sale? My DD is 8, and 21"-ish waist. Even if someone has one they could kindly and trustingly lend me until I can get one made and I will then send it back.

58 minutes ago, dizzyalice said:

Can anyone help? I'm getting desperate. The lady who I asked to make my daughter's skirt is now unable to and I'm stuck. I can't find anyone locally and have tried phoning the recommended service however the lovely chap says the worst case scenario is 3 weeks to make the skirt and my daughter starts on the 9th Sept. Does anyone please please have a skirt for sale? My DD is 8, and 21"-ish waist. Even if someone has one they could kindly and trustingly lend me until I can get one made and I will then send it back.

Where are you? Our costume maker might be able to help

Thank you dancertaxi, I'm in Plymouth. I'm trying one more place locally today but if your costume maker is able to help, that would be amazing. I'm just worried about the timeframe.

Thank you Dancing unicorn, I was going to contact RBS to see what they say. I'm sure they wouldn't mind, I just didn't want her to be the only one not fully prepared for the first day.

• Like 2

Yes it is odd Pictures - they want them in a royal blue colour which matches the hair ribbon/belt colour. If you can sew basic patterns it's ok as they give instructions but expensive if not... And it adds a lot of stress to the scenario.

Maybe they don't need enough to be able to get them made? Personally I think a standard black character skirt with the blue ribbon would've been fine and that fabric creases less than the blue fabric they supply...

Have just realised my rant may be out of date as it's 6 years since dd started at JAs. Eeek!!

Anyway skirts aside enjoy it everyone!

• Like 1

Rant still in date sarahw 😂

But totally agree the blue skirt does look beautiful against the white leotard and it does feel special.  I paid for the shop to make mine save sourcing my own dressmaker (as absolutely no sewing skills myself!) and it has last her her whole time at JAs so the price per wear was not too extortionate in the end x 

• Like 2

They could still be beautiful & ready-made!!!

When dd started Hammond their royal blue Adagio leotard was a bespoke colour not sold elsewhere though the design was a leotard the supplier sold in other colours (that may have changed now)

considering said leotard was only worn by girls in years 7-9 (& much hated by them all) they still managed to get them made. 

There must be far far more JA girls for these skirts. 

I realise its nothing to do with me but I'm always against things/rules that may put people off applying when high level training should be more accessible. 

• Like 3

On 31/08/2017 at 07:27, dizzyalice said:

Thank you dancertaxi, I'm in Plymouth. I'm trying one more place locally today but if your costume maker is able to help, that would be amazing. I'm just worried about the timeframe.

Thank you Dancing unicorn, I was going to contact RBS to see what they say. I'm sure they wouldn't mind, I just didn't want her to be the only one not fully prepared for the first day.

The Totnes JA teacher is lovely and will not mind I'm sure. Good luck to your Dd, mine loved her time at Dartington 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amid great hair-pulling ( and maybe even a few choice words) I put my school sewing lessons to use and made dd's skirt all those years ago. I found the instructions fairly straightforward but I wanted it to be perfect, I wish I'd thought to go to a dressmaker! 

Anyway, in the nick of ime, it was done, and it seemed to me to be a reasonable job. I was quite cock-a-hoop. Imagine my disappointment when they didn't wear them for the entire first term! In fact, by the time they did eventually wear them, I had to let the hem down. I'm led to believe that particular teacher still doesn't require them in the first term, Of course I'd probably still want it done, just in case 😂

Edited by along for the ride mum
  • Like 3