Hair products that work but don't irritate the scalp?

JanJas

Ballet bun advice needed please! My daughter has a problem with little red spots that appear on and within her hair line at the temples. (They lessen considerably after about a week of no ballet bun - which is very rare these days!) I'm sure this is because of pulling the hair back tightly, possibly scraping with the comb and then applying gel on top...and then possibly not washing it all off properly afterwards!! However she is about to start vocational school and obviously will have to have her hair up in a bun each day - she is not one to casually put her hair up - it has to be "perfect", as I'm sure many of you will understand! The school she's about to attend does not allow hair spray so gel seems to be the only option. Any advice would be really appreciated - her hair is straight and strong with lots of wispy bits round the front - has anyone found a gel that does the trick, but doesn't aggravate the problem? Or any techniques? Particular brushes/combs? Or just re-assurance that she's not the only one who is OCD with her hair! I have of course explained all the above to DD but she always wants to look her best so telling her not to use gel/product at all sends her into a massive panic! 

I sent my DD off to vocational school last year with the gel spray as not allowed spreay only to find she doesn't use it unless they are doing a show or something.  She just wets her hair down when she puts it into a high pony tail every morning but used two hairbands on it and then just does the hairpins and bun net before ballet classe.  So I'd suggest sending you DD with gel spray anyway and maybe also practice putting it in a ponytail when dampened a little.

Yes dd uses the VO5 pink bottle also.

I think being OCD with hair is a common trait in dds if it makes you feel any better!

My dd prefers to only wash hair once or twice a week as the hair is then stickier naturally and I think she uses less spray than she did b4 going to voc school. Over washing can cause irritation. 

Try not to worry too much - they learn quickly and I bet your dd will have it under control pretty soon.

Thank you all so much, really helpful - DD has just read your responses - VO5 pink bottle it is then! Yes -  hoping that some of the OCD stuff calms down when she sees her friends coping in different ways! It's little things you don't really think about till it's all a reality - better go and teach her how to cut her nails now! LOL! xx

Are you sure it's her hair stuff? My DD gets those spots  admittedly,  more on her forehead and my beautician thinks it's wearing make up and dancing that's causing sweat spots. She advised a mineral make up. Good luck for school!!

I use a really soft wax -  Palmer's Soft Formula shaping wax. It's much softer on the hair than gel or spray and smells delicious. It's hard to find though. I get it on line or sometimes in cosmetics shops aimed at black British people. Palmers (of The Cocoa Butter body cream) do a much stiffer wax for very curly hair. 

I have waist length hair, dead straight but with wispy bits, blonde and a lot of it. Palmers wax keeps my hair in place and makes the ends of my hair soft and the rest of my hair shiny. It holds really well, too. And I'm sure on a desert island, it'd be a great hand cream too!

My my ballet teacher told me she used to use Nivea to slick back and hold hair without damaging it! 

thanks Hoglett...I did wonder if it was the bacteria in sweat that caused it....she does seem to sweat in her hair, rather than on her face....

Kate_N...interesting...I'll have a search for the Palmer's product - never thought of Nivea either!! It might have to be something like this if the VO5 pink gel doesn't clear up the spots - need to sort the problem before it become a big issue, or the spots spred to her face etc. xx

I actually asked a hairdresser about what to use on DD's wispy bits and she recommended a leave-in moisturising conditioner. I have to say that DD doesn't like the gelled/sprayed 'skinned rabbit' look so saves it for exams and performing. The conditioner seems to work for class, but is gentle.

The little red spots could be foliculitis (inflammation of the follicles which can become infected if products and sweat remain on the head). 

The hair follicles can become irritated due to the hair being continually pulled tight. Trying different styles (a sweep over sideways at the front or a cane row) can help lessen the stress on the follicles while the irritation goes down. The pharmacist can also recommend medicated shampoo. 

I agree about being careful about pulling hair too tight. Like most long-haired people, I expect I'm not alone in wanting my hair to feel secure. Before I did my own hair, my mother plaited it etc and I'm sure I drove her mad with my "Tighter" commands :o   But I know my scalp feels quite sore if I've had my hair pulled up & tightly pulled up for even a day. And over-tight pulling back of hair can lead to hair loos through the pulling action. Maybe your DD should experiment with trying slightly looser or softer styles, which still feel secure, as Cara suggests.