2 years between exams???

Babyballerina

Due to schools merging, DD ended up doing RAD Grade 3 just as she turned 11. She was coasting, in with 9-yr-olds, and getting a bit complacent. She was moved up to Int Foundation the next year as there wasn't a Grade 5 class, and had some catch-up coaching in her private lessons. She worked hard and got Distinction in the IF exam after 7 months, so blossomed that year – although she certainly had some gaps in her technique. Talented and motivated kids are often moved up and skip a grade (or two), and it's particularly important for starting pointe work that they aren't too far behind kids in their school year (in Associates programmes, for example). There's nothing worse than having to pick up pointe work in a hurry!

2 hours ago, Legseleven said:

I couldn't agree more, Cara. DD skipped a grade and went from grade 4 to IF and thrived on it. The problem for Babyballerina's DD seems to be that she is being told that she can never go at her own pace but must stay with her peers. 

Yes, I see that. What I was getting at was that she needs to be starting pointe at her home dance school to be at roughly the same level as her Associate peers. DD has a friend who had to be fast-tracked onto pointe over the summer after getting into our Scholars programme for Year 8 (age 12) but had only done Grade 5, and all the others at her level were a year ahead of her and had already had a year en pointe. So to avoid that scenario I would recommend moving her. I don't believe exams are important, but that stage really is!

Absolutely agree with you again, Cara. Maybe the issue would never have been an issue if Babyballerina's DD wasn't on the RBS and Elmhurst associate schemes - and she wouldn't be on those associate schemes if she wasn't very talented and in need of dancing with similarly able children as well as with her peer group at her own dance school. I'm surprised in a way that a school which insists that everyone must stay with their peer group and take exams only when the rest of the group is also ready would support one of its students in applying to these extremely prestigious associate schemes, which have shown her at what level she could and should be working. And, unfortunately, are causing her to lose confidence as she is realising how far behind she is in training. 

I think a new 'home' dance studio is needed if your DD's teacher remains of her view, Babyballerina. I hope that her associate teachers can recommend somewhere, especially as they themselves have pointed out that there is a problem with your DD's current situation affecting her adversely. Wishing you and your DD lots of luck!

• Like 1

Certainly getting to IF standard and mastering the syllabus by age 11 or 12 is a very helpful bench mark. However there is (at least in the exam board that my dd took) very little pointe-work at IF and what there is can be picked up in about 6 weeks or so. My dd worked on demi-pointe until just before her exam due to not being quite ready for pointe work and it was fine. 5 years later you honestly can't tell who went on pointe first but it has proved to be essential to keep the rate of progression through the grades going. The vocational grades tend to take longer to master so best to leave a decent amount of time for them. Such a shame when schools are dogmatic and insist that everyone is treated the same.

A school that has classes for RAD Adanced 1 and 2 or equivalent is what we looked for, a goal dd wanted to strive towards.  Although everyone is different and may have a totally different goal.

We were recommended Centre Pointe, where she is now and extremely happy!  I know it's to far for you, also Kate Simmons and Northern Ballet Associates for y7 plus by various people whose opinions we really respected.

• Like 1