Present for new boarding dd

Lemongirl

Well, dd is off to Sixth Form boarding after a long hard decision making progress.

I'd like some ideas for a present for a 16 year old dancer who is boarding for the first time.  I thought maybe one of those foot spa things and a huge cuddly toy for her room.  Any ideas please?

I've just made 5 boxes for my students leaving in September. The box is covered in photos of their time dancing and inside there is: 

- super noodles

- chewing gum 

- hairspray and bun pins for the girls 

- lynx and shower gel for the boys

- first aid kit

- mini sewing kit

- mini dry shampoo

- make up remover

- hot chocolate sachets

- little cork bottle with sparkles in and origami stars 

I know they are also receiving a jar filled with little notes to cheer them up if they get a little homesick

• Like 1

Agree with caveat about space available. Also depends how you are transporting your stuff, especially if it involves either a plane or public transport. We found some very pretty pop up storage bins in colourful designs (fold flat and weigh little) in a well known high street discounter and from the same place a towel that wraps round with shoulder straps and doubles as a bath robe. Also a (very) small rug in case the floor is cold, a hot water bottle, lots of fluffy socks and a decent travel mirror in case there isn't one in the room.

Battery run fairy lights 

If you know she is getting a wardrobe then maybe a hanging shelf that velcros on to the hanging rail, then it's one shelf for leotards, one for tights, one for dance underwear, one for warmups and then in the morning it's just grab and go 

needlebox - with all she needs in a clip box 

white tac

2 hours ago, Bluebird22 said:

I've just made 5 boxes for my students leaving in September. The box is covered in photos of their time dancing and inside there is: 

- super noodles

- chewing gum 

- hairspray and bun pins for the girls 

- lynx and shower gel for the boys

- first aid kit

- mini sewing kit

- mini dry shampoo

- make up remover

- hot chocolate sachets

- little cork bottle with sparkles in and origami stars 

I know they are also receiving a jar filled with little notes to cheer them up if they get a little homesick

Have you checked that whichever schools/colleges they are going to allows Hairspray. Dd's strictly doesn't & following a 2am false fire alarm due to spray deodorant at Tring Summer School I know they don't either?

lovely idea though. 

Yes I did check that as I know loads of places don't. But its mainly private landlords or shared flats, so pretty safe. 

I love the almond range from loccitane, I had a shower gel in my monthly beauty box - also a fab idea as it's something to look forward to every month 

Bluebird ... what a lovely, considerate, thing to do for your students. 

Some things I bought for dd in upper school, though not going away presents ... warm up booties, foot roller, foam roller, and one of the favourite things was a nutri-bullet.

I bought my DD a mutli picture frame filled with family pics to hang on the wall, along with a fluffy throw for her bed. It's amazing the amount of times the throw was dragged down to the tv lounge to curl up in a chair/sofa, or just curled up on the bed whilst reading. Especially in the winter months, oh and a wheat germ bag like a teddy bear or similar that could be heated up in the microwave for those colder nights and achy muscles. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

A memory foam topper. Boarding school mattresses are awful 😁

and take your own pillow. school ones usually made out of concrete.

Thank you all, some really great ideas.

I hadn't thought about the foot spa softening the feet, maybe I'll give that a miss.

Photo frame with family pics is a lovely idea, now will I be able to organise that with a week to go?? :huh:

Fluffy throw is a good idea too.

• Like 3

They usually have very little space so practical gifts as mentioned above are great. Photo frames are lovely and personal  but check they can hammer in walls or have adequate space to use stands.

I would get her less rather than more and use the money to send goodie parcels over the term instead once you've seen the space she has.

2 non sexy practical gifts are a clip on lamp for bunk or cabin beds and a divided cleaning trug which the girls use to transport toiletries. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lemongirl said:

I've been looking for a multi photo frame but they're all so big!  Any suggestions for a nice frame that holds quite a few photos but isn't huge?

We go on Photobox and make a poster of different photos from the past year and put it in a plastic clip frame. Light and easy to put on the wall and renew x

• Like 2

One valuable piece of advice we had from school was not to phone too much initially and not to take them home for the (non exeat) weekends early on. Another was if you're having an upsetting /negative phone call was to try and end it fairly quickly and then phone the staff 30 mins later because you'll probably find they're having fun with friends by then.

I think it's harder on the patents than the kids. Good luck!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lemongirl said:

Getting a bit nervous now!  We are driving dd up tomorrow morning.  Any tips for helping her with the initial few weeks and what to do if she's homesick??  This is all so new to me.

Head of boarding responds quickly to emails  :-)

DD has a piece of string on her bedroom wall that was for hanging Xmas cards and has silver metallic mini pegs on it that she uses to clip photos/favourite scrunchies etc to it. She will be taking this to pin around her pinboard by her bed. Also her younger sister has put together a going away box containing a mirror, academic diary, battery operated fairy lights, pens, sweets, photos, Bluetooth speaker for listening to music with friends. Some books, ballet bookmark. She currently has her eye on my peppermint foot soak/spray - I think I might lose them !!

We don't leave until Tues, dd first time awa at boarding school but think she will be ok , she is very excited. I think I will be the one with the hanky!!

• Like 3

I made an emergency box when my daughter went away (many years ago). It consisted of a toilet roll, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, small amount of cash, sainsburys gift card and some treats. She also took a screw driver for tightening/loosening the taps on her tap shoes. Not very exciting but all came in handy at some point during her time away.  I wish everyone going away the very best of luck for the future.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mumofballetmaddaughter said:

I made an emergency box when my daughter went away (many years ago). It consisted of a toilet roll, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, small amount of cash, sainsburys gift card and some treats. She also took a screw driver for tightening/loosening the taps on her tap shoes. Not very exciting but all came in handy at some point during her time away.  I wish everyone going away the very best of luck for the future.

Good idea, I also incl some stamps (not that teenagers know what to do with them! lol) envelopes etc and a small first aid box. incl girlie medication for those rather more challenging times.........

• Like 1