How to fly with a hooped tutu???

Littlebear

Have to laugh Little Bear when I first saw your post I was visualising ...or trying to ..that you needed to do some sort of flying stunt on the stage!! Then it dawned ...you mean taking it on a plane!!

I will ask around for you as I've never flown with one but I know a few people who have!!

• Like 5

My friend posted one to me the same principal may apply with taking the tutu on a flight. The tutu was covered in a sheet then sandwiched between two large circles of card and taped down, making the biggest frisbee the postman had seen. Obviously covered with "Fragile" stickers all over it. Take it to the checkin desk. Try to bluff your way to take to the steps like a childs buggy etc or if not it will have to go in hold luggage.  Depending on the airline, some can be very accommodating other budget airlines might not be helpful.

Would it be easier to post to your destination? 

It would be good to know the actual answer that worked. Good Luck 

• Like 1

We flew with a pancake tutu, I folded it in on itself like a taco and tucked the sides in and put it in a hard cases suitcase. 

It wasn't hooped but you could take the hoop out to fold it and thread it back in when you get there. 

Tutu survived very nicely, I just got it out as soon as we arrived at the hotel and key in 'sit' fir a few days.

Edited by Loulabelle
  • Like 2

When dd flew with her pancake tutu, she too folded it in on itself and packed it in a waterproof bag in her main suitcase, well buried amongst her clothes, though it didn't have a hoop. It travelled fine and sprung back into shape as soon as it was unpacked. She also took a plain white pillowcase so that she could lightly press it at the other end if needed, but it was fine. I insisted it went in a sturdy waterproof bag as I have experienced liquid leaks into my suitcases before when travelling on holiday, which have soaked through the case and ruined stuff!

I've never flown with a tutu but have bought several from abroad and been amazed what small boxes they are posted in. First time I was sure the manufacturer must have sent the wrong thing as I couldn't believe a hooped tutu could fit in such a small package. But it did, and it sprang into shape with no problem. I would imagine that if they can survive being squashed into a box for a postal journey taking several days, you could fold one into a suitcase for a flight and reasonably expect it to be OK after hanging up for a while.

• Like 2

When we flew with dd's which was hooped we folded it gently in half then half again like a taco taking care not to press down so as not to damage the hoop. We then put it inside a plastic bag.. like the size you get for a pedal bin & then inside a bag & just brought it onto the plane as carry on luggage. I was worried about damaging the hoop too but the tutu maker reassured me that the hoop is more resilient than we imagine it to be 

• Like 3

A Google search on 'travelling with a tutu' is giving some interesting results.  I have no experience flying with a tutu but I did once try to take a pop-up tent as hand luggage. The measurements were fine but the lady at Check-in said that the collapsible wire hoop might be seen as a dangerous long metal object and prohibited in hand luggage... so I was asked to check it in the hold at no extra charge.  Different airlines have different policies and prices for unusually shaped baggage. Some offer cheaper rates if it is a sports item - not sure if that would apply here. 

Edited by Yaffa
for clarity
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Yaffa said:

A Google search on 'travelling with a tutu' is giving some interesting results.  I have no experience flying with a tutu but I did once try to take a pop-up tent as hand luggage. The measurements were fine but the lady at Check-in said that the collapsible wire hoop might be seen as a dangerous long metal object and prohibited in hand luggage... so I was asked to check it in the hold at no extra charge.  Different airlines have different policies and prices for unusually shaped baggage. Some offer cheaper rates if it is a sports item - not sure if that would apply here. 

That was one thing I worried about so definitely best to call the airport & the airline to check. The flight we were on was within the UK on easyJet. Admittedly I didn't call ahead as I just didn't think until I was in the queue for security but would definitely call ahead next time to be sure. Our measurements were slightly bigger but again I tucked it gently under my arm & kept my fingers crossed. I did however book a seat with extra legroom & put it at my feet rather than risk it being bashed about with other peoples luggage in the overhead lockers. It wasn't the most comfortable flight but was only a short one & the tutu was in pristine condition when we opened it up 

• Like 1

I think if a tutu can be folded, it’s probably not wire but a plastic like tape as used in ball gowns and wedding dresses as stiffeners. If so they can tolerate a quite shape bend radius and totally recover, if it completely abrupt then a small kink is likely to appear.

Personally I don’t have any hooped tutu’s, although I have quite a few classical pancake tutu’s. For both storage and travel I used to use freeby Sansha bags and later Sports Direct bags and simply turn the tutu base inside out , so the bodies resides inside the tutu and push it into the bag, narrow bit first, if that makes sense.

LinMM has probably forgotten, but we both flew out to Saint Petersburg last November, I had my White Swan Tutu in my hold baggage, no problems at all either end. The only embarrassment I had, I was travelling in a long evening dress, hitch up with a belt and under a coat so as not to show, this was because we were going to the Mariinsky Theatre and there was no time to change at the hotel as timing was very tight. The Lady Security officer at Heathrow just gave me a big smile as she did the search.

What LinnMM will remember is the miles we walked through Saint Petersburg trying to find me a suitable Russian headdress for the Swan Lake Russian Dance , which that tutu goes with.

• Like 1

When an airline's luggage policy isn't clear, I usually try to email them and get something in writing, rather than just calling their helpline and speaking to whoever happens to be on duty. When you're at the check-in desk, you're really at the mercy of the staff there, regardless of what Sarah from their helpline told you over the phone the week before.

• 4 years later...

Help! I am in dire need of some advice, or someone sharing their experience. I will be attending a ballet competition in a month, and for the first time I need to fly to get there. I have two professionally made platter tutus with hoops, and have heard conflicting things about how to fly with them. 
Check them in a box? Fold them into a taco? Use a tutu hanger And put them in the closet? Please, tell me what works!!!

• Like 1

We replaced the standard hoop with a removeable one. That would then swirl up in the suitcase, allowing the tutu to become somewhat less rigid to pack!  I must add I got a seamstress to replace the hoop 😊.  The only pain would then be putting it back through the loops in the tutu and taping it securely.

• Like 1

So when I've had to travel internationally to perform (still feels weird saying that!) I have a hard suitcase I use just for my costumes including 2-3 hooped tutu's, I personally don't trust the airlines as I believe it's up to the pilot on the day and they're huge!

What you may not realise is that they can be safely folded, fold them like a taco then into a 1/4 loosely in the case, when you get to the destination take them out and let them recover.

If I get chance later I'll take some pics to demonstrate.

• Like 3

Ok here you go, Take the tutu,
image0.jpeg.0627c45df358c9f8a418c78b45e46ffd.jpeg

Fold it in half, you'll probably be amazed how willing it is, in on its self to protect the bodice / decoration.

image1.jpeg.3f0f7c69f088264b3013f22f0e8c68ba.jpeg

Then again, 

image2.jpeg.1426a729e87ff5f4d41a941aac39a15b.jpeg

If you've got a big suitcase (like the max size you're allowed) one half is more than enough for 2 and sometimes 3 hooped tutu's, me romantic tutu's go in the other half, I've flown like this 4 times, 3 of those were 23 hour journeys.

Hope this helps @Julia Cornette

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, sophie_rebecca said:

So when I've had to travel internationally to perform (still feels weird saying that!)

Sounds very impressive, too :) 

BTW, was I the only one who, on originally reading the title, thought, "Wow, we're getting technical here.  Aerial work in a tutu?"

• Like 8

6 hours ago, alison said:

BTW, was I the only one who, on originally reading the title, thought, "Wow, we're getting technical here.  Aerial work in a tutu?"

No, I thought that too. I had visions of the Wilis flying or something like that!

• Like 1

On 05/01/2022 at 15:21, sophie_rebecca said:

So when I've had to travel internationally to perform (still feels weird saying that!) I have a hard suitcase I use just for my costumes including 2-3 hooped tutu's, I personally don't trust the airlines as I believe it's up to the pilot on the day and they're huge!

What you may not realise is that they can be safely folded, fold them like a taco then into a 1/4 loosely in the case, when you get to the destination take them out and let them recover.

If I get chance later I'll take some pics to demonstrate.

I had never thought to fold a hoop! I just tried with mine and whilst I can't get it into quarters, it'll happily go into a taco, which makes future transport so much easier! Thank you!!

• Like 1