UK ballet summer schools for 2018

leotardmum

Iam over in Australia but wonder if a website/list/topic already on here  exists of all summer schools offered in dance in the uk.....

looking at UK summer 2018 for a 11 year old dance crazy girl

So far iam aware of

RBS

Elmhurst

Yorkshire ballet summer school

do others exist which are RAD ballet focused?

any tips wrt numbers applying for these would be very helpful

thanku x

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan McNulty changed the title to UK ballet summer schools for 2018

Masters of Ballet is another one definitely worth looking at. My dd is 11 & recently done a week at it. I was very impressed at how much she progressed in the week & she is keen to do the 2 weeks at it next year. 

• Like 3

Ballet West, Scotland.

West of Glasgow International Airport heading towards Oban. 

Residential, beautiful, caring, safe  and secure environment. 

Just make sure you google Ballet West UK as there is another school of similar name in America!

The only issue with Scotland is that the SS are run earlier than those in England as their school summer holidays are earlier and they return to academic school in August. Not sure if the dates would be compatible with Australia term dates. There are always 4 weeks to select. First come first come basis and for as many weeks out of the 4 you wish. :)

thanku!

would love to come across and see family, we are from Newcastle and been here for 3.5 years now,  but be perfect to tie in a summer school aswell

does anyone know the stats for RBS summer school ie how many apply and how many places there are ???

this is her dream but I suspect thousands apply for a tiny number of places ......

dance here in Australia is massive I feel compared to the north east of uk

x

many thanks for those numbers- a reality check ! lol

so almost 5 applicants for every place ......wow .......

and just selected on a few photos......do people send letters / recommendation letters or just the form and the photos?

I know they are looking for 'facility' / body type  aswell as natural ability  but I suppose no harm in trying !

x

I think the 5 applicants per place may suggest better odds than you actually have because some summer school places are taken by current full time RB students who are encouraged to do the summer school as well. Selection is based on info in the application form as well as the photos - e.g. how much training you currently do and at what level. A high proportion of places seem to go to students at good overseas vocational schools.

I have a friend who went to RBS summer school this year and she was one of only a couple of non-vocational students in her group... And she does a good Associates programme and at least 3 hours of ballet every night! There were some from POB school, RBS, Elmhurst, various American schools and private studios.... List goes on! 

• 1 month later...

Hi Leotardmum,

I am not sure if it would be of interest, but RAD runs summer programs. In the past, their brochure became available mid-December and booking opened in January - no auditions, but limited spots.

Also, if I may digress, do you have any recommendations for dance intensives in the Sydney area in July or August?  Or do they typically take place in your summer months

On 16/08/2017 at 07:50, dancingboy65 said:

DS did Northern Ballet in Leeds summer school. Hard work but very enjoyable and he said he learnt a lot. If you're outside the UK audition is by DVD/YouTube etc. He loved it, and was talking about doing it next year on the train back home!

Presumably it's based in the Quarry Hill building ? Which is absolutely fab as one would expect for recent purpose built home for Dance company (s) etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dancingboy65 said:

Yes it is.

that building has wow factor ... 

did they get to dance i nthe  Stanley +Audrey Barton  theatre in a studio configuration  ( supposedly one of he biggest sprung floors in Europe)  ? or just have to slum it in the 15 m * 15 m  normal studios ?

1 hour ago, dancingboy65 said:

No danced in the theatre, which is fabulous.

the theatre   ( on the ground floor)  can convert into a 30 * 15  m studio space if  they push the stage 'in' and  push the teired seating  back  into the wall (  it all folds down and then pushes in like bleachers  ) 

it';s used in that format for  NB's Company Classes  and also  for  Company  class and other full course   bits  when The Ballet Retreat  ' takes over'  for it;s ' intensives for grown ups ' 

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 15:35, BlueLou said:

I think the 5 applicants per place may suggest better odds than you actually have because some summer school places are taken by current full time RB students who are encouraged to do the summer school as well. Selection is based on info in the application form as well as the photos - e.g. how much training you currently do and at what level. A high proportion of places seem to go to students at good overseas vocational schools.

I agree.

DD did RBS upper summer school this year and thought the UK students mostly fell into two groups: already at RBS US or (like my DD) got a place from the waiting list as a "filler" more or less at the last minute- in her case without accommodation. She also noticed many of the overseas students seem to be offered four weeks- so the two summer schools back to back which obviously further worsens the odds. It was a great summer school. DD loved it

• Like 2

There definitely are more British students at RBS Upper School now that there are 4 weeks.This time when my DD went there were about 10, non RBS students, in 2015 there were 3. There were 3 from DDs school and not off the waiting list.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, celb said:

There definitely are more British students at RBS Upper School now that there are 4 weeks.This time when my DD went there were about 10, non RBS students, in 2015 there were 3. There were 3 from DDs school and not off the waiting list.

Well done to them to get in, and not from the waiting list. Our DD was definitely in the "filling up the numbers" cohort in weeks 3 and 4! She was not ever made to feel at all awkward though. In the final show, one of the oldest groups did a modern piece with a corps and various solos. I felt a little sorry for those who did not get a solo in the piece and were only in the corps as the sum total of their role was pretty much to stand still on stage for about 20 mins. DD was happy not to be in the older group. 

• Like 1

Things may have changed now that RBS summer school is longer, and I understand that their year-round students are expected/encouraged(?) to attend.  Do they give a list to current students of which summer schools are acceptable, or is it just up to the student to request permission for the one they are applying to?  Most Vocational schools have it in their terms and conditions that students must ask for permission for any outside activity.  

DS had to ask permission to attend any holiday course other than RBS, many went to Yorkshire Ballet Seminars.

We simply couldn't afford it so I quietly opened and ran a local summer school with the help of a dear friend. After all the powers that be could hardly moan about ds having to come to work with me...

• Like 8

Hi There

Please look at our International Principal Weeks 2018 Summer Schools. They are very personal as we only have 12 guests on each week. All inclusive inclusive, accommodation, all food and drinks included. Plus we go to a West End show and return in a Limo, and go out on Location for a photo shoot.

On top of this, this years we have possible the best Summer School Line Up, all coming to teach for a full day.

Edward Watson MBE - Principal Roya Ballet Company. One of the greatest Male Dancer of our time ! (our opinion)

Ricardo Cervera - Ballet Master of the Royal Ballet Company

Hope Keelan - RBS

Anita Young - RBS

Sarah Lamb - Principal Royaa Ballet Company

Zenadia Yanowsky - Former Principal Rpyal Balley Company

Please email me at nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com for more details. Check out our FB pages and INstragram pages. Lots of pictures about what we do.

We are more then 50% sold out, so please let me know if you are interested. We are not the cheapest Summer School, but we think we offer incredible value for money.

Kind regards

Nic x

• Like 2

On 22 October 2017 at 23:23, celb said:

There were certainly RBS students at Amsterdam International Summer School 

Hi Celb

I wanted to offer some information to you to your above question.

We have a number of RBS students visit our international Summer Schools each year for the last 2 years. We have Hope Keelan and Anitia Young from RBS coming again in 2018 to teach our guests. RBS students do need approval I understand to visit us, but so fair this has not been a problem.

If you require more information about our International Summer Schools 2018 - Principal Weeks, please email me nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Nic x

Nicola Moriarty - I was responding to southern dancemom s query over approved summer schools for RBS students. I am not looking for summer school info - though my DD enjoyed being taught by Anita Young in the past

On 24/10/2017 at 09:38, Nicola Moriarty said:

Hi Celb

I wanted to offer some information to you to your above question.

We have a number of RBS students visit our international Summer Schools each year for the last 2 years. We have Hope Keelan and Anitia Young from RBS coming again in 2018 to teach our guests. RBS students do need approval I understand to visit us, but so fair this has not been a problem.

If you require more information about our International Summer Schools 2018 - Principal Weeks, please email me nicola@woodsidedanceretreat.com.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Nic x

• 2 months later...