Girl from the North Country

BMC

Just wanted to give this Old Vic production a huge thumbs up. Always worry about lots of 5 star reviews as they often seem to lead to a slight feeling of anti climax, but Conor McPherson has produced something really moving and it's wonderful the way the Bob Dylan songs are woven into the action and the characters. Most of the performers have their 'moment' and they all have absolutely fantastic voices (as well as other musical talents). Set in Minnesota in the Depression, it's really moving - tears and sniffles at the end, and a second visit definitely required!

I think if I remember correctly from interviews before the show opened, Dylan had approached the playwright first and when he saw what Conor McPherson was proposing, gave him his full blessing. Hope that reassures his fans! Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I have to admit to being a bit if a Dylan ignoramus, so was just able to enjoy the show on its own merits. Do hope you like it - will be interested to see what you think of it as a Dylan fan.

21 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

Being a Dylan fan I intend seeing this production, glad you liked it. A lot of his fans don't particularly like other artists covering his songs, but I reckon it works well with a few.

The Byrds, Peter Paul and Mary, etc. etc. !

1 hour ago, Sim said:

The Byrds, Peter Paul and Mary, etc. etc. !

The etc etc includes....

Rod Stewart, Bryan Ferry, Joan Baez, Jimi Hendrix, (Hootie and the Blowfish lifting a verse from Idiot Wind), Adele, The Animals, Jackson Browne, Melanie, Joni Mitchell (who classed herself as an anti-fan!), Elvis, Sheryl Crow, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, Guns'n'Roses, Manfred Mann, Sandy Denny (and Fairport Convention), Billy Joel, Hollies, Pearl Jam, Joe Cocker, Glen Campbell, Tom Petty, Pete Seeger, Nina Simone, Neil Young, The Four Seasons, Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, The White Stripes, Emmylou Harris, and even The Beatles, have all covered at least one, often many, of Dylan's songs. Well, more especially the 60s/70s ones

I often still prefer the original though!  :-) B)

• Like 1

After reading this review https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/jul/27/girl-from-the-north-country-review-bob-dylan-conor-mcpherson I looked at the Old Vics website to buy a £21 ticket .  As ever left it for a day or two, and received an offer email from Timeout selling tickets for £15 - tickets allocated on arrival.   I went to the Saturday matinee a couple of weeks ago and was allocated a £67.50 seat, row T in the stalls.   Old Vic is quite small so sitting anywhere would be OK.   It was a great performance - I must say the singers had outstanding voices - the woman who plays the mother with dementia was particularly surprising based on her tiny statue and the woman who played the pregnant girl was really touching.   As someone suggests on here I might have to attend again.  You can sign up to get newsletter emails from Timeout if your inbox can bear it. 

Edited by KathyE8
spelling mistake and clarity