Cecchetti and RAD??

MrsMoo2

Hi guys,

Met up with an old friend this week who I danced with back in the 90's. Long story short, she's offered to do some free 1-1's with DS. Only prob is we were trained in ceccheti ballet many moons ago and DS is taking classes for RAD exams.

Would it have a negative impact on his style? At the minute, I'm thinking, he's just 10 and any extra ballet has to be good, right??

The only other consideration is if it will be ok with his teacher. 

Tempted with the cost of these things to say yes, but don't want to get anyone's back up! ? 

What would you do??? 

Ballet is ballet is ballet. Both RAD and Cecchetti are fine syllabi, they teach & name some things differently, but at 10, that might be an interesting challenge for a child, and also show them that there's more to ballet than one syllabus. For me (I studied both a bit, but get seen as a Cecchetti dancer) Cecchetti is a bit "dancier" but RAD has such lovely simplicity. But if your friend is a good teacher, she can explain that across the ballet world, some things are done differently by different people. But good ballet is good ballet.

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to Cecchetti and RAD??

I would think he will be fine. I think that absolute beginners are better off sticking with one style of ballet and probably one teacher for a little while, but once a student is a bit more experienced, being taught be different people and trying different things can be hugely beneficial. I recall my DD coming back from a summer school when she was 11 or 12 with a problem she had had for ages completely fixed simply because one teacher there had explained things in a different way and it had suddenly clicked for her.

Give it a try - if things don't work out you can always stop but he will probably love it.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, he's just wanting more and more ballet at the minute, but this seems like a good way of him getting some other perspectives and some special boy time. (He's the only boy in his RAD class) without breaking the bank!

Said to me the other day, if there are any more associate auditions this year, "I'll do them, I'll do then all!!"

Booked him into a few workshops on 21st but he's really missing it at the minute...??

Nice to see him enthusiastic...xxx

• Like 3

In my experience, it's always a good idea to be honest with your current teacher - I always 'request permission' for my daughter to have a lesson with someone else. It's never been refused so perhaps we're lucky, but still .... it would open up interesting discussion if her teacher ever did say she wasn't happy with the idea.