Very disappointing that after the last night's performance the audience were not given any chance to say good-bye to outgoing Artistic Director and his associates - ENB board could surely have arranged for some flowers at least to be presented onstage to Mesdemoiselles Gielgud & Whitten though W E might have preferred a bottle of good red wine, some tobacco and golf balls - but despite hearing jollity on stage at the end of the last interval, the curtain came down very quickly and finally after the usual calls - how unlike the public departure of Dame Monica recently up the road (so I'm told) ??!

• Like 1

Very disappointing that after the last night's performance the audience were not given any chance to say good-bye to outgoing Artistic Director and his associates (snip) - but despite hearing jollity on stage at the end of the last interval, the curtain came down very quickly and finally after the usual calls - how unlike the public departure of Dame Monica recently up the road (so I'm told) ??!

Dame Monica's was of course a retirement after 50+ years with the company, not simply a departure - as both those I've attended (hers and Dowell's) have been. In fact, I don't know what the RB would do about an artistic director simply leaving - we didn't get the chance to find out with Ross Stretton - but I don't imagine there'd be a vast amount of fanfare. Plus, to be frank, with ENB's audience, and particularly one for Swan Lake with the Olympics on, I imagine that well over 90% of them wouldn't know or even care whether Eagling was leaving, and I'm pretty sure you could bump that number up even further with regard to his artistic staff, no matter how good they are. I suspect the thing to do in such case would be to send a personal letter or card. We have to bear in mind that people on this forum are far, far more concerned with the minutiae of ballet and dance than the general public, and we can't expect them to share our feelings.

I do understand what you are saying but surely the unfamiliarity of the audience with ballet/theatre traditions is no excuse to treat these people shabbily - I think Janet got exactly the right word - we did manage to speak to Maina in one of the intervals and I have to say her response was "Well it is extremely nice of you to take the trouble to tell me" and by the way I agree most of the audience at both performances of Swan Lake I attended probably didn't even know who the conductor was and why this guy in a suit was being dragged on at the end!!

I thought the audience behaviour was irritating at the 3 performances I went to last week, people in front of me spoilt 2 of the 3 by continually sitting forward, moving about, fiddling with mobile phones , dashing to the toilet mid-performance, etc. Also not much applause, dancers had to hurry off (they got better at this as it went on), and the decision to have a pause only between acts 1 and 2 was a disaster too, they could have made an announcement.

It was a very special time though, travelling around London I couldn't stop smiling and was caught up in the carnival atmosphere, never experienced anything like it!

As to the ballet itself, I liked the production, costumes and scenery, but thought the lighting could have been stronger, at least I saw the 3 casts I booked for and really enjoyed them, it was a pleasure to see Anais Chalendard /Junor Souza and Begona Cao/Estaban Berlanga, but found myself appreciating the artistry and experience of Fernanda Oliveira and Dimitri Gruydzev most.

• Like 1

You may be interested to know that there was a company drinks party to say goodbye to Rosalyn Whitten and Maina Gielgud after the performance on Thursday night (probably that night because the company didn't have a matinee on Friday although a lot of the girls had a rehearsal for the closing ceremony of the Olympics). Surprisingly, no mention of Wayne was included in the notice about the party. There is a lovely photo on Facebook of Rosalyn surrounded by her swans, all wearing 'gold' medals which I believe were from her. It would have been lovely if we, the audience, had been able to bid farewell to them as a group but I agree with Alison that personal letters and cards are probably the way to go in this situation (I am sure Sarah Malin at ENB will forward them).

You may be interested to know that there was a company drinks party to say goodbye to Rosalyn Whitten and Maina Gielgud after the performance on Thursday night (probably that night because the company didn't have a matinee on Friday although a lot of the girls had a rehearsal for the closing ceremony of the Olympics).

They were in it as well? I didn't think they'd have the time, although I thought I spotted the odd familiar face. (Closing ceremony discussion is here http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/1649-olympics-closing-ceremony/page__pid__20008#entry20008, BTW). Anyway, I'd have thought a goodbye drinks party was more the sort of thing to expect.

Beryl, I have to admit that I agree with you about the audience behaviour, mobile phones especially. The break between Acts I and II has always been a problem at the Coliseum - I think raising the house lights slightly and then dimming them would be a more noticeable message than the rather quiet start to the Act II Scène, especially when people are busy discussing Act I. The use of mobiles was pretty horrible, but I was being charitable and hoping that most of it was people desperate to check for Olympic results rather than just desperate for their email/Twitter fix. Incidentally, when I was at Sadler's Wells the other day, I noticed that their audience message is now along the lines of "please switch your mobiles off completely as the light can disturb other patrons", which is possibly something the Coliseum should be adopting. The other problem was an awful lot of people being let in late on the first night: being at the back of the balcony, I was hugely conscious of this, and it was very disruptive. It's since occurred to me that the Coliseum doesn't have a CCTV feed for latecomers, which I find distinctly strange in this day and age.

Beryl H

I thought the audience behaviour was irritating at the 3 performances I went to last week, people in front of me spoilt 2 of the 3 by continually sitting forward, moving about, fiddling with mobile phones , dashing to the toilet mid-performance, etc. Also not much applause, dancers had to hurry off (they got better at this as it went on), and the decision to have a pause only between acts 1 and 2 was a disaster too, they could have made an announcement."

I completely agree - it is the behaviour of other people that is slowly spoiling my attendance at the ballet. Why do they have to do all the above and have rustling sweet papers - can't they wait til the break? I also hear with dismay Sadlers Wells now alows food in the auditorium - what is the world coming to for goodness sake can't people watch a show without having to munch on something? It is rude and disrespectful to the performers and frankly if people don't intend giving 100% attention then what are they doing there? I also question the need for some women to wear HATS in the theatre - HATS :o ???!!!! What about the person behind?! Big "Billy Bouffant" hair do's are also another bug bear of mine! I could go on - I believe theatres should have a Virgin Train style Quiet Zone seating area (best seats in the house of course) for the likes of me to sit where I won't be disturbed or have my line of sight interrupted!!

I also hear with dismay Sadlers Wells now alows food in the auditorium - what is the world coming to for goodness sake can't people watch a show without having to munch on something?

That's nothing new: one of my worst ever theatre experiences was there back in the early 90s, I think, with the Black Light Theatre of Prague. The parents in front of us had 3 or 4 children with them: not only did they spend the entire time munching on something or other (preferably noisy, of course), but they all decided that the others had better seats and kept playing "musical chairs" as well.

Anyone want to start a "bad audience behaviour" thread? I don't think we've had one since this forum opened for business :). (Be warned, the one on the Whatsonstage forum a few days ago had got up to 138 pages, I think it was!)

Don't get me started on audience etiquette!! On the last night I even shouted this is a PAUSE to people getting up in front of me but they had not the wit or courtesy to take notice - I always say a standing ovation is because people in the front row stand up and then everyone behind has to follow because one cannot see!!!

In the good old days when common courtesy in the theatre was a given - or so it seemed at the time - those in need of a gentle reminder had merely to consult their programme to see the entry: "ladies are kindly requested to remove their hats".

On the other hand, back then smoking was permitted in theatres.So count your blessings folks; what is the occassional hat compared to an auditorium filled with noxious fumes?

• Like 1

I was delighted by Anais and Junor's performance on the 8th especially since I had seen Maina Gielgud coaching Anais at her recent masterclass. I felt that Anais had really taken on Maina's advice about inhabiting the character. She had a very expressive face and lovely arms. I like Junor's tall slim figure in this role. His Act 1 solo was really touching. It's amazing that someone so tall can land so softly. I wish I had been able to see Begona and Esteban. Perhaps they will do Sleeping Beauty together. They make a very good-looking couple. Actually, at the performances I thought what a handsome lot the ENB men are!