Press Release: English National Ballet announces promotions and new joiners for the 2017/2018 Season

TUFTVEVSIExPR08uanBn

English National Ballet today announces promotions and new joiners for the 2017/2018 season 

Tamara Rojo CBE, Artistic Director of English National Ballet, has today announced promotions within the Company and new joiners for the 2017/2018 season. 

Promotions 

As previously announced, Cesar Corrales has been promoted to Principal following his performances as Hilarion in Akram Khan’s Giselle, the Nephew in Nutcracker, Albrecht in Mary Skeaping’s Giselle, Ali in Le Corsaire, Franz in Coppelia, and in William Forsythe’s In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated

Having joined English National Ballet as Artist of the Company in 2014, Corrales was promoted to Junior Soloist in 2015 and to First Soloist in 2016, when he also won both the Emerging Dancer and People’s Choice Awards. At 20, Corrales becomes the youngest of English National Ballet’s Principal dancers.

Other promotions within the Company include: 

Alison McWhinney and Fernando Bufalá are promoted to First Soloist. 

Katja KhaniukovaAitor Arrieta, and Ken Saruhashi are promoted to Soloist. 

Tiffany HedmanRina Kanehara and Guilherme Menezes are promoted to Junior Soloist. 

Precious AdamsIsabelle BrouwersJung ah Choi, and Francesca Velicu are promoted to First Artist. 

Emily Suzuki is promoted to 4th year Artist of the Company. 

Of the 2017/2018 promotions, Tamara Rojo said: “I am thrilled to announce these promotions within the Company. It has been a pleasure to watch our incredibly talented dancers grow and develop as artists over the last season, and I look forward to seeing them perform over the coming season.” 

Joiners 

Joining as Guest Artists next season are Jeffrey Cirio, Principal at American Ballet Theatre, who performs with the Company for the autumn/winter season, and Oscar Chacon who reprises his role as Hilaron in Akram Khan’s Giselle. 

As previously announced, Jurgita Dronina joined the Company as Lead Principal in July 2017. 

Dronina, who remains as Principal at The National Ballet of Canada, joined the Company following her guest performances in Mary Skeaping’s Giselle at the London Coliseum and Grand Opera House, Belfast, and in Coppelia at the Tokyo Bunka Kaikan. 

Aaron Robison joined as Lead Principal from San Francisco Ballet in June 2017. Born in Coventry, UK, he has received first place at the Young British Dancer of the Year, Gold Medal at Seoul’s International Ballet Competition, and claimed First Prize at the Prix de Lausanne in 2004. 

Robison’s first performances with English National Ballet will be as Romeo in Rudolf Nureyev’s Romeo & Juliet alongside Dronina as Juliet at Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall fo r the matinee performance on Saturday 5 August

Fellow British dancer Joseph Caley joins the Company as Principal from Birmingham Royal Ballet. During his career, Caley has performed much of the leading roles in repertoire including Sleeping BeautySwan LakeGiselleCinderella and Nutcracker, and has been a guest artist with the Australian Ballet and with Star Dancer Ballet in Japan dancing with Miyako Yoshida.

Joining English National Ballet as Soloist is Skyler Martin who joins from Dutch National Ballet. 

Claire Barratt and Eireen Evrard join as Artists of the Company following their performances with the Company over the 2016/2017 season. 

Also joining the Company as Artists of the Company is Alice Bellini (The Royal Ballet School), Daniel McCormick (Houston Ballet Company), Henry Dowden (Scottish Ballet), and Rhys Antoni Yeomans (English National Ballet School). 

Julia Conway joined as Artist of the Company mid-season.

Leavers 

Leaving the Company at the end of the 2016/2017 season is Principal Yonah Acosta. Acosta, who joined in 2011 as First Artist, was promoted to Junior Soloist later that year, and to Principal in 2014. 

During his time at English National Ballet Acosta has performed in many productions including Roland Petit’s Le Jeune Homme et la Mort, as Nephew/Prince in Nutcracker,  as Conrad, Ali and Birbanto in Le Corsaire, as Franz in Coppélia and Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake and as Albrecht in Mary Skeaping’s Giselle. Acosta leaves English National Ballet to join as Principal of Bavarian State Ballet.  

Principal Laurretta Summerscales will take a sabbatical during the 2017/2018 Season to perform with Bavarian State Ballet. 

Also leaving at the end of the 2016/2017 season is Soloist Emilio Pavan, First Artist Jinhao Zhang, and Artists of the Company Yoko Callegari and Jeanette Kakareka who join Bavarian State Ballet, while Artists of the Company Vitor Menezes joins the Royal Danish Ballet, and Daniele Silingardi joins Stuttgart Ballet. First Artist Tamarin Stott leaves to pursue other opportunities and Artist of the Company Grant Rae retires at the end of the current season.  

Junior Soloist Juan Rodrigues and First Artist Makoto Nakamura left the Company mid-season. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, two principals gone, albeit one on a temporary basis. That leaves the top ranks a bit sparse with two principals on maternity leave and one only returning after a long injury break. Without getting too personal three of the departures are dancers following their partners to other companies. However, it is a huge amount of churn and does perhaps indicate dancer dissatisfaction. I'm particularly pleased to see a promotion for Katya Khaniukova. I feel that it is overdue and hope that she will be cast more prominently as she has been rather underused. Good luck to all the dancers leaving for pastures new.

• Like 1

I'm delighted to see well-deserved promotions for McWhinney and Brouwers in particular.  

Very disappointing that such a high number are leaving; even more so that several have already left but have not been mentioned in the official announcement.  I'm also sad to see Kakareka leave; she's a lovely dancer of whom I'd hoped to see more. :(

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Anna C said:

I'm delighted to see well-deserved promotions for McWhinney and Brouwers in particular.  

Very disappointing that such a high number are leaving; even more so that several have already left but have not been mentioned in the official announcement.  I'm also sad to see Kakareka leave; she's a lovely dancer of whom I'd hoped to see more. :(

Couldn't agree more regarding Jeanette Kakareka. In my humble opinion never given the opportunities she deserved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Nor of Max and Anton.

I think that, in addition to Max Westwell and Anton Lukovkin who left a while ago and Madison Keesler who left this summer, Alejandro Virelles, another Principal, also left earlier this year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

It seems a rather badly managed press release given the omissions - given that it is the official announcement, one would expect it to be complete and correct.

Damage limitation, it does not look good when so many left or are leaving. The board will have to ask questions. Auditions were held last wee k ,late in the day as most dancers have already got jobs for next season . 

Also ENBS is loosing its director of dance and three teachers , the reports I got from the school show this year were excellent .

• Like 1

I disagree. Change in a company is healthy, the board should be pleased, and I believe Tamara Rojo will finally be able to build the company that works with the direction she sees for it. The one thing that should be looked at is payscsle. Are the dancers making enough money to live or is the majority of the money going to guesting male dancers - it's always been known that ENB underpays... 

The diversity of the company with company members that have danced in other companies and other styles will. E exciting, fresh, and able to electrify each program. I'm superjazzed this is happening as should the donors and board be!!

• Like 2

No Mellissa I don't think the board will be pleased neither TR.

Part of being a good artistic director is the ability to create a nice atmosphere of work, it seems that Kevin O'Hare is better than Tamara Rojo concerning this aspect.

(Sorry for my english...)

• Like 4

Indeed, when I last crunched the numbers almost half the company had left during TR's directorship, I believe with the recent departures it is now over half, in my ballet going experience I believe that is unprecedented.  ENB was a superb company under Wayne Eagling, I feel Tamara Rojo should have considered herself privileged to inherit a company led by the likes of Vadim Muntagirov, Daria Klimentova and Elena Glurjidze - all of whom have left.

• Like 3

In the majority of companies all over the world - unless there are lifetime contracts where you can't get people to move - there is lots of turnover. People leave for lots of reason. Whether there's a great working atmosphere or not: people's lives change and it's important that they are supported in the direction they might want to go. Most of the time it has nothing to do with the artistic director. Maybe it's the rep, they look for something else, maybe it's family, maybe it's location. Its healthy for those leaving and healthy for those joining... it is not an indication of problems. I mean why are there so many openings at Bavarian Ballet, why is the ABT principle coming for example. Why did Madidon Kessler leave - well according to her Facebook and Instagram - she's going home to San Francisco Ballet. That's not something against Tamara Tojo - that's something FOR Madison Kessler   This will be fabulous!!!!

• Like 1

Absolutely you do move - a dancer doesn't just dance - they have real lives with real issues, real families, real dreams. This is just a section of their lives like you and I. What they accomplish in this section of their life is amazing BUT what they want to accomplish in all of life is even bigger!  It's healthy, it's necessary, and both they and this company will expand with richness. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MellissaHuntsley said:

I disagree. Change in a company is healthy, the board should be pleased, and I believe Tamara Rojo will finally be able to build the company that works with the direction she sees for it.

Perhaps I should point out that, of the 16 leavers, TR herself hired 7 of them - Alejandro (as Principal), Madison (as a First Artist), Emilio (as a Soloist), Daniele, Jeanette, Jinhao and Yoko (as Artists). She also promoted Jinhao (to First Artist), Max (to Soloist) and Yonah (to Principal), as well as Laurretta (to Principal). So how is their loss (and that of Ksenia last August, another dancer promoted by Tamara) ensuring that she is shaping the Company as she wants?

• Like 1

So 9 were not hired by Tamara Rojo and of the ones you mentioned - there are 4 couples. 4 couples making decisions as a family....  life decisions of which we know nothing about.thats just it - it isn't a loss - it's a growth for them and ENB.  An artist is created through their life experiences, through what they decide and see. It's called growth, everybody and organization has to do it. Growth happens when there's adequate food and water - so apparently there is. I don't know about you - but I'll be following all of their careers also... 

• Like 1

Without knowing the personal motivations of the leavers I don't think anyone can say for sure that this does or doesn't indicate a problem. It just seems like a surprisingly large number, especially for a company that is currently riding high from an outside perspective.

• Like 3

Well easily answered. So just because your working conditions and company are top tier and peachy - you would choose not to go home, or try a different rep, or try a different country, or try to get in position for your next career, or pursue anything else that matters to you?  Of course not - a dance career is relatively short to most standards. If your goals don't quite blend with your companies goals - yes - jump, leap, get yourself where you think that could happen. Make it happen - start following how much changeover happens in other companies every year. It does NOT always reclect back poorly on the director. Weren't you happy with the programs Tamara Rojo has brought in, weren't you thrilled to see the innovation and growth into different arenas?  Weren't you excited that she brought things to the UK that haven't been here? Come on - support, support, support. 

I cant wait!!

• Like 4

From an outsider's point of view - and from a manager's point of view as well - if staff were leaving where I work in the numbers that are leaving ENB it would be a serious cause for concern. Yes, some of the dancers concerned are couples, and yes, one expects a certain level of turnover in a company, but this does seem excessive. Happy staff/dancers don't leave in droves without a reason, and it's usually not for a good one.

• Like 4