Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have a DVD of a 1978 performance of Don Quixote, Kitri danced by Nadezhda Pavlova and Basilio by Vladimir Lasashev. Their dancing of the last Act pas de deux is marvellous, I have not seen it done so marvellously. Last year I twice saw the Bolshoi performance of this ballet at CG and on Tuesday the Mariinsky's. I thoroughly enjoyed these performances and the dancing was excellent but in the pas de deux the dancers were a lot less adventurous in terms of lifts etc and bravado than the pair in 1978. Might it be that dancers are a lot more cautious these days, or maybe the quite justifiable wellbeing of dancers, or a Company's health and safety liability playing a part?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jonac said:

I have a DVD of a 1978 performance of Don Quixote, Kitri danced by Nadezhda Pavlova and Basilio by Vladimir Lasashev. Their dancing of the last Act pas de deux is marvellous, I have not seen it done so marvellously. Last year I twice saw the Bolshoi performance of this ballet at CG and on Tuesday the Mariinsky's. I thoroughly enjoyed these performances and the dancing was excellent but in the pas de deux the dancers were a lot less adventurous in terms of lifts etc and bravado than the pair in 1978. Might it be that dancers are a lot more cautious these days, or maybe the quite justifiable wellbeing of dancers, or a Company's health and safety liability playing a part?

 

They dance at a slightly slower tempo these days which makes a marked difference to the over all look of the piece.  I saw an ENB couple dance it much faster a couple of months ago and that was very exciting indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't want to open a new topic. Just one more interpretation of Don Q.:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Amelia, that was wonderful to watch, especially since we are deprived of figure skating on terrestrial TV these days.  😭

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't John Curry use the Don Quixote music for his long programme when he won the figure skating gold medal?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Melody said:

Didn't John Curry use the Don Quixote music for his long programme when he won the figure skating gold medal?

 

Yes. In fact in retrospect it was he who first woke me up to ballet since he really was dancing on ice. Sheer beauty and genius.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bridiem said:

 

Yes. In fact in retrospect it was he who first woke me up to ballet since he really was dancing on ice. Sheer beauty and genius.

 

Yes, the unforgettable John Curry! He skated with such elegant style, was perfectly stretched, all ballet movements and poses looked so unforced and natural for him. What a great ballet dancer we lost in him because of his Dad’s objection to ballet.
Don Q.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djadlQLK_ow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djadlQLK_ow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg3Hv1PfQ2ghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_N6H3IayXQ

With ’Scheherazade’ music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djadlQLK_ow

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The young Osipova and Vasiliev performance of Don Q had that great excitement. It is a crime against the art that the Bolshoi never released the DVD of the cinema screening. Was it sour grapes I wonder?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering what was the DVD of choice for Don Q? I want to see it (never have) and it's not on in this country for some time... There seem to be so many out there!

 

Edit: I see a Bolshoi one from 1978 is on Amazon Prime...

Edited by thewinelake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's on in Berlin sporadic dates from now until July.  You just missed Amsterdam it was fabulous.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...