Happy Daughter

Pups_mum

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww well done everyone! Lemongirl your daughter should celebrate her achievement - before you know it she'll be taking grade 4 or higher and won't worry about the number, only that it's a distinction. And that IS a great mark! Exams aren't the be-all and end-all... as we've heard many times on this forum vocational schools etc don't care about grades and all that. Having said that - Good luck to everyone else who's waiting. Be proud of your achiements and use your reports to look at where you can improve, and set yourself a goal to improve that area!

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with 78! I always tell my dd that no matter what the mark, if she can say in good conscience that she did her best, I will be immensely proud of her.

She on the other hand is immensely self-critical. She's always been reasonably pleased with a Distinction, but whatever mark she gets, she always feels that she could have done better.

Oddly, the only mark she's ever been really happy with was the Merit she got for her Inter Foundation - she said she felt so deathly ill that she was amazed to have passed, let alone got a Merit. Funny lot, these ballet children! :-)

• Like 2

Wow, well done to your dd taxi, that's fantastic news!

My tearful dd has just gone up to bed :( Of course I am immensely proud of her and told her so but I can't console her. She just can't get the 78 out of her head. She says it sounds like a much lower mark than in the 80s. She's waiting to hear what her best friend got, I suspect if it's higher than dd's we'll have more tears. Her teacher said dd got a good range of marks, it was the character that let her down a bit.

Lemongirl, my advice is not to ask what anyone else got, it's a sure path to troublesome musings in the head of one party or the other! :-)

It doesn't matter what anyone else got. Exams are just a snapshot of the candidate on one day. I doubt that any application form will ever want to know the percentage your dd got on her Grade 3 exam; she would just say "distinction". My dd got around 78% for her Grade 1 and was just delighted with her distinction! She can't even remember her actual percentages now anyway.

Any marks your dd lost should simply be a target to improve upon next time, so think of them as positives to work on, not negatives.

In my experience, ballet children are extra self-critical, and this is fine up to a point. But your dd should be very proud of her distinction, and hopefully, when the dust settles, she will be.

Could you explain how she feels to teacher, and ask teacher to praise your dd's hard work and the distinction?

• Like 2

wow, well done, Taxi!! aww, Lemongirl, your dd has done really well to get a Distinction! but i know how you feel with the friend thing- i had a dance show on the day when i recieved the devastating 'No' letter from RBS SA's- and my best friend had just got SWL for Mids!! so it might be best to not ask the friend just yet... and at least your dd has the pride of knowing she worked hard for her distinction- big hugs to her from all of us! xxx

aww, well done to your dd, Spanner! just found out that one of my friends passed her grade 6 with Distinction too- makes my Merit seem even more feeble ;) x

Please don't thimk your Merit is feeble.it certainly isn't and you have done very well. It always concerns me when people post about their distinctions that it deflects from the achievements of those who also passed but didn't quite make that magic 75%. Its always lovely to get distinction I know (I think I told the whole world when DS got 86 for adv 1!) But these exams, especially in the higher grades are an achievement in themselves, whatever the mark, which afterall is a reflection of what happens on the day in front of a particular examiner.

The schools I teach for have an all inclusive policy (so we don't only enter a small number guaranteed to get high marks) which means very large sessions with a mix of all marks. It always upsets me if a child is upset with pass or merit, especially when they have done extremely well as individuals to reach that standard.

At the end of the day the whole experience of working for an exam (my ds says that hours of exam pracice stood him in good stead for hours of rehearsals for Sleeping Beauty!), performing for a stranger, reaching the required level- well this is achievement in itself.

So well done everyone on their results, whatever the mark.Incidently DS got 58 merit for grade 3 the year before White Lodge- one of the "lowest" that session. And he is a professional dancer now whereas all his apparently better peers from that session have long ago hung up their shoes!

• Like 8

Well said hfbrew!

The idea of exams is that they give you someone elses eye on how you're performing those exercises,at that time. They don't get to see how far you've come, or how hard you've worked. All I can say is use the report to help you identify the areas that you feel you want to improve, and target them in your training.

• Like 3