Royal Ballet Winter Season 2017/18 Casting

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vanartus said:

I’m interested to see the casts for the Bernstein Triple...wondering if Osipova will be in the MacGregor or Wheeldon. I note that she’s injured herself on tour with Polunin...🙁

OH NO.....I sincerely hope that this doesn't affect her planned Giselles here with Hallberg.  Fingers crossed it's nothing serious, and that Ms Osipova recovers well and quickly.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Vanartus said:

I’m interested to see the casts for the Bernstein Triple...wondering if Osipova will be in the MacGregor or Wheeldon. I note that she’s injured herself on tour with Polunin...🙁

How do you know this Vanartus?

Altogether, this thread is feeling a bit too speculative for me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Vanartus said:

Well I am hopeful that Osipova will recover in time for her Giselles. She is scheduled to dance at the Mariinsky on 16 Feb so we shall know more then.

• Like 2

And while we're on the subject of cast changes, surely this would have been an excellent opportunity to substitute Benn Gartside as Leontes (maybe not first cast, under the circumstances, though)?  I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to dance the role in 9 months.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alison said:

And while we're on the subject of cast changes, surely this would have been an excellent opportunity to substitute Benn Gartside as Leontes (maybe not first cast, under the circumstances, though)?  I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to dance the role in 9 months.

Here, here.  Although I am interested to see what Riyochi makes of it.  I am finding myself more and more impressed with this dancer who has an exceptionally strong stage presence in some roles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alison said:

I still find it immensely sad that Bennet Gartside was not cast as Leontes in this run. I think he gave the role exceptional gravitas and insight, transforming this work into one of the most moving ballet performances I can remember at the ROH.  

• Like 9

On 06/02/2018 at 15:19, Lizbie1 said:

With the news that Ed Watson is out of the Barbican MacMillan performances, that means that any (presumed) appearances in the McGregor or Wheeldon parts of the Bernstein programme must be out as well.  It will be weird not to see him in a McGregor work - only the second time that's happened, I think, Live Fire Exercise being the first.  It must surely also put a question mark over his Manon performances (Spring season), albeit that those aren't until May :(

So've I. I did say question mark :)   But if he's already withdrawing from performances two months ahead, that doesn't sound like a trivial injury - if you can have such a thing.  I had such high hopes for this season from his point of view when I saw the schedule :(

At least it will give Soares something to do: he doesn't seem to have been cast a lot this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

In a way, it's a pity that Naghdi couldn't have had an extra show so that she could get Giselle even more embedded in her mind and body. One show is not enough for anyone!

Yes, I wonder why Hayward got three opportunities and Naghdi only one? (Not that I’m complaining as Hayward is my favourite dancer) 😍

• Like 2

Timed at 1:07PM: A real shame they couldn't have got it announced in time for Friday Rush.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/cast-change-marianela-nunez-to-dance-in-giselle-on-21-february-2018

I'm very disappointed to miss Lauren in this.  Hindsight would be great in this, wouldn't it?  Looking at the casting schedule, I could - and would - have done things rather differently had I known :(  At least it's said to be down to "schedule changes" rather than injury this time.

1 hour ago, capybara said:

In a way, it's a pity that Naghdi couldn't have had an extra show so that she could get Giselle even more embedded in her mind and body. One show is not enough for anyone!

I thought this but didn’t wish to post to that effect for fear I’d be accused of showing a lack of respect to Bonelli or, indeed, Nunez...

It’s a minefield out there at the moment.

• Like 6