Royal Ballet Winter Season 2017/18 Casting

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve just managed to snag a ticket to see Takada and Ella in Giselle! Stalls circle row E, 20/1. There’s still a ticket left next to it. It was expensive (£115, really can’t afford it...) but I’m selling my Cuthbertson/Bonelli Amphitheatre ticket to mitigate the cost slightly 😂 For me, Takada is the ultimate Giselle!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RHowarth said:

Will we find out Myrtha casting before the run starts? From casual Instagraming I gather that Calvert, Kaneko, Heap and Magri are cast but I may be wrong and there may be others.

Surely, Mendizabal will be cast. Although I found her oddly unconvincing in the cinema broadcast (and not just because of the wardrobe malfunction), I would have thought her potentially ideal for the role. I note that Kohayashi wasn’t cast in Nutcracker this time round. Is she also now not cast as Myrtha?

• 3 weeks later...

Blast.  So, summing up, that's Cuthbertson out of Giselle this week (although currently still listed for Winter's Tale), Watson, McRae and Arestis out of Winter's Tale, McRae out of Age of Anxiety ... was that it? :(  Time to rethink my WT bookings, then :(

Unless they've pulled her out of Giselle so she can rehearse WT with Hirano, of course.  The phrasing doesn't actually specify that *she's* injured - and there is a cinema relay of WT coming up.

So, we get another Nunez/Bonelli.

Incidentally, I thought the phrasing when McRae was initially announced injured was that he was pulling out of his first *two* Giselles, as though there was an implication that he might manage the third, which was later on.  Yet I don't see another Takada performance scheduled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alison said:

Unless they've pulled her out of Giselle so she can rehearse WT with Hirano, of course.  The phrasing doesn't actually specify that *she's* injured - and there is a cinema relay of WT coming up.

I don't think so, Alison, as the announcement says 'due to injury'.   I do hope Lauren is ok.  

Yes, but since Ed Watson appears to be injured all I'm saying is that Lauren not dancing Giselle this week (but still being down for Winter's Tale next week) could suggest that a Giselle might have been sacrificed so that she can rehearse WT with Hirano.  Either that or she has what appears to be a minor injury (or one which affects the role of Giselle but not that of Hermione) which they hope will have cleared by next week. I have no knowledge either way - I'm just trying to find a scenario which fits the ambiguous wording and some seemingly contradictory current casting information.

I'd just like to offer best wishes for a speedy recovery to Lauren, Ed, Steven and Christina. I can't imagine how it must feel for a dancer when he/she is unable to perform in a treasured role - as is the case now for all of them

It's good to see that Luca Acri is going to be back on stage soon.

• Like 10

Yes, it isn't at all unusual for a Royal Ballet "due to injury" or "due to illness" cast change notice, which names several dancers, to mean "one or two of these dancers is sick/injured and this has had a knock-on effect".  This can be quite obvious when there's only one production involved, but when dancers are involved in more than one production the logistics may not be as immediately obvious.

It's entirely different if a notice says "Due to injury/illness, dancer xxx has withdrawn from the role of yyy" as then it's obvious.

There have been a few occasions in the past when I have arrived at ROH for a ballet, picked up a cast list with a cast-change slip, commiserated via Twitter with the person named, and been told "oh, I'm fine, but xxx is injured so I'm having to go on in their place at tomorrow's matinee" or similar.

• Like 3

It seems to me that he most obvious reason for Cuthbertson not dancing her Giselle this Thursday is the fact that she and others need studio time to rehearse with Hirano who is replacing Watson as Leontes in The Winter's Tale which opens in just under a week.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FLOSS said:

It seems to me that he most obvious reason for Cuthbertson not dancing her Giselle this Thursday is the fact that she and others need studio time to rehearse with Hirano who is replacing Watson as Leontes in The Winter's Tale which opens in just under a week.

But aren't dancers always in the position of rehearsing one or more roles during the day whilst performing another in the evening? (I don't mean to be heartless! Just not sure why it should mean having to not dance a Giselle, which seems a huge sacrifice since there are not that many opportunities to dance these great roles.)

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, bridiem said:

But aren't dancers always in the position of rehearsing one or more roles during the day whilst performing another in the evening? (I don't mean to be heartless! Just not sure why it should mean having to not dance a Giselle, which seems a huge sacrifice since there are not that many opportunities to dance these great roles.)

Could it be that given the short time available they are rehearsing in the evening?

Dancers rehearse during the day for a number of forthcoming performances and productions but a dancer with a scheduled evening performance has a two hour break between the end of their rehearsals and their evening performance. On non performance days dancers generally rehearse until 6.30 pm.

I do not pretend to have any insider information about cast changes, illness or injury but it seems to me that bringing Hirano into the first night cast only a few days before the performance is due to take place may well require a bit of additional rehearsal time which may only be available by dropping one of Cuthbertson's Giselle performances. Remember the company is not just rehearsing Giselle and The Winter's Tale with additional rehearsal time required for Lamb and Muntagirov as Perdita and Florizel. The Bernstein Mixed Bill must also be in rehearsal and that has a lot of announced cast changes and then there is Manon which opens in March. Rehearsals for Manon will soon be underway, if they have not already started, and depending on what is wrong with McRae there may be cast changes to be announced there as well.

Edited by FLOSS
  • Like 2

Editor's note :) :

I've merged a lot of cast-change discussion from the Giselle thread into this one.  As all the posts are arranged in chronological order, this may have resulted in some slightly odd-seeming reactions to preceding posts.

1 hour ago, SPD444 said:

Could it be that given the short time available they are rehearsing in the evening?

I don't think so as many dancers have stated in their interview: "When we have a performance in the evening we finish rehearsing at 5:30pm allowing us to rest, eat, warm-up again and prepare for the evening performance. On non-performance day dancers rehearse up to 6:30pm".

Dancers do sometimes rehearse later into the evening than that: often on "out-of-hours" works, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did so in emergencies as well.  But I also believe that they are supposed to have a good rest (an afternoon?) before tackling a demanding major role, and it could conceivably have been necessary to sacrifice that period to rehearsals.  Hermione is a created role for Cuthbertson, and my impression has been that she's very attached to it.

• Like 3