Royal Ballet in Hull 16th September 2017

45 minutes ago, capybara said:

The Times' Debra Craine was there and has written at some length ( 4 ****) under a photo of Xander Parish and Yasmine Naghdi in the Sylvia pas de deux.

Crikey - it's pretty unusual for Debra Craine to leave London, major festivals excepted.  If I were BRB or NB I'd be a bit miffed that it took the RB to get the Times to travel for dance (something that mystifies me when their national coverage of other art forms is really very good).

• Like 5

I was lucky enough to see the performance from inside the Theatre, tickets were very hard to get hold so I feel very fortunate to have attended.  Amazing performances from both the professionals and the young local performances, highlight for me was when Robert Parker thanked his first teacher, it was a very special moment and wonderful to see that they still have a close bond.

• Like 4

It sounds like a wonderful evening, with a really wide ranging programme and a lovely idea for the dancers to take bows in front of the people watching outdoors. The atmosphere must have been terrific - hope the BBC does one of its updates on Hull as City of Culture and covers this (it may have done so already, in which case I missed it!). Good to see all this national coverage - heard Kevin O'Hare on the Today programme last week - just a short interview, but can't complain to hear ballet discussed on the flagship news programme.

• Like 4

We aren't that far from Hull and I went on the website as soon as I heard about the gala but the website had already crashed under the strain and when I finally got on, all the tickets had been sold. I do wish that the Royal Ballet would tour more often. The dancers photos on Twitter and Instagram looked as if they had a wonderful time travelling as well as performing. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BMC said:

It sounds like a wonderful evening, with a really wide ranging programme and a lovely idea for the dancers to take bows in front of the people watching outdoors.

They did that once or twice in London for the big screen relays.  I think they started it back in the days when the screenings were in the Piazza, and continued it to Trafalgar Square for at least one year.  My brain is saying it was Onegin, but I'm not sure it's right.