clicking back when stretching

Siconne50

Hi, my dd has been complaining recently that her back makes a clicking noise whenever she stretches to the side & backwards, its not painful. She does have a back which is more like a gymnast although she doesnt do any gymnastics, should i be concerned about this and take her to a physio? Thanks.

Hi, my general rule with clicks is that if it doesn't hurt, don't worry too much about it. Clicks can be caused by many reasons - tendons snapping against other structures, or cavitation within a joint capsule ( the finger joints clicking is thought to be caused this way). The only time to be concerned is if a click becomes painful - then seek physio advice.

Backs have a series of joints which themselves can become slightly dislocated during day to day movement - and we often don't know about it - relocation of these joints (called facet joints) can sometimes click. Also, around these joints are all sorts of bits of soft tissue (tendons etc) and any stretch of a tendon or ligament as it moves can cause snapping against something else which sometimes causes a high pitched click or snap. Again we come back to the topic of the growth spurt here - bones tend to grow first, and the soft tissues take a while to catch up, which means that the tendons/ligaments/muscles get a bit tighter for a while which can cause this snapping to be a bit more prominent.

Finally, looser joints also click and snap more due to the 'abnormal' range that they can move through - and as dancers get older these clicks and snaps get more and more - Every time I get up off the sofa something clicks!

• Like 3

Well many parts of my body have clicked since i was about 8 or 9. I`m now 44 and my back,knees,hips and every finger still click every single day.Think i would feel stiff and "seized up" if i were to even try and stop at this stage.! Me and my older sister used to have clicking competitions when we were kids to see who could click the most parts. I remember at primary school i used to entertain the class with my clicking knuckles,as i could play the tune "M,U,M,U,F, M,U,F,C OK. [Man United fans,all of us,being from the Old Trafford/Stretford area.!]

Two physios have said that as none of my dd's many "clicks" are at all painful, then it's just a part of being hypermobile.

But as everybody is different, I would suggest getting checked out. As Anjuli says, no harm in checking.