Olympics in general

alison

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone. I haven't been on this website for some time, I have been so involved in the Olympics. I work from home, but the amount of work that went on over the Olympic period was nil, as the tv went on at 10 in the morning, and stayed on until about 11 at night.

Not sure if this thread is still active, but thought I might add to it. What an Olympics! I am a Londoner, and London was transformed into a crowd of flag waving, flag wearing, happy people. Even passengers on the overcrowded tubes were smiling and chatting to one another, and strangers stopped to ask for news on the various events. I went to several live screen events where all nationalities sat happily together, and celebrated together at the end, no matter who won.

Regarding coverage, someone told me that the Olympic games has its own, independent broadcaster, and all the countries link into whatever sports each country is interested in. The BBC had no control over the pictures being shown.

I feel a bit sorry for you, Anjuli. It does seem that NBC(?) did a rotten job. The BBC always showed 3 different sports at any one time, plus you could access just about everything on the internet. You can't ask for better coverage than that. I remember when it was in Beijing, I could watch a full recording of that day's events on the red button so that I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to see it, so I don't see why America can't do the same thing. I realise how lucky I am, living in the UK.

For me, one of the joys of the Games is being able to watch sports I would never normally see. I loved the rhythmic gymnastics, the synchronised swimming, and the musical dressage. I never thought I would get so involved in horses dancing to the Nutcracker and Land of Hope and Glory.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Tom Daley for great A-level results as well as his bronze medal. It makes his achievements all the more spectacular when you consider that he has been training for the Olympics and all its attendant media circus and still studying for his A-levels.

• Like 3