Olympics in general

alison

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cycling has been just AWESOME - congratulations to the Men's sprint team and Victoria Pendleton. I've been going purple forgetting to breathe too.

This morning I was biting my nails watching the sculling. Alan Campbell put so much effort in the winning his bronze; he was completely spent at the end. Well done to him for his wonderful achievement.

• Like 1

Okay, clearly I need not to go out anywhere. I went to Wimbledon on Monday and missed the Daley/Waterfield medal attempt which came to naught. Tonight I went to Swan Lake, come back and find that Rebecca Adlington has lost her second Olympic title :(. Note to self: make sure you watch Jess Ennis tomorrow ...

Still, Murray managed to get past Djokovic, so we have a repeat of the Wimbledon final - or do we? Not that I'm particularly fond of Del Potro, but I think after his tremendous effort this afternoon he really deserves a medal. And after that match I don't think anyone can claim that tennis players don't care about Olympic medals. Trouble is, the bronze play-off is today, so he doesn't have much time to recover.

• Like 2

I was just about to take the dog out for a walk this morning when we thought we would just check up on the Olympics. Ended up watching the ladies' triathlon and then the rowing. Both amazing. Fantastic two golds in the rowing but my heart bleeds for Purchase and Hunter.

Chunkydog is still waiting for her walk!

• Like 2

I was remarking to dd that watching him swim in slo-mo - particularly swimming butterfly - is like watching ballet. Sharapova's serve is the same.

Fantastic finish to Phelps' swimming career; I'm so glad he got Golds in both his last individual race and the medley.

Speaking of Golds - Ennis, Rutherford and Farah!!!!

• Like 2

Seriously, he is so beautiful to watch.......

Anjuli, did you read Ismene Brown's recent-ish piece (just after the Wimbledon final) on sportsmen and women who were beautiful to watch? It was linked in Today's Links. She included Roger Federer and Blanka Vlasic (sorry, no idea where the diacritics go there), but I'm not sure she mentioned Phelps.

Actually, since it's still hiding in my recent history, here's the link: http://www.theartsdesk.com/dance/gods-grace-when-sport-beautiful

Well, what a fantastic day for GB. Two wins for Murray and Robson, and six golds! Congratulations to all the medallists. Above all, particular congratulations to the fantastic GB women cycling pursuit team: as nailed-on a gold as any other in these games. They've now lowered the world record in every one of their last six competitive races. And the contrast between their ultra-professional, super smooth and frighteningly efficient performances with their joy after they've won and removed their helmets is just brilliant:

http://www.dailymail...close-gold.html

http://www.guardian....trott-dani-king

• Like 3

Anjuli, did you read Ismene Brown's recent-ish piece (just after the Wimbledon final) on sportsmen and women who were beautiful to watch? It was linked in Today's Links. She included Roger Federer and Blanka Vlasic (sorry, no idea where the diacritics go there), but I'm not sure she mentioned Phelps.

Actually, since it's still hiding in my recent history, here's the link: http://www.theartsde...sport-beautiful

Thank you for that link, Alison, - so true and beautifully written (writing, too, is a gracenote in our lives).

No, she didn't mention Phelps - but I don't believe she mentioned the magnificent horses in the equestrians events - of which we've seen nothing. And, missing also, is the fencing - another beauty in motion.

I recall a picture of a baseball player who was in a perfect ballet attitude derriére - I think I still have it somwhere..

One of the differences between dance and sport is the intent. The classical ballet dancer intends - works toward - and carefully hones the picture created so that it is beautiful. With the sports athlete the beauty is just as wonderful, maybe more so, because it is unintended.

It's an extra unexpected treat.

(edited for unintended typo - certainly not unexpected, however)

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 1

No, she didn't mention Phelps - but I don't believe she mentioned the magnificent horses in the equestrians events - of which we've seen nothing. And, missing also, is the fencing - another beauty in motion.

I think it really depends on personal taste: so many great athletes and sports to look at!

She didn’t mention any swimmer or diver, but having to pick one out, for me it would not be Phelps: he has a good style and is elegant enough, but doesn’t really emerge for that. Anyway he remains a swimmer enjoyable to watch, on the contrary one I respect for his records but cannot really admire because he was very powerful but not extremely good looking in water was IanThorpe.

But for the "unxepected treat" of beauty and elegance, I’d make two other names: Alexander Popov and Krisztina Egerszgegi. She was the second to win three gold medals in the same race (200 m backstroke)… she stopped after Atlanta at 22, but her best time in 1996 was unbeaten until 2007 and her world record –set in 1991-was surpassed only in 2008: that means that she would have won easily also in Sidney 2000, at 26, and maybe in Athens 2004, when she was still just 30!).

In London I really loved Sun Yang elegant free style!

The NBC coverage here is nothing short of abominable.

The Chit Chat Four (CCF) gave us a tour of London. We got to see them board a double decker bus - but nothing of what they saw from the bus. Then they went on that giant wheel. They told us how boring it was and we got to see them playing cards to while the time away - but no views from the wheel. Then they went to a pub - wow how exciting and informative is that? A pub in London - who would have guessed?

We did get to see a magnificent shot of the full moon through one of the Olympic rings hanging from the bridge.

We did see endless beach volleyball whether or not a US team is involved (its hard to get emotionally involved when Upper Shangri La is playing Lower Shangri La. But - in case one wants to see something different there is endless court volleyball. Now, I like volleyball - but hour after hour when one knows other things are happening is more than a bit trying. Oh wait! I forgot water polo - that's on the second NBC channel. So, we do get a choice - volleyball or water polo. I have to admit there was a bit - not much - of skulling.

Then everything is shut down during the middle of the day - yesterday children's cartoons were shown for several hours. Yes, hard to believe I know. The second NBC channel showed a documentary on life in a jail in Miami (not a fun show for either those inside or those watching from the outside).

We were promised the BIG EVENTS in prime time in the evening. Prime time is usually thought of as between 8 and 10 p.m. So, we watched and saw bits and pieces of women's gymnastics, one short swim, a few trial heats of track and field racing. Every few minutes we were reminded the BIG SWIM RACE with Phelps was coming up. But to keep us busy we had interview after interview of various runners - not with the runners themselves - but with everyone who has ever had contact with them - the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.

By 10 p.m. with no swimming in sight - just more promises for the next hour and another "life story" beginning - we shut down the TV and went to bed.

We have as yet not seen any of the Gold Medal swims - either as an individual or as a team. We've seen no coherent gymnastic event shown in any coherent manner - just seconds of film here and there.

But, I'm sure the CCF is back at it this morning ready for a new day of "touring London" - only this time perhaps we will get to see them get on the lower deck of a bus since we already "did" the upper deck yesterday.

I remember years ago before the CCF were born - we got to see gymnastics as a whole - it made for a coherent "whole" - one could see and compare the styles and accompllshments of the different gymnasts. Same with the other events. Then sometime in the late 80's (as I recall) this idea of "the life story" - which can be interesting - went beyond interesting and took over and the actual sporting event became secondary. Well, actually third. The Chit Chat Four are FIRST in importance - even while they are playing cards.

I am not making this up - they were actually playing cards because a small mind can't find something to occupy itself in one of the great cities of the world.

What a disgrace.

(thank you for allowing me this rant)

• Like 1

WELL DONE ANDY MURRAY!!!!

Anjuli, were you aware that Akram Khan's dance piece (very moving and atmospheric), which followed the tribute to the deceased, was cut by NBC in its coverage of the opening ceremony. My family and I were in the US during the Beijing Olympics and I was really struck by the lack of interest in any events other than those in which an American was expected to win shown by the American broadcasters. One of the few exceptions was the young British diver Tom Daley, presumably because of his age (he was then 14). I also remember hours of coverage of the women's beach volleyball, which I found surprising.

• Like 2

I've been watching the gymnastics individual events this afternoon. Our main interest (of course) was in the breathtaking pommel horse final but the other finals we saw were pretty good too.

Well done to Louis Smith and Max Whitlock for their silver and bronze.

Then switched over to find I'd completely missed the golds in sailing and tennis. Well done to the amazing Ben Ainslie for his 4th consecutive gold medal and to Andy Murray for his much deserved win in the tennis singles.

Currently on the cycling!

• Like 2

I had to switch to the cycling when Helen Skelton started to interview our pommel horse medallists. She irritates me beyond. :-(

Having a sailing background yet being a huge tennis fan caused me a bit of a dilemma earlier, until I realised that I could watch the sailing live on my ipad while the tennis was on tv. Result! :-)

• Like 1

WELL DONE ANDY MURRAY!!!!

Anjuli, were you aware that Akram Khan's dance piece (very moving and atmospheric), which followed the tribute to the deceased, was cut by NBC in its coverage of the opening ceremony. My family and I were in the US during the Beijing Olympics and I was really struck by the lack of interest in any events other than those in which an American was expected to win shown by the American broadcasters. One of the few exceptions was the young British diver Tom Daley, presumably because of his age (he was then 14). I also remember hours of coverage of the women's beach volleyball, which I found surprising.

We were told that there would be no "official" memorial to the slain Israeli athletes (I am assuming that is to which you are referring) That dance would be cut out doesn't surprise me at all. It allowed more time for the antics of the CC4.

Well, first I think it must be said that it is natural that the TV audience has an interest in its "own" team. This is not limited to the American viewing audience as I see it in this thread - it is completely understandable.

I think it is important to remember that what the TV broadcasters choose to show is not necessarily a reflection of what the audience chooses to watch (note the heavy decline in TV viewership in general).

On the other hand I have seen the American audience totally rooting for the likes of Olga Korbut, any number of fabulous Russian ice skaters, runners from Africa, and - I'm having difficulty recalling the correct name of the event - but the synchronized gymnastic ribbons which is not a sport Americans were initially familiar with or participated in - but loved to watch.

Americans, like most other fair minded people, are just as interested in great performances whether by the home team or someone else's team. But if two teams are playing who are so far out of the running for any place in the finals it's hard to understand hours devoted to the game when other sports are entirely uncovered - never seen at all. (As I type another several hours are once again being shown of water polo.)

We fell in love with great ice skaters such as the John Curry, Brian Orser, Toller Cranston, Robin Cousins, Torville and Dean.

Just as we took the Royal Ballet and Margot Fonteyn to our hearts from the first visit in 1949 and ever since.

NBC does not - nor does any one network - represent America.

And, so too, my comments are my own and represent only my limited view.

• Like 2

Anjuli - the memorial was for the people who were murdered by terrorists in London on 7th July 2005, the day after London had been been announced as host for the 2012 Olympics.

The BBC have published this terrific clip of their anchor team watching the end of Mo Farrah's triumphant 10000 metres. The gentleman in the gray suit on the right is none-other than Michael Johnson:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19134764

• Like 2

Anjuli, your rant is quite understandable! It sounds like pretty disgraceful coverage. But have you thought what effect the time lag may be having on it? We're getting a lot of beach volleyball here because it, along with the basketball, is going on til around midnight when there's really nothing else on still. And won't your "middle of the day" be around the time the athletes here are trying to get some sleep? (BTW, the beach volleyball is taking place at Horseguards' Parade, not very far away from Downing Street. The Prime Minister is apparently getting distinctly annoyed by the noise levels :) )

Marvellously as Andy Murray played today (and he did), I found the men's singles really rather depressing as a match. I'd been hoping we'd get both players playing near the top of their game (in the "proper" Wimbledon final we had first Murray and then Federer doing so, but not both at once) and a really good match, but we didn't, and it was really quite distressing to see a player of Federer's calibre being demolished as comprehensively as he was. I guess he really hadn't recovered emotionally from that gladiatorial 4 1/2 hour contest on Friday, as he implied. But on that note I was pleased to see that Del Potro (not a player I particularly like, I should add) won the play-off for bronze: it would have been too cruel for him to have come away empty-handed after that titanic struggle which someone had to lose.

Apart from that, I've found it a bit of a mixed day today. I was very impressed to see Murray and Robson (he really was on fire today) nearly win mixed-doubles gold as well, considering that they were a scratch pairing who were only brought in to fill a place in the draw when someone else had to pull out. Ben Ainslie won gold again, but I've never managed to watch enough of the sailing to get a real appreciation for it. Disappointed that Louis Smith, having tied on points with his rival in the pommel horse, missed out on the gold because of having a slightly lower execution score or something: when you think that the other night we had a dead heat in the swimming and both were awarded silver, it seems a shame that a different sport insists on splitting the two competitors.

Moving on to the athletics: I've never been so obsessed with "the fastest man on earth" as a lot of people seem to be (indeed, when I was watching athletics at Crystal Palace the other week, *and* sitting by the start line, I still managed to pretty much blink and miss the 100 m!), so wasn't really so bothered as to who won the 100 m. I was just very disappointed that Justin Gatlin won the bronze. I'm sorry, but I don't think that anyone who has committed two drugs offences has any business being at the Olympics in the first place, let alone having the effrontery to win a medal! (Noticeable that all the other reinstated "drugs cheats" didn't actually make it through to finals for one reason or another).

Looking forward to tomorrow, though. I'd really love to see Beth Tweddle win a medal to end her career with. Olga Korbut thinks she can win gold, but I think that might be expecting a bit too much ...

• Like 1

Finally FINALLY got to see some of the equestrian events - well, the jumping anyway.

Of course the time difference does play a role but when we are promised THE BIG SWIMMING EVENT in prime time (8-10 p.m.) and it's still not on after 10 p.m. - then I think the BIG TEASE is overdone. It's not like we don't already know the outcome - so why not just show it within the 8-10 pm time slot as promised?

And except for the water polo and various forms of volleyball - we don't get to see anything as a whole. We get to see a vault or two of the women's gymnastics - then someone jumping off the balance beam, then someone else's floor exercise (usually half of it)- and splat back to water polo.

Oh wait - there is something we get to see a lot of - a huge lot of - commercials!

I fancy I can hear the announcer saying "And,now back to the show" - but he/she/it is really saying "And now back to the commercials".

I didn't think Mustafina's routine was difficult enough to warrant the Gold, in all honesty. Beth's level of difficulty was marked the same as Mustafina's but Beth's combinations were more difficult.

I would have placed China in Gold, Beth Silver, Mustafina Bronze. Oh well.

Bad luck for Komova and Gabi Douglas though. :-(

• Like 1

Yes, so delighted after Nick Skelton's awful accident where he broke his neck and it was thought he'd never ride again.

I missed out on the cycling, apart from the semis, so it's good to know about Kenny, too. (Mind you, having been selected in place of the great Sir Chris Hoy, he really *had* to perform, didn't he?)

• Like 3

It was, wasn't it? And the dressage is tomorrow ...

Just so I'm not being totally jingoistic, congratulations to Kirani James on a marvellous 400 m for Grenada, and to Felix Sanchez for an almost-as-good one over the hurdles for the Dominican Republic. Both their countries must be delighted. But I thought the cameras could have pulled back a bit and given Sanchez a little bit of respite when he got totally overcome on the podium.

Anjuli, I just found this on the BBC website: seems that the BBC isn't actually responsible for any of the TV pictures: http://www.bbc.co.uk...?thread=8371366

• Like 2

Felix Sanchez for an almost-as-good one over the hurdles for the Dominican Republic. Both their countries must be delighted. But I thought the cameras could have pulled back a bit and given Sanchez a little bit of respite when he got totally overcome on the podium.

After the podium Felix Sanchez stopped to be interviewed by Fiona May for Italian TV and said that when it started raining during the ceremony the he thought that the rain were his grandmother’s tears of joy; she died the past year and was the one pictured in the photo. “I felt her running at my side”, he said. He was very serene during the interview, but it was an extremely touching moment (Fiona May was very close to tears when translating it).

• Like 1

I've watched an interview with Dave Brailsford this morning. He was saying that the French have been asking him about why Team GB has been so successful in the cycling over the last 4 years. The answer (paraphrased by me) is that the British use round wheels on their cycles!! Wonderful stuff!

• Like 2