BRB - BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - LOWRY - JAN 2012

Birmingham Royal Ballet enjoyed a successful week of David Bintley's Beauty and the Beast at the Lowry last week, with near capacity audiences at every performance.

The tale is told quite darkly and the lighting is very dark. I asked some people who were sitting in the circle if they could see everything ok and they said yes so I guess the lighting must be cleverer than I thought. From the front row, I would still prefer more light!

We saw seven performances split between three casts. What is so interesting is that all three leading couples interpret the roles so differently but all so well. The leading couples we saw were Robert Parker/Elisha Willis. Iain Mackay/Nao Sakuma and Tyrone Singleton/Ambra Vallo.

While all the performances were terrific, Thursday evening was particularly special and, for me, the best performance of this production I have ever seen. It was Robert Parker's last scheduled performance as the Beast and the whole evening was touched with magic dust and will live on in my memory for many years to come. All the dancers contributed to the overall wonderfulness of the evening but I must mention that, apart from Robert's powerhouse performance, both Elisha and Ambra (as the wild girl) were spectacular.

Thanks BRB for a super week. We've already booked for Swan Lake in the Autumn.

We were in the front row of the circle on Saturday night and didn't have a problem with the lighting - or at least the darkness seemed appropriate if you know what I mean! I thoroughlly enjoyed every aspect of the production.Indeed my daughter declared it to be "awesome" which I think is the highest accolade a teenager can give! We're also looking forward to Swan Lake in September.

It was Robert Parker's last scheduled performance as the Beast and the whole evening was touched with magic dust and will live on in my memory for many years to come.

Aww ... Actually, it's good to know ahead of time that he's going - it gives people so much more of an opportunity to see and appreciate him while he's still around.

I saw Wednesday evening's show - Ambra/Tyrone - it was a nice show beautifully danced, but I won't be rushing to see Beauty & the Beast ever again for the precisely the reason of the lighting. I was front row circle but for me it was just too dark - would not have been so bad had the men's costumes been lighter colours but it was too much like peering into the "back of beyond" for me - brighter lights and the audience imagining it dark would be better! Thanks to bad lighting I felt a robbed of seeing properly the fantastic performance of Tzu-Chao Chou as the Raven he was brilliant and for me the best dancer of the night. I think he is definitely a dancer to watch. I've my Swan Lake tickets too - can't wait!

We too were front row of circle saturday night and felt the lighing worked well to show the fabulous scenery - the trees, forest, gilt mirrors, stuffed birds and moving jugs etc just beautifully. Absolutely loved the raven dance and the corps de ballet in it. The ballroom secen reminded us of last year's Cinderella ballroom scen slightly but wonderful choreography all the same.

We too have Swan Lake tickets booked! :)

We too were front row of circle saturday night and felt the lighing worked well to show the fabulous scenery - the trees, forest, gilt mirrors, stuffed birds and moving jugs etc just beautifully. Absolutely loved the raven dance and the corps de ballet in it. The ballroom secen reminded us of last year's Cinderella ballroom scen slightly but wonderful choreography all the same.

We too have Swan Lake tickets booked! :)

Sorry a few spellings went adrift in my enthusiasm there