Do you have to break in satin ballet shoes? (not pointe)

ScottishDancerMum

It may have been ok if you had asked your son to wear the shoes around the house while still slightly damp with thick socks over the top - that seems to stretch them back to the original size (or did with satin shoes anyway). I washed a couple of pairs of DD's satin shoes and they were ok fit-wise when she did this. You sometimes need to roughen the suede soles after washing. 

• Like 1

I regularly wash canvas shoes. The thing to remember is that you need to restretch them whilst still wet. The intended wearer's feet are the ideal things to stretch on, but failing that, stuff them with a couple of socks or something so that they are pushed back into shape.

Edited by Pups_mum
Spelling
  • Like 4

So many lessons!  I love this forum!

Sarah, I sealed my ribbons with a lighter - I've had trouble with craft ribbon unravelling before, so I started with that.  I am finding that after stitching it on, it seems to pull a bit at the stitches.  I think I might reinforce it behind the ribbon if I can.  

I tried one shoe like the video above, and one where I did it so the ribbons are a bit behind.  But I think the second shoe looks better.  I'll get her to try them both on again and see.  

She's not tried canvas shoes yet but Ill keep the washing thing in mind if we get some (plus for the satin ones).  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ScottishDancerMum said:

So many lessons!  I love this forum!

Sarah, I sealed my ribbons with a lighter - I've had trouble with craft ribbon unravelling before, so I started with that.  I am finding that after stitching it on, it seems to pull a bit at the stitches.  I think I might reinforce it behind the ribbon if I can.  

I tried one shoe like the video above, and one where I did it so the ribbons are a bit behind.  But I think the second shoe looks better.  I'll get her to try them both on again and see.  

She's not tried canvas shoes yet but Ill keep the washing thing in mind if we get some (plus for the satin ones).  

If you put some tiny stitches along elastic casing into ribbon that tends to stop the pulling of the stitches. Tip given to us by Bob Martin, Darcey Bs shoe maker. 

In my time I've machine washed satin, canvas and leather flats. Just stuff them with flannels to dry.