English Youth Ballet, Nottingham

gazelle

I sometimes think they're getting so popular that they need to have 2 audition dates! :-)

Or maybe split the audition 3 ways, into junior, intermediate and senior groups? The age range in the senior audition always strikes me as huge. There are tiny little pre pubertal 12 year olds alongside young ladies and men who are pretty much adults. I know they won't be exactly judging them against each other as they'll be looking for a range through all the ages, but I think it can be off putting for the younger ones.

• Like 2

yes that sounds like a fab idea- i didnt really feel as if i got to dance much at Wolverhampton- i was mostly at the back for the warmup, then just 2 allegro combinations in small groups (and allegro certainly isnt my strong point, which was annoying!!) Glad your dd had a good time at Sleeping Beauty rehearsals, spannerandpony, its a lovely ballet :) x

Dd hasn't auditioned for this as for one thing we can't afford it but I agree about the age range. A student of mine auditioned for a pro panto as the very youngest in the age group but as she is tall for her age she felt she was being judged by the standards of the older dancers

She didnt get in even though she had been given a place the previous year when she auditioned with the lower age group.

Aw, that's a shame. I must admit it's been a struggle for us this year but as EYB is in the summer holidays, dd is doing it instead of Summer School. It's so worth doing if, like ours, your ballet school only really does syllabus work and no festivals. Thank goodness EYB let you pay in instalments! :-)

Sodor, when it comes to panto, we've never had any luck and don't bother any more.

We found that they tend to go for the ones who will fill their set of stock costumes, and also it helps if you are small for your age, particularly if the principal 'celebrities' are short!

'Stage School' grins seem to be an essential as well, and we noticed that the same children got picked year in year out....

She's one of the "Guests" en pointe - bit like the Corps de Ballet I think, as Dominic said they are like the Swans in Swan Lake and the Willis in Giselle. I think it's a useful role for EYB for the younger teens who are en pointe but not old/advanced enough for pointe solos like Lady Energy etc.

She's really happy though as it's a lot of pointework, she's with her best ballet friend, and she gets to wear pretty dresses! She's having an absolute whale of a time. :-)

Your dd should have a good time in Monster rehearsals as she'll be dancing with the fabulous Steven! :-)

Yes, dd loves Steven, she says he's v funny! Her little jewel part is en pointe which I was surprised about as she hasn't been doing it long. I hope her feet will be ok. She says not all the little jewels are en pointe, there's a mixture. I don't know if this means she can do it on demi-pointe if it gets too much...