Onset of menstruation and growth

Jellybeans

Apologies Anjuli for misunderstanding your comment - as I said I was unsure of what you meant and I'm afraid it seems I was right there! As you said, "the guardians of the trenches are often unreceptive" and as a result of this I do find myself regularly defending either my dance teaching or science/healthcare credentials. I apologise for immediately 'jumping' down that path.

Thanks NL and RK - I hope that I am in a fairly unique position as both a dance teacher and a GSR and I love to be able to help others if possible; but I certainly don't profess to be an oracle, I'm always keen to learn more...I'll be interested to hear what the gynae has to say on this topic :)

I've been following this thread with interest, as I do with most of the threads here - I just love this forum! As a teacher I don't tend to know when all the girls start their periods so I've not really been able to comment but I just wanted to say how great it is that there is a dance teacher in the UK with such knowledge as DrDance - I'm sure I'll be PMing you for advice all the time! (If thats ok?!?)

• Like 1

You have to weigh six and a half stone before ovulation can occur. This is the trigger for menstruation but excessive exercise or starvation can prevent it.

Everybody is so different - my dd started her periods age 10 when she weighed 4 stone 9 lbs, although they were very irregular to start with. She grew 4 inches the following year and only about an inch or two since. She's now 13 and has practically stopped growing at 5'4" and 7st.

I started my periods when I was 10 too.

Saw my neighbour tonight who is a professor of gynaecology.This is the information she gave me.

Most growth is done 2 years before menstruation starts then slows down and stops after 2 more years.Most adolescents take after their mothers but any trauma,eating disorders,sports training or ballet can prolong periods.22 percent of body fat is needed to start a chain reaction through the body which finally starts the ovaries working.

Obesity causes periods to start early and stops growth.

Countries nearer to the Equator start earlier and countries to the north and south start later.Something to do with sunshine.

But In Japan the girls do most of their growing after menstruation starts.

Hope this has helped xxx

• Like 2

And what about growth in other areas as we're talking about it? Does the body tend to change shape before or after the onset of menstruation? Do any increases in weight associated with puberty tend to come before or after? And what about the development of a bust? When does the most growth occur in this area?

My DD recently had an x-ray. The paediatrician commented in his report that she was "Risser 0". I hadn't heard of this. I turned to Google of course.... the Risser scale as I understand it is about the growth plate of the pelvis, and how it changes from cartilage to bone. The scale goes from 1-5, with 5 being where growth is complete. And the process from 1-5 takes 2 years. So presumably 0 is just before 1....Anyone else know anything about this - and able to confirm? Sounds fascinating so I thought I would throw it into the discussion.

She is nearly 14 and has had periods for about a year. Here's hoping it means she has at least two years more growth!

• 10 months later...

With regards to health care professionals, certain professions are restricted by law and require a set educational standard and registration with a professional body (doctor, dentist, pharmacist, physiotherapist, dietician etc).

Nutritionist, chiropractor, osteopath are not restricted titles and you can call yourself this with little or no training and there is no required regulation.

Lots of people work in the 'medical' sector the most important thing is to recognise when to refer to someone with more expertise.

• Like 1