Summer school accommodation in London suggestions?

Poppy

Hi

I would like to attend a 2 week summer school in London however it is non residential. I was wondering as mum and I would have to stay down there for the full 2 weeks if anybody has any suggestions for accommodation?

Thanks.

I was going to suggest seeing if Travelodge or Premier Inn are having sales, but if you're talking this summer everybody has doubled or tripled their London prices because of the Olympics. When - and where in London - is it?

Accommodation during the olympics and para olympics is pricey (now there's a surprise!! :blink:) and has booked up fast, (been there and had to buy the hideously expensive t-shirt ;)) but if your summer school is outside those dates then things should be both cheaper and more plentiful. A lot of universities let their student accommodation during the summer months and by googling you'll find either accommodation sites handling uni bookings or find the universities own accommodation booking pages on their websites. For a two week stay a self catering flat is probably what your looking for? unless mum is hoping to take a well earned rest from the catering during her London stay :D . There are loads of accommodation web sites to choose or you could try something like owners direct, holidaylettings or airbnb for example. Good hunting! :)

J x

Edited by Elliepops
  • Like 1

Have you checked the prices at the moment? My drama daughter needs somewhere for a week in August. I found a very nice flat in Fulham, 2 bedroom for only £150 p.w. Brilliant! we were going to go up and stay with her. I came crashing down to earth when I checked out the right week, though. For the time the Olympics is on, it's going for £1,500 a week! Also it is self catering! Greed is alive and well in the UK! It is cheaper for her to live here and commute into London, even given the price of petrol and a season ticket!

I stayed in Halls of Residence belonging to the University of London when I did a summer school a few years ago. It was £35 per night which included breakfast and a cooked dinner and was minutes away from Kings Cross station. They have a few halls in different places across north London, here's the link to their site: http://www.halls.london.ac.uk/visitor/Default.aspx

• Like 2

I found a very nice flat in Fulham, 2 bedroom for only £150 p.w.

Fulham? 2-bed? "Very nice"? Sounds incredibly unlikely to me, I must say. Even out as far as I live, you wouldn't get a cockroach-infested studio flat for less than that.

As for greed, well yes, I'm sure a lot of people may be greedy, but ... I vaguely looked at the idea of renting my own flat out for the Olympics (pretty convenient for most of the venues, you see :) ), and when I'd factored in additions of furniture, new TV (can't expect anyone else to watch on a tiny screen, apparently), broadband, probably new linen, cleaning, insurance (all apparently demanded these days), storage of my own stuff, possible letting agency fees, and then to top it all the taxman taking a whack of somewhere around 25%, it all seemed too much effort for the potential money. If it's a long-term investment, it's a different matter, but for just a couple of weeks as a one-off it's not really a viable proposition unless you're charging at least half an arm and a leg.

King's College has halls of residence in South London (Denmark Hill SE5) and I assume that Goldsmith's and Greenwich Universities do too. I have no idea whether they rent them out in the summer and, if they do, whether they are stiil available.

• Like 1