Help with Vocational school fees

Happymum

I think that some (long) time ago somebody on the forum mentioned some kind of company/organisation which helps spread out payments. If I haven't imagined it it allowed you to pay smaller amount monthly (weekly?) rather then  1 big payment a term. Hope somebody can help. I thought I'll check here before I ask at our school but maybe each school has a company they work with and I should check with them? As proud and happy as I am for both my children I'm dreading September...

• Like 2

Definitely worth a call to the school - I know both Hammond and Elmhurst have operated this scheme in the past, monthly payment over 10 months if memory serves .. 

Know DD's current school don't - were very sniffy when I asked about it.  As she had a scholarship why would I want help spreading the fees?  Some people have no idea ...

• Like 3

To be honest, we looked into this and after seeing the interest charge decided to do our own version.  We opened a specific bank account for vocational school and worked out how much we had to pay over the year. We then paid into this account weekly/monthly . We started May before DD actually started at vocational school so there was already money in the account by September. It meant it was far easier to budget - we still paid the school termly but with money going out of our accounts by DD monthly we never had any lump sums to find and it made finances easier.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

To be honest, we looked into this and after seeing the interest charge decided to do our own version.  We opened a specific bank account for vocational school and worked out how much we had to pay over the year. We then paid into this account weekly/monthly . We started May before DD actually started at vocational school so there was already money in the account by September. It meant it was far easier to budget - we still paid the school termly but with money going out of our accounts by DD monthly we never had any lump sums to find and it made finances easier.

Yes, I started to think about a similar way of "saving" for school fees yesterday. I looked up how much we will need to pay for SFP and thought how many pairs of pointe shoes we could buy for this amount of money and decided against. But it does look nice and easy, very convenient and everybody's case is different so I can see how it might work very well for some. I'll need to come up with someting else like 2dancersmum did.

I did ask the school last October and was told No, the only way was to use School feed plan. And not having much notice of the place, we couldn't start saving in advance either. We chose to swallow the interest for the convenience really. Good luck and hope you get a different response now the school had a new finance director!! 

32 minutes ago, dancefanatic said:

I did ask the school last October and was told No, the only way was to use School feed plan. And not having much notice of the place, we couldn't start saving in advance either. We chose to swallow the interest for the convenience really. Good luck and hope you get a different response now the school had a new finance director!! 

I wonder if this reflects the backgrounds  of the admin  staff  at  those schools , if they have come from  'nilla  private schools  where  paying  fees termly  is the norm ... 

I frequently had to pay ds fees in half termly chunks and found that as long as I communicated openly when there were problems (for example ill health) it was fine. I was also careful to pay up on the dates that I said I would!

• Like 2