I had a wonderful time last night, though none of my curtain call photos came out, because from the Balcony, Yanowsky's dress was the same colour as the floor, which gives the effect of making her vanish from the pictures!

It may be blasphemy to say so, but in my ideal universe, her farewell to the company would have been Month in the Country.  I do hope she gets asked back to guest in it in future.

• Like 6

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Colman said:

I couldn't make the cinema showing because of rehearsals and no ones doing an encore around here. Not happy, since its one of the things this year I most wanted to see: there'd better be a DVD at least!

I too would love a DVD but I wonder if the ROH would put the curtain call on You Tube, I would enjoy watching that again.

• Like 5

May I say that the first time I saw Symphonic was in 1979.  It was live at the Opera House with Merle Park and (I think) David Wall.  I was bored by it.

Over the years I have come to realise how completely wrong I was and that opinion has haunted me for nearly 40 years.  Oh, the follies of youth!

• Like 4

On 7.6.2017 at 15:43, alison said:

Dowell/Sibley?  Where???!!!

Belinda Hatley was one of the others in SV: I'm having a bit of trouble remembering who the other male was: Ludovic Ondiviela, perhaps?  At least, I'm assuming it was Hatley's retirement performance you've seen.

I am sorry, I mixed it up, it's Dowell with Merle Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVTTg1facko

(The Dream)

Edited by Petunia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fonty said:

The final curtain calls, however, were something else.  What a wonderful send off for her.  Acosta got a huge cheer in the cinema, but some of the camera angles made it difficult to see the faces of the other men, as they were hidden by bouquets of flowers.  I was amused to see that Campbell looked shorter than her.  And yes, Bussell was whooping from the side of the stage. 

I've been searching my rapidly failing memory for a production which featured Acosta with Zen.  I can imagine them together in the Prodigal Son but I don't think the RB has staged that for at least 15 years.  Can anyone help?

Linda

Really enjoyed cinema relay last night. I won't add much to comments made. Loved the Dream, loved SV and was moved by Marguerite and Armand. Still feel my first viewing with Fonteyn and Nureyev was most emotional. I found Bolle too mature for the role. I wanted the contrast of a courtesan  and less experienced young man. However many thanks to O' Hare for giving Zen such a wonderful send off. Now looking forward to seeing it live on Saturday, cast changes and new approaches. What a terrific season.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Back from another wonderful evening at this best of triple bills, and reading the reviews, I was struck by Anna Winter's description of Nunez in SV that 'some secret sublime knowledge seems to inhere within her, shaping the profound sensitivity of her phrasing'

Exactly.

Together with Muntagirov whose equally sublime elegance takes on a new meaning in this piece, it must be my ballet performance of the year.

Is this the same  Anna Winter from Exeunt who wrote so offensively a while ago?

Yes - she writes for The Stage too. And when she concentrates on the stage, she writes extremely well!

• Like 2

We had a wonderful evening of ballet in the cinema, and I shall not comment further on the dancing, as others have so eloquently said all I would have done.

However, re the  two presenters... My tuppence worth is this : one was enthusiastic, likeable, professional, male and black, which in these days of outreach and the absolute necessity of bringing ballet, and all that it can do for us, to a wide public is ticking all the right boxes. The other is enthusiastic but makes mistakes in her parsing and reading which render some of the sentences gobbledygook and others just odd. Changeling = challenging? Astaire = Ashton? New worlds of possibilities open up, but this is not how the Royal Ballet should be presenting (yes, presenting) itself to the world.

Rant over, until, I fear, next time.

• Like 2

Linda:  Like you, I can't recall a RB production with both Zen and Acosta, but she appeared with him in most/all of the "Carlos Acosta and Friends" shows that he ran at The Wells and in the Coliseum.

and of course they did Elizabeth together ..... which was stunning!

Edited by J_New
to add quote to clarify which post I was referring to ...

40 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

I've been searching my rapidly failing memory for a production which featured Acosta with Zen.  I can imagine them together in the Prodigal Son but I don't think the RB has staged that for at least 15 years.  Can anyone help?

Linda

The ROH database is often inaccurate so I don't know how much one can rely on the one listing that pairs Carlos and Zen in The Prodigal Son (February 23,2004)..

http://www.rohcollections.org.uk/performance.aspx?performance=5031&row=19

In all other performances that season Zen was paired with Ivan Putrov and Carlos with Sylvie Guillem so it could well be a mistake.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, simonbfisher said:

We had a wonderful evening of ballet in the cinema, and I shall not comment further on the dancing, as others have so eloquently said all I would have done.

However, re the  two presenters... My tuppence worth is this : one was enthusiastic, likeable, professional, male and black, which in these days of outreach and the absolute necessity of bringing ballet, and all that it can do for us, to a wide public is ticking all the right boxes. The other is enthusiastic but makes mistakes in her parsing and reading which render some of the sentences gobbledygook and others just odd. Changeling = challenging? Astaire = Ashton? New worlds of possibilities open up, but this is not how the Royal Ballet should be presenting (yes, presenting) itself to the world.

Rant over, until, I fear, next time.

I too would prefer a different presenter, but, Ms Bussell is dyslexic, which is why she cannot read the autocue accurately. I find it very painful to watch her struggling with it as she did last night and it must be awful for her. It would be much better if she were allowed to just speak. She knows about this stuff...after all- whereas her co presenter is just reading it off a card.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Mary said:

I too would prefer a different presenter, but, Ms Bussell is dyslexic, which is why she cannot read the autocue accurately. I find it very painful to watch her struggling with it as she did last night and it must be awful for her. It would be much better if she were allowed to just speak. She knows about this stuff...after all- whereas her co presenter is just reading it off a card.

I didn't see them last night (elsewhere engaged!) but like both very much. But yes, if Bussell is dyslexic why on earth not just let her say her own words, with the obvious guidance as to the sort of thing that's needed. She's perfectly fluent when speaking for herself (and there's nothing particularly special about the words she's given to read after all).

• Like 5

Great to hear that all the presentations and Kevin's speech were included in the screening - will look forward to seeing all the wonderful flowers in close-up. I am a bit ashamed to say that I have become pathetically greedy with these screenings - when I'm at the ROH I wonder what interviews etc are being shown in the intervals and when I'm at the cinema I'm wondering what the atmosphere is like in the auditorium. I count myself very lucky to have an Encore 10 minutes' walk away on Sunday.

What a lovely and richly deserved send-off for Zen who leaves us with so many happy memories. Oddly the image that keeps springing to mind today is not Paulina or Queen of Hearts or Manon but the Hostess in Les Biches. Her 'cat got the cream' expression as she skipped around, necklace swinging, with a hunky young man on each arm was priceless. As for Carlos, haven't looked this up (sorry) but I'm sure she danced Agon with him? 

Oh well, off we go again this evening with - to me - all new casts in the three ballets and then back to reality with the General Election exit poll (and no, definitely not proposing we go there!!).

• Like 1

Those wishing for DVDs (myself included - I wasn't able to make it to the cinema and I'm nervous at the expense of tickets for the encores) may be saddened to know that when I asked the ROH if there would be a DVD released they told me that they didn't intend it. Perhaps we can start some kind of petition? I'm heartbroken that we cannot rewatch (or even watch for the first time in my case) it.

• Like 3

I have, in the past  been pretty critical about Bussell as a presenter, (ok, I have been very critical) but either she is getting better or I am just getting used to her.  Yes, last night she did say Fred Astaire when she meant Frederick Ashton as she started to speak to Kevin O'Hare.  However, she wasn't reading the auto cue at the time, it was obviously just a slip of the tongue which she quickly corrected, and it made everyone laugh, herself included.  

If her dyslexia is still causing her problems, then maybe she might consider simply speaking in her own words, with Oduba giving her the prompt for the next topic. They seem to get on well together, and I rather like the light hearted approach they take.  It made me smile when he said he had a bit of a man crush on Muntagirov after SV.  :)

Edited to add, in BBB's photo on the previous page, who is the gentleman standing to Anthony Dowell's left?  I don't recognise him.

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, VickyPage said:

Those wishing for DVDs (myself included - I wasn't able to make it to the cinema and I'm nervous at the expense of tickets for the encores) may be saddened to know that when I asked the ROH if there would be a DVD released they told me that they didn't intend it. Perhaps we can start some kind of petition? I'm heartbroken that we cannot rewatch (or even watch for the first time in my case) it.

Darn, that's crazy.  There's no RB recording of either The Dream or Symphonic available - and I would love both.  I did wonder why they didn't film the first night - guess they thought they could get away without a backup in the circumstances :(

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Fonty said:

I have, in the past  been pretty critical about Bussell as a presenter, (ok, I have been very critical) but either she is getting better or I am just getting used to her.  Yes, last night she did say Fred Astaire when she meant Frederick Ashton as she started to speak to Kevin O'Hare.  However, she wasn't reading the auto cue at the time, it was obviously just a slip of the tongue which she quickly corrected, and it made everyone laugh, herself included.  

If her dyslexia is still causing her problems, then maybe she might consider simply speaking in her own words, with Oduba giving her the prompt for the next topic. They seem to get on well together, and I rather like the light hearted approach they take.  It made me smile when he said he had a bit of a man crush on Muntagirov after SV.  :)

Edited to add, in BBB's photo on the previous page, who is the gentleman standing to Anthony Dowell's left?  I don't recognise him.

I think she is definitely getting better and is much more relaxed about it all now.

56 minutes ago, VickyPage said:

On the ROH website's "Your Reaction" page about the live transmission, someone with the sonorous title of "Head of Brand Engagement and Social Media" has responded with:

"No DVD/Blu-Ray release has yet been confirmed, but watch this space!"

So there may still be hope - pressure there might  help.

Edited by Johnpw
to add "there" (Your Reaction)
  • Like 7

There should be a permanent record of these three Ashton works while there are still Ashton dancers/coaches  around to maintain something close to the right style.  If not, we will just get international  (ie watered down or much altered) versions which bear little similarity to what is needed.

• Like 11

Can only echo others' comments -stunning performances and yes, a DVD would be great. For us, the performance was only spoiled by the very poor reception. There was a lot of picture break up and regular loss of sound-only a few seconds but enough to break the focus and then you're on edge expecting it to happen again. Typically it was happening in The Dream and at its worst in Symphonic Variations which were the 2 I'd really come for. Superb performances I thought in M and A but it's not a ballet I really warm to to be honest-and would you know it, the reception was perfect for that one of course!

I've put a comment about the problems on ROH website but I'd be interested to know what others have found regarding reception for broadcasts. The last few screenings I've attended have been at our local, large Odeon multiplex,  and have been trouble-free (apart from a Bolshoi one where I think someone forgot to switch something on this end!), but this one was at our tiny local theatre. I'm just wondering if the problem is to do with better receiving equipment at the larger cinemas as I have experienced regular hiccups in the reception at various times in all of the small venues I've been too.Or is that just a coincidence I wonder?

I don't know: I suspect it may just be pot luck.  My worst experience was at the Ritzy in Brixton, where a total loss of sound meant that I've still never seen the Bolshoi's Esmeralda (it did go on repeat a couple of years ago, just after my local had started showing the Bolshoi, but what do you know?  the management decided not to show the repeats, only the live broadcasts :( )

Right, in cab on way home and desperately trying to avoid reading about the exit polls, too depressing. 

Loved The Dream, David Yudes' Puck was fantastic, as were Sambe and Hayward.

Previously saw Symphonic Variations in New York, definitely prefer it at home at the ROH, was a completely different ballet to watch.

M&A was one I was particularly looking forward to being a huge fan of Ashton. I have Rojo/Polunin on DVD and just love the chemistry and the passion. It wasn't quite right tonight except for the final scene which Ferri delivered well. I think the problem is that she is just too old.... There wasn't enough fire in her in the early scenes, was her line just not long or stretchy enough? Was it something about her upper back? Really can't put my finger on it. And then there were huge cheers for Ferri... 

Re   Zenaida and Carlos Acosta. I did see them appear together years ago in Prodigal Son. As I recall, his performances were scheduled to be with Guillem (and there was one at least) but she was then injured and he did at least one with Zenaida instead.  I'm  sure I also saw them in together at the RB in Agon, though this is a long time back.  The pdd from this featured in the Acosta and Friends shows (with Zenaida) I think. 

Digging about in the ROH performance database, I also found a record of Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude in 1999 - Bull, Bejamamin, Yanowksy, Acosta, Abelgglen. 

Edited by Lynette H

Further to my post about The Dream on page 4 of this thread, I thought that tonight's cast was enchanting. Marcellino really owned the stage, and therefore his fairy kingdom, and Francesca came across to me more vividly than on her debut. David Yudes was, again, a simply terrific Puck.

I didn't have cause to change my mind about Ferri's Marguerite, however,  I think, maybe, that her body no longer lets her do 'yielding' and that it is that which makes her seem 'hard'.

• Like 3