EYB Swan Lake

amum/Cathy

All of it!

The cygnets were very together and precise. So too the Spanish dancers (admitting prejudice here!). Swans were magical. Tsar's nieces and nephews a very promising bunch of dancers, Princesses and older and younger mariinsky dancers, Stage Hands, etc etc etc, all brilliant. I think the choreography is sooo clever to bring out the performing talents of the children, who may have a huge variation in levels of training. Just to mention the cygnets' dance. There is a clip on Youtube somewhere of Darcey Bussell coaching some white lodge students in the cygnets dance, and commenting on how difficult it is to get the exact precise co-ordination of the dancers. It is a very unforgiving dance - yet Julianne's choreography, and the attention to every little detail of their movements the girls gave, resulted in an amazing dance :)

Found the link

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops. Help - why do my website links put the whole video on here??

It's not just you - I put one on once and it ended up being a huge picture taking up half the screen. i deleted it in embarrassment! I think the site must be automatically set up for that to happen.

Edited by Pups_mum

I would say all of it as well, although dd would be upset if I didn't mention the courtiers' dances! Loved the Polannaise and it was dd's favourite too. She would have loved to have been a cygnet but was just happy to be in it. I can't believe those older girls who stormed out because they didn't like their parts!

I thought the standard was very high (Dartford but I imagine it's similar in other places) and I was very impressed with how professional the whole performance was with only 12/13 rehearsal days especially the younger dancers who were very disciplined for their age.

It's a shame if they don't make friends though - dd said the girls were mainly very nice but I suppose you have to be lucky.

I enjoyed the whole performance too .I particularly liked the stage hands dance choreographed by Dominic I think and also the cygnets and swans .The junior and senior groups are together for the casting .My DD auditioned with the junior group but was cast en pointe.

• Like 1

They're back in Newcastle in 2014 :)

I first went :D when I heard that news until I realised that my DD will be doing her GCSEs in 2014 so now I'm feeling :wacko:. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's well before the exams, or ideally afterwards.

• Like 1

All of it!

The cygnets were very together and precise. So too the Spanish dancers (admitting prejudice here!). Swans were magical. Tsar's nieces and nephews a very promising bunch of dancers, Princesses and older and younger mariinsky dancers, Stage Hands, etc etc etc, all brilliant. I think the choreography is sooo clever to bring out the performing talents of the children, who may have a huge variation in levels of training. Just to mention the cygnets' dance. There is a clip on Youtube somewhere of Darcey Bussell coaching some white lodge students in the cygnets dance, and commenting on how difficult it is to get the exact precise co-ordination of the dancers. It is a very unforgiving dance - yet Julianne's choreography, and the attention to every little detail of their movements the girls gave, resulted in an amazing dance :)

What lovely comments with regard to the cygnets, thank you. I loved their dance and totally agree with the choreography which was lovely to watch and also thought they executed it beautifully. With regards to parts my DD was lucky enough to be cast as a cygnet and is tall for her age so this time in casting it maybe that this went for her. Mind she would have been happy given any part as this was her first experience and absolutely loved it, she made some lovely friends and found the whole thing a very positive exciting fun experience. The video clip that amumcathy has posted was one that both my DD's loved to watch and dance to as well as the Royal Ballet versions on you tube. I darent try putting any links on just in case!. . . . .

I also enjoyed the swans, stagehands and spanish dancers. I thought the courtiers were brilliant considering there was alot on stage and all the costumes were amazingly gorgeous!! I was amazed at how professional the whole production looked. Unfortunately though with the performances being on school nights for my DD's friends and living nearly an hour away alot of her friends werent able to attend, so will have to wait for the DVD!

Edited by amber21
  • Like 2

hi i agree fully with u Amber21 this was my DD first experience of EYB who was also a cygnet this group was a very tight group and performed excellent and all the group enjoyed the show infact they were all in tears when it ended. I liked the spanish dancers and the little mirinskys in the little mirinskys group they all put there heart and soul into the performance . The swans also looked very beautifull and danced well. The production was lovley to watch and it was great to have as many boys taken part.

• Like 1

Nothing on their website for 2013 and 14, did Miss Lewis tell you?

There are audition dates on the website now for Preston and Weston Super Mare in 2013 but it doesn't yet say when the performance dates are or which ballets they will be.

• Like 1

My DD thoroughly enjoyed her EYB experience and this is the second time she has done it, she has enjoyed her parts both times and has made lots of friends............... I thought they all danced beautifully the little marinskys were fab (biased of course) they were all fab !! i loved the spanish dance and thought they deserved their mention off Miss Lewis what a performance !!

DD is looking forward to them coming back to Newcastle :D

• Like 1

I have a feeling they may have replaced Stevenage and Dunstable with Aylesbury as the theatre there is so much bigger - 1500 seats or thereabouts - and they filled it for 3 performances of Nutcracker. I wonder if they've outgrown the Gordon Craig at Stevenage.

It's a lovely theatre (we go there every year for the Panto) but EYB has become so popular that I think they'd have to do at least 4 performances there to fit in all the people who wanted to see it. Aylesbury is such a big theatre that they can sell out 3 performances there; it's quite substantially bigger than the Gordon Craig.

It would be fantastic if they would return to Stevenage but I'm pretty sure that Aylesbury has replaced it.

Milton Keynes, Northampton, Cambridge & Peterborough would all be do-able for us. Not sure about Oxford though, I might do a 'dry run' while she's rehearsing Sleeping Beauty in Aylesbury and see if I think I could stand it...!

I suppose that as well as the right theatre, a suitable place for rehearsals would have a bearing on their choice of location too.

• Like 1

Wow, this thread has covered a lot of subjects now hasn't it!?

But yes, I think the suitability of theatres has a lot to do with the choice of towns/cities for EYB. I believe that a friend of a friend spoke to them some years ago about whether they'd consider coming to our nearest large town but they said there wasn't a suitable venue.

I suppose it makes sense from a commercial point of view. They must need to sell a certain number of tickets to cover costs and pay the staff and principal dancers so they will have to choose theatres with enough capacity. I have a vague feeling that I've read about them doing 4 performances rather than 3 in smaller theatres occasionally, but that would have logistical problems and still be economically disadvantageous I suppose.

It's a shame for those of us who live in more out of the way or smaller places but I guess particularly in these harsh economic times they are bound to opt for the venues where they feel most confident of balancing the books.

I first went :D when I heard that news until I realised that my DD will be doing her GCSEs in 2014 so now I'm feeling :wacko:. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's well before the exams, or ideally afterwards.

My DD did Sleeping Beauty in Yeovil in the June of her GCSE year and it was a god send as it took her mind off the exams and sh relaxed. It did help that she was dancing BlueBird - full RB version with Matthew so had a lot to concentrate on. So I would say don't worry, go for it!!

Heather

aka Taximom

• Like 1

Worthing is a small theatre - 4 performances required, a logistical nightmare backstage IE there is virtually none! It's a former cinema so they close the upstairs bar to use as dressing room space and to access the stage the dancers come down into the foyer, out the front door of the theatre walk down the street - with feet in plastic bags and under brollies when it rains and in through the dock doors to side of stage that has wing space (only a corridor the other side). To cross from one side of stage to the other you go down a spiral staircase with no handrail - a rope hangs down the middle of it to hold onto, and then zig zag under the stage). They must like it tho to come back again and again. :blink:

J x

• Like 1