Getting over box?

Pointytoes22

Well, it depends which part of the foot may be lacking in strength, or whether it's a flexibility issue at the front of your ankle. Or your foot could be fine but you may need a shoe with a deeper/lower vamp. It's impossible to tell. Have you spoken to your teacher and/or a dance physio?

I did speak to my teacher and she has told me to use a theraband to strengthen and I was wondering if people had any other ideas which I could work on over summer so I have beautiful pointy feet in September :) Yes they are my first pair, but I think I've broken them in. How would I tell if they needed more breaking in?

Did she give you specific theraband exercises? Because different theraband exercises will strengthen different areas of the foot and you might end up over working one area and accidentally neglecting the correct area.

Which make and model of shoe are you wearing?

I did speak to my teacher and she has told me to use a theraband to strengthen and I was wondering if people had any other ideas which I could work on over summer so I have beautiful pointy feet in September :) Yes they are my first pair, but I think I've broken them in. How would I tell if they needed more breaking in?

Since this is your first pair and, if I understood you correctly, are not doing pointe in class over the summer - I think you should wait until class begins again so the teacher can advise you and tell you how to use the theraband and anything else she would like you to do.

It's not just "what to do" but also "how to do it."

Do you understand clearly what she meant when she said pointing against resistance and working through the foot? How many times? How often? These are all important elements.

So, I think you need to understand all this clearly.

• Like 1

That seems like a reasonable exercise; did she demonstrate the exercise to you?

Grishko Triumphs apparently have a Medium vamp; if - like my daughter - you don't have very high arches and insteps, then it might be worth trying a lower vamp next time in case the vamp is holding you back slightly.

Also, if the shoes aren't broken in at the demi pointe, that could also be holding you back slightly. If you have a look on Youtube for Lisa Howell's video on breaking in pointe shoes, she shows how to gently massage the shoe at the demi pointe (go easy though).

Or lots of rises in parallel and first, working right through quarter pointe, demi pointe, three quarter pointe and back down again. Don't go up onto full pointe and make sure you control your descent.

Edited to add that Anjuli and I were typing at the same time; it's really vital not to do an exercise unless the teacher (or a physio) has demonstrated it fully to you. It's better not to do an exercise than to do it wrong.

Ok thank you for the advice. My teacher didn't demonstrate so I will hold off doing the exercise for now, I have summer school in two weeks so I can ask her then.

I have wondered if my pointe shoes are holding me back, you're right spanner that I don't have very high arches and insteps so I think next time I'll try a lower vamp.

• Like 2