Jump to content

Ahem...Dance Belts and "furniture!!"


Recommended Posts

Boo, just been wondering about dance belts for my almost 10 year old.

What age do boys start to wear them? How do, you know, you get the furniture in, if you get me? ☺️So many boy questions. Ho hummmmmm...

Be grateful if you could recommend your faves, ooooh, it's a minefield! ??? Can I get a book on this kind of parenting? There's a gap in the market there...?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I send my senior boys to discuss the "furniture" with my younger students- from the snippets I've heard its quite a gory scare tactic chat, the words blue and tangled get thrown about quite a bit :unsure: 

The sooner they get used to wearing them the better, and when I had a chat with a male teacher that was his advice too. 

 

Planet dance have a really good selection, including a full seat pair, which I've been told is more comfortable than the thong back version. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

i would think that    you would be looking at  Tanner II   stage of development https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanner_scale  which  a 10 year old  may be at . as this is when the testes begin to enlarge both the  ball and sac. 
 

'swoop and scoop '  seems to be  be the main tactic  i.e.   both  penis and testicles pulled up  in front  ...     
 

blue and tangled  could  well be the result of  not  wearing  one  ...  a crushed nut  even if it;s not damaged  long term is  very painful. 

i've only worn  thong back DBs  and  yes they do take some getting used to   but  the security  they offer is probably a little better ...  plus thong back = better definition ... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks good. It makes me giggle how I can't raise it in conversation with his dance teacher as I'm suddenly 13 again! ? I'm 41!! There are no other boys to ask either round here, so want to make sure he's googling the right thing! Oo-errrrrr...? xx 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking for a previous thread that had a link to a website with great advice on. Can't find it grr!! I think it's only fair that mothers of ds have one tricky issue  to deal with! ! You escape all the hair and pointe shoe issues.      ...

Edited by sarahw
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sarahw said:

I've been looking for a previous thread that had a link to a website with great advice on. Can't find it grr!! I think it's only fair that mothers of ds have one tricky issue  to deal with! ! You escape all the hair and pointe shoe issues.      ...

Ha ha, as if! He has a twin sister who also dances! ?? xx

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Ha ha, as if! He has a twin sister who also dances! ?? xx

 

and also assumes Pointe wise that he doesn't  stick a finger or two i nthe direction of the traditionalists ... 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our DS also wears a thong dance belt and started at around 10yrs. He still finds them a tad uncomfortable & quite glad when he can take them off. 

He prefers the padded variety as he says it gives him some added protection from the occasional wayward knee or foot placement of the girls when practising pas de deux. Think he's still got to learn to stand back a little further !!!

ouch :huh:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've so enjoyed reading these replies! Thank you for all your help guys. Someone mentioned one that was integral to a leotard a few months ago. Anyone have any experience of these?? 

Thinking it's one less thing to go missing if it's attached!

Shouldn't laugh but he's gone dancing tonight in his boxer shorts  and leotard! (With toghts over obviously!) Looked comical but he was happy! ???

S xx

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MrsMoo2 said:

I've so enjoyed reading these replies! Thank you for all your help guys. Someone mentioned one that was integral to a leotard a few months ago. Anyone have any experience of these?? 

Thinking it's one less thing to go missing if it's attached!

Shouldn't laugh but he's gone dancing tonight in his boxer shorts  and leotard! (With toghts over obviously!) Looked comical but he was happy! ???

S xx


i've seen but not tried the  combination garments ,  to some extent it makes  sense  as the  'pants' bit of a  leotard  doesn't  do a great deal  when you are wearing  tights on top  other than be an extra layer of material  between  the dancebelt and the  tights ...  

boxers under leo and tights  must look  somewhat comical  and not good for  his lines ! 
 

Edited by mph
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

my DS wears padded thong type. since around age 12 from my memory. never worn the integral one- gave up wearing leotards in favour of t shirts/tops at around 14. The huge advantage is that you can get 100% slim fit cotton t shirts at a fraction of the cost of a leotard so it doesn't matter so much when they get lost or turn grey... only the dance belt bit is the specialist bit....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a thong style one that had, for reasons I can't fathom, a lump just where the thong met the belt section at the back, which was deeply uncomfortable and made the drive home unnecessarily entertaining. But one that fits and isn't designed by an evil misanthrope is perfectly comfortable. I'm inclined to say that going with the thong version is probably best, if you can. Full seat ones create weird seams under tights, so just get used to the real thing from the start. 

 

I have a leotard with a built in one, which is fine, but a stand alone is more flexible. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The first time my son encountered one of the beasts was at English Youth Ballet - if any of your DS are doing this, they are the past masters of advice on the whats, wheres, and hows.

 

I think that he referred to it as jockstrap whilst still at primary, gave the illusion of sporting machismo ....

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 year old ds here, only been dancing for 6 months. I didn’t even know specialised boys underwear existed! Just when I think I’ve gained a decent bank of knowledge for dd, ds starts dancing and it’s a whole new ball game (if you’ll excuse the pun). Any other surprises in store for us?? 

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

well if he's still dancing when he hits teenage growth then expect your fridge and bread bin to empty on a daily basis (normal teenage boys are bad enough, a teenage dancer boy is a one person plague of locusts).

  • Like 14
Link to post
Share on other sites

Relatively new to this too - my nearly 14 year old DS has been dancing for about 18 months - so it's been a learning curve but surprisingly not too steep! He's got both full seat and thong type and also has one integrated with leotard (thong back by Wear Moi I think.) He's seems pretty content with his selection (well, as content as you can be with these things I guess!!) but I suspect won't replace the full seat one when it's outgrown. 

 

And MrsMoo2, it's just dawned on me that we know each other :) Happy to talk dance belts and furniture with you any time!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, elfin said:

Relatively new to this too - my nearly 14 year old DS has been dancing for about 18 months - so it's been a learning curve but surprisingly not too steep! He's got both full seat and thong type and also has one integrated with leotard (thong back by Wear Moi I think.) He's seems pretty content with his selection (well, as content as you can be with these things I guess!!) but I suspect won't replace the full seat one when it's outgrown. 

 

And MrsMoo2, it's just dawned on me that we know each other :) Happy to talk dance belts and furniture with you any time!

Ha ha, I'd make a crap spy!!!

Note to self, be more elusive! ???? 

I just found this forum the other week, great isn't it?? S xx 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrsMoo2 said:

Ha ha, I'd make a crap spy!!!

Note to self, be more elusive! ???? 

I just found this forum the other week, great isn't it?? S xx 

Don't worry, all your secrets are safe with me ? 

... and yes fab forum full of lovely helpful people :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, CeliB said:

well if he's still dancing when he hits teenage growth then expect your fridge and bread bin to empty on a daily basis (normal teenage boys are bad enough, a teenage dancer boy is a one person plague of locusts).

And whole tins of biscuits vanish within minutes,...

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's bad enough when they're 6 and 9. I'm dreading 16 and 19. It's going to be like something out of  a Tudor banquet, isn't it? Whole sheep and flocks of chickens being stripped of flesh in minutes. 

  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! My eldest dd would have given them a run for their money! She was a real skinamalink and nothing put weight on her. I used to be the same but sadly it isn't the case any longer. ?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...