IDTA teacher - ballet syllabus help!

miss.pointe

Hi, I have just joined and spent most of yesterday evening reading through some really informative posts - thank you so much for making such a great resource for dancers!

I am thinking of doing a IDTA teacher's course for ballet and possibly jazz modern as well.

Has anyone out there done the IDTA course/exam and can tell me more about what to expect? Both actually in the exam on the day and also what the IDTA syllbus is like.

Thank you ever so! :)

Hi There and welcome!

I believe I can help answer your questions, as have been through these exams for Ballet (there was lots of discussion on the older version of this board and if you search on Google the threads can be picked up, I think!).

Perhaps you could say what your background is, to help understand what information would be helpful to you and what you would need to do as there are different requirements dependent on your prior knowledge and experience etc.

Best wishes,

RK

Thanks both for your welcome!

RK, thank you so much for the offer! What phrase could I search for to find the old thread?

My background is in the RAD syllabus. I have also done ISTD jazz and along the way spatterings of contemporary and tap. I also did a three month intensive musical theatre course which included dance most recently. Since my last RAD/ISTD exams (about ten years ago) I have been doing adult ballet classes, yoga, pilates and pursuing a slightly different career in acting.

I have found a IDTA dance teacher course which is weekly lessons and of course the course work in between.

Hope that's helpful and look forward to hearing from you!

Hello,

I have found an old thread and copied the link - just "googled" IDTA Associate exams.

http://www.ballet.co.uk/dcforum/training/1369.html

The most important thing is to know if teaching is really for you. As has been said on several threads here being able to dance does not necessarily convert to being able to teach. You need passion and commitment to the students.

Have you, or could you join a studio where the IDTA syllabus is taught and perhaps observe/assist with classes? You could then pursue study for the teaching exams with the studio rather than attending a fixed set of classes on a course or perhaps combine the two.

Briefly, the Associate qualification requires thourough knowledge of the syllabus as well as ballet in general (same for Modern Jazz - but I will only speak to ballet as this is the subject I am qualified in!). You will be required to pass Pre-Associate 1 (Lower Grades, Preparatory to G3) and Pre-Associate 2 (G4-6), Which require you to discuss, count and demonstrate any aspect of the syllabus, plus your own teaching ideas for alternative strategies/ progression and development of technique as well as music choices with an examiner/s. There is also a requirement to pass an Anatomy and Physiology Diploma, a written MCQ paper. Once these are in place you can apply to take the Associate examination which covers all the lower grades with the technical aspects based on the Intermediate syllabus and includes a pointe work, choreography and a practical teaching component, with real students in the exam.

The IDTA Ballet syllabus is in process of being updated - Prep to Grade 2 has been released to teachers with the higher grades to be launched in the coming months, so it is an exciting time to begin with the IDTA. The new work and music is lovely - I hope you enjoy getting to know it!

Let me know if I can help further, but please do not hesitate to contact the IDTA Head Office in person via e-mail or telephone - they are very welcoming and helpful.

Best Wishes,

RK

The

Hi, I have just joined and spent most of yesterday evening reading through some really informative posts - thank you so much for making such a great resource for dancers!

Only an evening....? ;)

Welcome from me too :)

Only an evening....? ;)

Welcome from me too :)

JulieW - certainly not only an evening by this stage! I have been snooping on the site all day at work in stealth mode! I shall be here a lot more especially since I've been made to feel so welcome! :)

• Like 1

RK, you must be overwhelmed by questions as you seem to be a deep well of information... but I had one last thing to ask!

In my research, it seems that a few dance teacher choose to take the Freestyle qualification and then go on to teach different styles of dance under that umbrella. How does that work? I am fairly new to the world of dance teaching but wouldn't you need to be qualified in ballet to teach ballet, as for any other style? How does freestyle seem to cover everything?

Thanks again!

Hmmm, an interesting question!

Purely personally....

I only teach Ballet part-time (I have another full-time job in the "real-world").

I teach Ballet because I love it, thoroughly enjoy doing it and want to share my passion with others - I gained my teaching qualification in Ballet so that I could be as sure as possible that I was approaching the subject and it's teaching in as professional a manner as I could, knowing that I have the back-up of a professional body who continue to provide support, advice and ongoing professional development and training.

While holding my Licentiate qualification from the Ballet Faculty, I could enter students for examination across the Theatre subjects e.g. Tap, Modern Jazz, Theatre Craft (not sure about Freestyle). However, although I have attended classes and workshops in Jazz and Theatre Craft, I would not feel comfortable teaching these to students as I feel I do not have the breadth of knowledge required, such as I would have, if I had studied each discipline individually.

Other teachers at the studio I attend/ teach at hold Licentiate and Fellowship qualifications in ALL Faculties of the Theatre Branch (i.e. Ballet, Tap, Modern Jazz, Theatre Craft, Freestyle, Dance Exercise and Gymnastic Dance, basically everything except ballroom).

This is only my thoughts/ situation - everyone will have their own ideas I am sure.

How you proceed will depend on what you would like to teach/ achieve for yourself and your potential students.

Hope this helps,

RK

RK, you must be overwhelmed by questions as you seem to be a deep well of information... but I had one last thing to ask!

In my research, it seems that a few dance teacher choose to take the Freestyle qualification and then go on to teach different styles of dance under that umbrella. How does that work? I am fairly new to the world of dance teaching but wouldn't you need to be qualified in ballet to teach ballet, as for any other style? How does freestyle seem to cover everything?

Thanks again!

Hi and welcome to the forum. My DD IDTA Freestyle Teacher can only enter students for freestyle, rock and roll and street IDTA exams. Coming from a ballet background she is able to teach it as non syllabus but because she hasnt got the exam she is unable to follow the syllabus or enter students for IDTA Ballet.

Ax